Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Current Events - Politics and Such

Old 07-20-2018, 11:47 AM   #1
batmaninja
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country
Default Cohen tapes Trump

WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump's longtime lawyer, Michael Cohen, secretly recorded a conversation with Trump two months before the presidential election in which they discussed payments to a former Playboy model who said she had an affair with Trump, according to lawyers and others familiar with the recording.

The FBI seized the recording this year during a raid on Cohen's office. The Justice Department is investigating Cohen's involvement in paying women to tamp down embarrassing news stories about Trump before the 2016 election. Prosecutors want to know whether that violated federal campaign finance laws, and any conversation with Trump about those payments would be of keen interest to them.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/dona...-playboy-model

I cant imagine that this will end well for Trump. Seems like more a distraction.

I still dont see how Trump did anything illegal. And it still seems like a fishing expedition by prosecutors. Furthermore, I want to say that NY is a two party consent state when it comes to recording phone calls.
batmaninja is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2018, 11:50 AM   #2
simek
Ten Point

Reminds me of something I heard about getting your hand stuck in the cookie jar.

Last edited by simek; 07-20-2018 at 11:52 AM. Reason: spelling
simek is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2018, 11:50 AM   #3
Clay C
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by batmaninja View Post
WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump's longtime lawyer, Michael Cohen, secretly recorded a conversation with Trump two months before the presidential election in which they discussed payments to a former Playboy model who said she had an affair with Trump, according to lawyers and others familiar with the recording.

The FBI seized the recording this year during a raid on Cohen's office. The Justice Department is investigating Cohen's involvement in paying women to tamp down embarrassing news stories about Trump before the 2016 election. Prosecutors want to know whether that violated federal campaign finance laws, and any conversation with Trump about those payments would be of keen interest to them.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/dona...-playboy-model

I cant imagine that this will end well for Trump. Seems like more a distraction.

I still dont see how Trump did anything illegal. And it still seems like a fishing expedition by prosecutors. Furthermore, I want to say that NY is a two party consent state when it comes to recording phone calls.

So is this supposed to be the link to Russia? Did they finally get him this time? What a joke.
Clay C is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2018, 12:28 PM   #4
bownutone
Eight Point

Hunt In: Scrappin Valley

Is this a common practice for lawyers to record client conversations?
Seems like this would be attorney-client privilege or something.
bownutone is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2018, 01:04 PM   #5
Playa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

I will be interested to see how the “Evangelical” faction of Trump support spins this, particularly Franklin Graham
Playa is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2018, 01:17 PM   #6
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

Kinda guy I expected he was when voted for him
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2018, 02:36 PM   #7
cuttingedge
Ten Point

Hunt In: hardly at all here

I think the point is that he and his staff lied to the American people about this issue. He has most likely lied about others.

I for one am not OK with all of his lies and Bolshevik tactics to try to change the focus or blame someone else for everything that happens, and to claim credit for things he clearly didn't accomplish.

Trump is what I call a snow-blower. You never know what is going to come out of his mouth and half the time it seems it is impossible for it to be true and the other half totally bloated for self gain.
cuttingedge is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2018, 02:48 PM   #8
Ironman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere

She lost. Get over it!
Ironman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2018, 03:06 PM   #9
Bazo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttingedge View Post
I think the point is that he and his staff lied to the American people about this issue. He has most likely lied about others.

I for one am not OK with all of his lies and Bolshevik tactics to try to change the focus or blame someone else for everything that happens, and to claim credit for things he clearly didn't accomplish.

Trump is what I call a snow-blower. You never know what is going to come out of his mouth and half the time it seems it is impossible for it to be true and the other half totally bloated for self gain.
Are you talking about Trump or Obama? Because this sure sounds like Obama.
Bazo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2018, 03:06 PM   #10
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

Quote:
geez ya make it sound like its an everyday thing with him.
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2018, 03:08 PM   #11
JFISHER
Pope & Young

Hunt In: BWD

She must be Russian...
JFISHER is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2018, 03:11 PM   #12
batmaninja
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazo View Post
Are you talking about Trump or Obama? Because this sure sounds like Obama.
Or even the media.

For what it is worth. I dont think this tape about payments relates to dirty washed up P star. I think this payment was about the ex-playboy model.

I still think that them going after an attorney/client tape shows how desperate they really are. I mean, wasnt the original warrant supposed to be related back to Russia.
batmaninja is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2018, 03:16 PM   #13
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX

It is kinda like the Clinton/Monica deal. I don't think most people really care. It isn't like he was voted in on his moral character. Now if he has some recording of something Russian, that would matter.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2018, 03:21 PM   #14
Clay C
Ten Point

How anyone can still claim this investigation is legit is beyond me. It's clearly an investigation of person in an attempt to find a crime.

Freaking ridiculous. You'd have to be full on boot licker status to support it at this point.

The fact it's being led by a man with a history of being a complete POS just makes it even better.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:23 PM   #15
Clay C
Ten Point

Quote:

I'm confused. Is he a NAZI, or a Bolshevik? If the latter, why are actual communists out there in the media tearing him down every day?
Old 07-20-2018, 03:33 PM   #16
CastAndBlast
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Liberty Co.

Quote:

Lol...a lib talking about changing focus and blame...this **** just got good!
CastAndBlast is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2018, 04:10 PM   #17
Coup de Grace
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Trophy Hunting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
She lost. Get over it!
Coup de Grace is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2018, 04:43 PM   #18
JFISHER
Pope & Young

Hunt In: BWD

This just in... Vladimir Putin has ties to RUSSIA... and CNN is reporting that Trump KNEW all ALONG!!!!1!
JFISHER is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2018, 05:16 PM   #19
IkemanTX
Eight Point

Hunt In: Caddo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa View Post
I will be interested to see how the “Evangelical” faction of Trump support spins this, particularly Franklin Graham

I don’t have to spin anything. I hate all politicians, but sure am enjoying the policy goals getting done. Especially if this Supreme Court pick goes well.

I didn’t vote for the guy, but if he keeps accomplishing policy goals at the rate he is going, I will next time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IkemanTX is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2018, 05:27 PM   #20
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever

I doubt the tapes will lead to anything significant....besides proving the lawyer as another sleezy scumbag, which I think is apparent by former information about him...….and the fact he is recording his client...….yikes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFISHER View Post
She must be Russian...
………….or from Slovenia!
Quote:
This has been a huge internal question since before he got the nomination? I guess stranger alliances have occurred in American politics...…….well, maybe not.
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2018, 05:27 PM   #21
Duckologist
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bownutone View Post
Is this a common practice for lawyers to record client conversations?
Seems like this would be attorney-client privilege or something.
It was attorney-client privledg until the corrupt FBI raided Cohen's office and seized everything including the tape

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Duckologist is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2018, 05:44 PM   #22
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

I hope I'm still knocking it off at 70
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2018, 05:56 PM   #23
cuttingedge
Ten Point

Hunt In: hardly at all here

I'm just glad I can see past my nose, as some clearly cannot and would find an excuse for him if he was caught on video killing a baby with a sledgehammer. "It's just Trump being Trump... He's non-conventional".

I voted for him. I would never have voted for Hillary so let's get that straight.

But this guy, he's a POS. How he is undermining our relationships with our allies and buddying up to our foes is beyond comprehension. I don't see at this point how anyone can defend his actions.
cuttingedge is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2018, 06:04 PM   #24
Ironman
Pope & Young

Quote:
I'm just glad I can see past my nose, as some clearly cannot and would find an excuse for him if he was caught on video killing a baby with a sledgehammer. "It's just Trump being Trump... He's non-conventional".

I voted for him. I would never have voted for Hillary so let's get that straight.

But this guy, he's a POS. How he is undermining our relationships with our allies and buddying up to our foes is beyond comprehension. I don't see at this point how anyone can defend his actions.
You regurgitate EXACTLY what you hear the MSM say.

By undermining, you mean holding countries feet to the fire in NATO, and buddying up to, you mean talking to Putin, as every other President has done since Putin was in power. Give me a freaking break!!
Old 07-20-2018, 06:19 PM   #25
Clay C
Ten Point

Default Cohen tapes Trump

Quote:

please stop listening to sound bites and look at what he’s actually doing. He has been tougher on Russia in under 2 years Than the previous 4 admins over the past 20 years. Pleading with our allies to contribute more to NATO (an organisation formed to combat whom again?), restrengthening our military, arming states in danger of being annexed by the very country he’s being accused of being a plug for helps our enemies, how?

Last edited by Clay C; 07-20-2018 at 06:22 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:20 PM   #26
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

Quote:

With legal toking in Colorado I just don't see how you would have a care in the world about anything but another bag of tater chips.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2018, 06:32 PM   #27
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher County

So he got some trim on the side BEFORE he was elected
Big freaking whoop!! Geez!!
Slick Willy couldn’t even keep it in his pants (including cigars) WHILE IN THE OVAL OFFICE! There’s a big darn difference here IMO. And the libs still celebrate “all things Clinton” at every turn. Seriously
RascalArms is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2018, 06:33 PM   #28
Clay C
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RascalArms View Post
So he got some trim on the side BEFORE he was elected
Big freaking whoop!! Geez!!
Slick Willy couldn’t even keep it in his pants (including cigars) WHILE IN THE OVAL OFFICE! There’s a big darn difference here IMO. And the libs still celebrate “all things Clinton” at every turn. Seriously

Including the last Clinton to run for president calling Bill’s accusers sluts and liars.

Don’t worry. People will be along soon to tell you that context is irrelevant.

Old 07-20-2018, 07:24 PM   #29
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
It is kinda like the Clinton/Monica deal. I don't think most people really care. It isn't like he was voted in on his moral character. Now if he has some recording of something Russian, that would matter.
This is just more proof of liberal hypocrisy. BJ's in the oval office is no big deal, everyone does it. But when they even remotely think they can say Trump had sex outside marriage (before he ran for President) it's just horrific!
RiverRat1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2018, 07:57 PM   #30
Barrett
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tarpley

had nothing to do with the oval office or said act. he lied to the American people under oath. Similar to today only not under oath.
Barrett is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2018, 08:24 PM   #31
Ironman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
had nothing to do with the oval office or said act. he lied to the American people under oath. Similar to today only not under oath.
You mean it runs in the family?
Old 07-20-2018, 09:12 PM   #32
LWC
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
Would or Wouldn't he lie to the American people? That is the question
LWC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2018, 10:11 PM   #33
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
What Trump done before he was t POTUS is NOTHING in comparison to the "Clinton/Monica deal". Nowhere even close..

Not to mention the list of Clinton associates that have suicided themselves....
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2018, 10:12 PM   #34
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Old 07-21-2018, 07:25 AM   #35
sir shovelhands
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
I for one don't care about the sex lives of our politicians, and think that's their own business. But I too find it ironic and hypocritical that the morality wing of the republican party is silent.
sir shovelhands is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-21-2018, 09:10 AM   #36
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Some talk of the recording being illegal in NY. Seems it's a both parties must consent sort of thing in that state. Cohen may be in more trouble than POTUS over this. And BTW, kudos to Trump for nailing all them hot ones. If only I had his money-------------
Old 07-21-2018, 11:38 AM   #37
Duckologist
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir shovelhands View Post
I for one don't care about the sex lives of our politicians, and think that's their own business. But I too find it ironic and hypocritical that the morality wing of the republican party is silent.
They're silent because they likely don't want a light shined on their digressions

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Duckologist is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-21-2018, 01:04 PM   #38
Ironman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Let those without sin cast the first stone. Now those are the hypocrites.
Old 07-21-2018, 01:14 PM   #39
Froggy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise/Montague/Public land

She looks so good even my wife would be proud if I brought her home.

Name:  Model.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  102.4 KB
Froggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-21-2018, 01:54 PM   #40
sir shovelhands
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzlebrake View Post
Some talk of the recording being illegal in NY. Seems it's a both parties must consent sort of thing in that state. Cohen may be in more trouble than POTUS over this. And BTW, kudos to Trump for nailing all them hot ones. If only I had his money-------------
It's a one party state: https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/laws/PEN/250.00

" 1. "Wiretapping" means the intentional overhearing or recording of a telephonic or telegraphic communication by a person other than a sender or receiver thereof, without the consent of either the sender or receiver, by means of any instrument, device or equipment. The normal operation of a telephone or telegraph corporation and the normal use of the services and facilities furnished by such corporation pursuant to its tariffs or necessary to protect the rights or property of said corporation shall not be deemed "wiretapping.""

So no problems for Cohen.
Old 07-21-2018, 03:08 PM   #41
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Quote:
It's a one party state: https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/laws/PEN/250.00

" 1. "Wiretapping" means the intentional overhearing or recording of a telephonic or telegraphic communication by a person other than a sender or receiver thereof, without the consent of either the sender or receiver, by means of any instrument, device or equipment. The normal operation of a telephone or telegraph corporation and the normal use of the services and facilities furnished by such corporation pursuant to its tariffs or necessary to protect the rights or property of said corporation shall not be deemed "wiretapping.""

So no problems for Cohen.
You might want to re-do your research http://www.copilevitz-canter.com/com...call-recording

However since the call may have happened before the new law it may not be retroactive. If after 2017 it would have been illegal. Depends on when the law became effective and how it was written I guess.

Last edited by muzzlebrake; 07-21-2018 at 03:11 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:55 PM   #42
sir shovelhands
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzlebrake View Post
You might want to re-do your research http://www.copilevitz-canter.com/com...call-recording

However since the call may have happened before the new law it may not be retroactive. If after 2017 it would have been illegal. Depends on when the law became effective and how it was written I guess.
Respectfully, I'll decline. Part of my research was reading that specific article. You might have noticed this line:
"The law, which goes into effect immediately, applies to business to consumer sales calls."

You'll find that article is referencing NY senate bill 4361:
https://legislation.nysenate.gov/pdf/bills/2017/S4361

Which is an amendment to the NY General Business Law Section 399-PP and 399-Z:https://www.dos.ny.gov/licensing/lawbooks/TELEMARK.pdf

Which very clearly states that only telemarketers are affected by that law.

Last edited by sir shovelhands; 07-22-2018 at 12:02 AM.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:06 AM   #43
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

An honest politician is like a black panther We have all heard they exist but no one has seen one
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 09:13 AM   #44
AZST_bowhunter
Ten Point

This is not going to stop.. They are going to do this right up to the next presidential election, all they are doing is character assassination. This is all in hopes that they will be able to get their faction that voted for Donald back to voting for the left. If he was one of the elite chosen ones that they were okay with being the president then this wouldn't still be going on. There is dirt on every one of these crook politicians, they just don't let it out. Look at the Clintons, the media completely ignores the Foundation, Haiti, and Bills trips to pedo island...
AZST_bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 10:03 AM   #45
jer_james
Ten Point

Cohen is an idiot
jer_james is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 10:24 AM   #46
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, McCulloch,Menard Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer_james View Post
Cohen is an idiot
You would certainly know one.
M16 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 10:43 AM   #47
jer_james
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by M16 View Post
Haha - do you think he is an idiot?
jer_james is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 11:02 AM   #48
Clay C
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer_james View Post
Cohen is an idiot
Seriously. Or at the least just a hardcore sleazeball. Why in the world a lawyer would ever tape a client is unknown to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M16 View Post

Come on. There is no need for that.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:06 AM   #49
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Honestly, does anyone trust their lawyer or any lawyer????
Surely not.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:19 AM   #50
Clay C
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaxidermy View Post
Honestly, does anyone trust their lawyer or any lawyer????
Surely not.
Well that is a good point, but there is certainly an expectation of privacy. Without it the justice system does not work. There is so much wrong with this entire situation I don't know where to start.