Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Those Who've Had a Dog Rattlesnake Bit...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those Who've Had a Dog Rattlesnake Bit...

Our heeler cross got it on the foot late last night. Didn't see the snake, but the vet thinks it was a rattler based on there being hair missing from the bite area? Not sure about that but his leg is swollen and bloodied. They've got him on steroids and fluids and mostly we're just waiting.

For those that have been through this, how long until they've shown improvement?

Did they lose the leg?

What percentage of 45lb dogs make it through this?

I feel aweful for him, and he's my son's little buddy. We haven't told him yet because the dog is staying at his grandads while we prep to leave on vacation tomorrow. He will be crushed if his blue dog doesn't pull through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no first hand experience, but from what I have read I think he has a pretty good chance of making it.

Comment

We have had three get bit from a rattle snake. My moms old dog died from it but she was very old and was only around 5 pounds. Chances are good for yours to be fine. Fluids and dexometosome was my go to for snake bites.

Comment

I'm no help. But I sure hate to hear it. Hope he makes it for the little man, and the family.

Comment

We were dove hunting in West Tx about 10 years ago and a guy we were with had his dog with him retrieving birds for us. She got bit right on the chest by a 4ft rattler and she probably weighed 55lbs or so. Her neck was really swollen and she laid around for a few days but slowly got over it. I'd say there's a good chance it'll be fine. I've had several dogs get bit by copperheads and recovered fine without a vet visit

Comment

My son's Vizsla got hit on the nose a few years ago. Vet gave him steroids & antibiotics and sent him home. He was swole up for a few days & is fine now.

Comment

Not by a rattler but my 25# Rat Terrier got bit by a copperhead last month and where one of the fangs hit the hair didn't grow back.
              One fang got her in the lip right over her fang tooth and the other hit her check under her eye. Swelled her little ol head up good!!
              We gave her some Benadryl that night and the next morning and in 3-4 days, other than the hair missing, you couldn't even tell she'd been bit.
              I figure a rattler bite has got to be worse than a copperhead.
              I hope your little buddy gets through it alright Dale.

Comment

Hate to hear about your boys dog and hopefully he will pull through. Them ol heelers are pretty tough.

Comment

I've known of a lot of dogs that have been snake bit. All but two survived. Some were fairly small dogs. Older dogs seem to have the most trouble getting over a snake bite. I think your dog will be just fine. They seem to just get really tired. Dogs are way tough.

One of my friends dog get bit a few weeks ago....7 times! But it's a pitbull and obviously it wasn't just playing with the rattlesnake. It was trying to kill it. I'm guessin it got the job done.
                  Last edited by okrattler; 06-17-2017, 10:20 PM.

Comment

no help, but I hear dogs fare better with a rattler bite than humans do.

Comment

My dad Rotty got hit in the face. She lived, but she would have died if he hadn't taken her collar off.

Comment

All 4 dogs that we've owned while living here, have been bit by rattlers. 3 in the muzzle and one in the leg. Lot of swelling and a little lethargic but they all came through fine. Hope yours will come through too.

Comment

If your vacation is 5 days long you will be good. Dogs are tougher than the manliest man. German short haired pointer was bit on the bottom lip and it took every bit of five days before it would act normal and eat a full meal. The first 24 hours are scary but relax and have faith.

Comment

Seen a lot of dogs get snakebite, most survived, hot weather like we're having now is really hard on them, the dogs that didn't make we're mostly bit in inner mouth or throat area behind the jaw, swelling cut off the airway.

Comment

One of my buddies always has at least one dog get bit every year. He's always just given them Benadryl and let them sleep it off. Pretty incredible animals to be able to withstand that. When I got bit I took a Benadryl and it.....oh you know.....did absolutely nothing. Two hours later I'm like "Well my hand is still swelling up."lol

Comment

Working...
                              X