GSP or Brittany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GSP or Brittany

I am fairly new to the forum and looking for opinions.

I have never owned a true bird dog and am looking to buy one soon. I would like a smaller breed and have narrowed it down to these two. I strictly dove hunt and would like a pup to be member of our family as well as retrieve. I have plenty of room for the dog to run and exercise but would like her to stay inside at night. I know labs are great dogs as well but with a little one in the house I would really like a little smaller dog.

Is there anything I am overlooking? What do those of you that have own/owned either one think would best fit my needs?

You might look at a Vizsla. We have one and she's a great dog. Just add exercise, daily.

Comment

Boykin.

Comment

Originally posted by BBBGP View Post
        Boykin.
        This will be one of my next dogs. The GSP are way too much energy for me now but great hunting dogs. I have ran many over the years guiding.

Comment

If all you want to do is hunt dove, I would stick with GSP, or Vizsla...and if you want small I'd lean Vizsla. My shorthairs were fantastic with kids, but they were still 60-65lb dogs.

Brittanys can be a little odd. I've seen some who just really didn't want to be pets, and some that only wanted to be pets. More than a few were pretty grumpy with kids, and I don't like the longhair for dove hunting....but they can definitely do it.
          Last edited by Dale Moser; 12-13-2017, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Neither really fit the bill as a pure retrieving dog, but of the two, a shorthair would probably operate better as a retriever given the natural instincts of the breeds.

That said, a small dog breed that would fit your needs well would be a Boykin. If you are open to considering them, I suggest you research them a bit before making a final decision.

Comment

Originally posted by npe001 View Post
              This will be one of my next dogs. The GSP are way too much energy for me now but great hunting dogs. I have ran many over the years guiding.
              I swear my boykin has so much energy that she has never slept.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by skinsfan View Post
                I am fairly new to the forum and looking for opinions.

I have never owned a true bird dog and am looking to buy one soon. I would like a smaller breed and have narrowed it down to these two. I strictly dove hunt and would like a pup to be member of our family as well as retrieve. I have plenty of room for the dog to run and exercise but would like her to stay inside at night. I know labs are great dogs as well but with a little one in the house I would really like a little smaller dog.

Is there anything I am overlooking? What do those of you that have own/owned either one think would best fit my needs?
                Wirehaired Viszla or pointing griffon

Comment

GSP all the way, but I guess I might be a little partial. Great all-around hunting and family dogs.

Just fyi - their pointers first, retriever second. Some "patience" might be needed to get your pointer dove hunting the way you want. Not at all saying it can't be done, because it most certainly can.

Comment

Originally posted by AZST_bowhunter View Post
                    Wirehaired Viszla or pointing griffon
                    Wirehaired Viszlas are a little smaller than the traditional viszla..Seen male viszla's that get up to 85#

Comment

I'd highly suggest a British Lab... They're smaller than a traditional lab... and with kids, there's no way I'd have a GSP... Of course, bein' a Lab guy myself, I had to have a GSP... NEVER AGAIN!! Highest strung dog I've ever seen... Hyper was an understatement... One of my buddies just got a British lab a year or 2 back, and she's a great dog. Only weighs about 35-40 pounds and has the typical Lab disposition...

Comment

I'm partial to GSP. Mine is honestly the calmest one I have ever been around but she can also be bouncing off the walls. Like stated earlier she is a pointer first, but will retrieve. She is also only about 50 lbs.

Comment

I vote GSP. Mine will do anything. Retrieve, point, blood trail. And she’s wonderful and all of it. She is hyper as all get out though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I really think you need a small lab.

Comment

I’ll throw 2 others out there to consider - Field bred English cocker or field bred English Springer Spaniels. These are much different than the show dogs. Both are on the smaller side. And not quite as crazy as the Brittany.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X