No announcement yet.

Allowing the Turks to take out our allies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it is time to bring our soldiers home. Why spill American blood in a region that has been at war since Biblical times. Many members of our Government want to continue to keep our soldiers in the region. I did one tour in the Middle East in 2003 into 2004 in Kuwait and Iraq. Its easy for some people in America to want war when they or their kids are safe at home and who will never serve in a combat zone ie: the political elite and their kids. I have a son in the Army, an Infantry unit. And I pray that he never has to go and fight useless war that will continue for another 1000 years, because these zealots can't get along with each other. One thing I will say about them though, is Middle Eastern Governments, are smart and corrupt. They know our politicians are stupid and our politicians will send them our kids to fight their war. This isn't our fight anymore. Its a fight that can't be won, EVER.

Comment

Originally posted by stickerpatch59 View Post
      idk, but I think that Trump will provide them with all the hardware and ammo they need... just no warm bodies.
      Too late for that. Turkey is already rolling in.

let them kill each other till their hearts content.
      NONE OF THEM are our friends imo.

they have been killing each other for centuries, why would they stop now?
      The Kurds have been our only reliable partner in the middle east outside of the Israelis. And we just ditched them with no warning, no time to make plans. How's that look to our other allies? I mean, really, how hard would it have been to spend the months in negotiations with Turkey and the Kurds to find a solution?

Comment

Here's the best article I've seen so far on this topic. I don't know anything about Jim Carfano, but if he's with the Heritage Foundation he is most likely solid. Good info...

Heritage Foundation's Jim Carafano, a foreign policy expert, weighs in on what Trump's Syria decision could mean for ISIS, the Kurds, and the Middle East.

Comment

And if Ilhan Omar is against pulling troops out, then pulling them out must be a good thing. She's clueless on most things, but she's in the loop with the terrorists and will side with them every time.

Ilhan Omar said in a tweet Monday that President Donald Trump's withdrawal of American forces from Northern Syria is going to

Comment

Originally posted by PlanoDano View Post
            https://apnews.com/456d16ba55284c0f8ab73b0467e02e53

Folks, what have we become? There were some underhanded maneuvers during the cold war but all and all we were on the side of right. We need to get back to living up to the values that made our country great.
            We are what we are, that is to say, we haven’t become anything different than what we have always been.

Where you are perplexed is that you have confused the enemy of our enemy as our friend. We aren’t friends. The enemy of our enemy often ends up being our next enemy, using our hardware, albeit outdated, against us.

As exhibit A I present to Afghanistan. Or maybe you prefer the Rebels in Libya.

Comment

Originally posted by lordvader View Post
              I think it is time to bring our soldiers home. Why spill American blood in a region that has been at war since Biblical times. Many members of our Government want to continue to keep our soldiers in the region. I did one tour in the Middle East in 2003 into 2004 in Kuwait and Iraq. Its easy for some people in America to want war when they or their kids are safe at home and who will never serve in a combat zone ie: the political elite and their kids. I have a son in the Army, an Infantry unit. And I pray that he never has to go and fight useless war that will continue for another 1000 years, because these zealots can't get along with each other. One thing I will say about them though, is Middle Eastern Governments, are smart and corrupt. They know our politicians are stupid and our politicians will send them our kids to fight their war. This isn't our fight anymore. Its a fight that can't be won, EVER.
              There was no blood being spilled while our troops were there. Erdogan has been losing support in Turkey having his hard-line religious party suffer defeat in Instanbul a few months ago to a more secularist party. He needs military action to try and drum up support and give an excuse to suspend what civil liberties remain.

Comment

From Shanes article -

What did the U.S. do? Well, if you actually read the statement of the Department of Defense, which actually explains this, we didn’t give permission for the Turks to do this. They didn’t ask permission. And the reality is we can’t stop them from doing this. We have a couple of hundred soldiers in the entire country. We don’t have enough … to prevent the Turks from doing anything unless we’re going to start bombing the Turkish military, which I don’t think we’re going to do.

So they didn’t ask our permission. They said they were going to do this and what we did, which was actually probably appropriate, [was] we made sure that Americans weren’t in harm’s way, so if things went bad, our guys wouldn’t get hurt.

Pretty good run down of the situation, we dont need to be the worlds police.

I was asking about how they fund these wars, because I have read that these fighters changes sides fairly regularly depending on who pays the most. I dont think that it is a surprise to a region that has spent most of its existence at war, that allies can change.

Comment

Originally posted by batmaninja View Post
                  ... we dont need to be the worlds police.
                  So what should we do about Israel?

Comment

The Turks arent attacking Israel Tfan

Comment

Originally posted by batmaninja View Post
                      The Turks arent attacking Israel Tfan

Not yet. But it is a concern. Quickly moving moving into a fundamentalist dictatorship and they have nukes. Nukes, that as I understand it we gave them.
                      I’d like nothing more than for the region to figure it out or die trying but left unchecked they will bring the fight back to our door. That’s my worry.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoof View Post
                        Not yet. But it is a concern. Quickly moving moving into a fundamentalist dictatorship and they have nukes. Nukes, that as I understand it we gave them.
                        I’d like nothing more than for the region to figure it out or die trying but left unchecked they will bring the fight back to our door. That’s my worry.
                        NUKES? who gave them to the Turks? I can guarantee it wasn't Trump.

BTW... I don't think that they have any nukes. if there ever were any there the U.S. would have removed them long ago. … I hope

Comment

aren't these weapons on U.S. military controlled installations and probably carried by U.S. aircraft?

I don't think that the Turks have any tactical control over these weapons.

Comment

I'm a little torn on whole deal & wish I knew more about the effects of the various fallouts depending on who is the victor...my concern is the leaving creates an screwed up vacuum to create new chaos. It's so complicated with Russia having her tentacles in it too. I don't know enough to know if the resources involved help or hurt the US?? Seems like such a small fraction of presence for the toll this little corner of the world is taking with our leaving.

I predict sanctions for Turkey.

Comment

aren't these weapons on U.S. military controlled installations and probably carried by U.S. aircraft?

I don't think that the Turks have any tactical control over these weapons.
                              Correct. Turkey is not a nuclear state.

But they have become much more fundamentally Islamic under Erdogan. He's basically a full on dictator now, who has increasingly turned to Russia for support.

Comment

Working...
                              X