Crappie withdrawals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Texas Stalker View Post
    Well, got there at day break and caught about 60 before 11am. All dinks but 6. That lake is dink city last couple years. Guess I’m gonna have to figure Fork out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Sounds exactly like trip to Aquilla Friday!

Comment

I have had a couple of pretty poor trips this week on brush piles. I decided to fish standing timber but after 2 hours I only had 3 fish .

I figured as hot as it was the fish should be deep so I started easing through the stumps headed across a big shallow flat to another creek bed.
      Anyone who has been on LOP knows it is a dangerous place to run a boat so since I was just idling along I had my side scan running.
      I came across a long rock pile in 6 foot of water. It came within 2 foot of the surface and would be a heck of a boat killer if you hit it.

I noticed it was covered up with fish on the down wind side. I figured it was catfish but decided to pitch a jig up on it anyway.

Pretty much every cast was either a catfish or slab crappie. For the next 2 hours I caught 20 crappie and threw back 30 catfish.

The wind was stacking the baby shad up against the pile and every time one washed over the top it got hammered.

I would have never thought to look for crappie in 2’ of water in the middle of summer

Click image for larger version

Name:	830C6B0A-A9BD-4CF7-BE02-07A47485326E.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	24546420

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
        I have had a couple of pretty poor trips this week on brush piles. I decided to fish standing timber but after 2 hours I only had 3 fish .

I figured as hot as it was the fish should be deep so I started easing through the stumps headed across a big shallow flat to another creek bed.
        Anyone who has been on LOP knows it is a dangerous place to run a boat so since I was just idling along I had my side scan running.
        I came across a long rock pile in 6 foot of water. It came within 2 foot of the surface and would be a heck of a boat killer if you hit it.

I noticed it was covered up with fish on the down wind side. I figured it was catfish but decided to pitch a jig up on it anyway.

Pretty much every cast was either a catfish or slab crappie. For the next 2 hours I caught 20 crappie and threw back 30 catfish.

The wind was stacking the baby shad up against the pile and every time one washed over the top it got hammered.

I would have never thought to look for crappie in 2’ of water in the middle of summer

[ATTACH]915782[/ATTACH]
        Very interesting, and something I'd have never thought of either. Congratulations, sounds like a honey hole.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

That's awesome!! You never know! Find the baitfish the crappie are usually close by!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Slew View Post
            That's awesome!! You never know! Find the baitfish the crappie are usually close by!

You forgot to tell everyone “bad shad”

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
              You forgot to tell everyone “bad shad”

I'm never gonna show my whole hand!! Grew up public land duck hunting! Still lots of lie and deny in me!!![emoji2]

Comment

I'm never gonna show my whole hand!! Grew up public land duck hunting! Still lots of lie and deny in me!!![emoji2]

I forget how to talk. And become mute. That way I don't have to lie.

The fish are biting. And there's hogs to be kilt. Gotta go!

Comment

I finally got to go fishing yesterday, the first time in well over a year. I say fishing, my youngest son and I went to Lake Fork, but I was to busy trying to learn to operate the Solix. I never picked up a fishing rod. He did fish some, but we didn't catch anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith View Post
                    I finally got to go fishing yesterday, the first time in well over a year. I say fishing, my youngest son and I went to Lake Fork, but I was to busy trying to learn to operate the Solix. I never picked up a fishing rod. He did fish some, but we didn't catch anything.

Look up every now and then to see where your going! You get so fixed on that screen scanning you will about drive right into something!!![emoji2]

Comment

You've got that right! First thing I did when I got on the water around 3 yesterday was to drive down the shaded side of 154 bridge side scanning under the bridge. Almost found myself hitting a few pylons because I wasn't paying close enough attention LOL
                      Look up every now and then to see where your going! You get so fixed on that screen scanning you will about drive right into something!!![emoji2]

Comment

Heck this will be a good 1000th post here!! CAT Tawakoni qualifier in the books! Back to back wins and big fish! Went there 4-5 times in the last month and the big fish have been MIA! Can catch a cooler full every trip though with little effort! Usually fish are set up on timber good this time of year but they aren't this year for some reason. We fished brush piles last weekend and had around 10 pounds and decided that was our game plan and we stuck with it. Brush was crowded as that was many folks same plan as well but we hit several good piles and caught fish all day long! Probably culled through several hundred fish to end up with 9.84 and a 1.80 big fish. Bonehead slim sticks in grapevine and white lightning and hand ties in similar colors and a shad pattern put all our fish in the boat! It got hot once the wind laid down! On to Texoma! Need a good finish there to lock up AOY!!

Comment

Heck this will be a good 1000th post here!! CAT Tawakoni qualifier in the books! Back to back wins and big fish! Went there 4-5 times in the last month and the big fish have been MIA! Can catch a cooler full every trip though with little effort! Usually fish are set up on timber good this time of year but they aren't this year for some reason. We fished brush piles last weekend and had around 10 pounds and decided that was our game plan and we stuck with it. Brush was crowded as that was many folks same plan as well but we hit several good piles and caught fish all day long! Probably culled through several hundred fish to end up with 9.84 and a 1.80 big fish. Bonehead slim sticks in grapevine and white lightning and hand ties in similar colors and a shad pattern put all our fish in the boat! It got hot once the wind laid down! On to Texoma! Need a good finish there to lock up AOY!!

That's awesome! Congratulations! Slew is a crappie catching machine!

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Congrats Slew! Well erned.

The fish are biting. And there's hogs to be kilt. Gotta go!

Comment

Attaboy Slew....

Comment

Working...
                                X