My DIY Lifetime Target

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My DIY Lifetime Target

I got tired of going through bag targets and the rubber/foam targets are a pain to pull arrows from so I decided to build myself a lifetime target.

I made mine 3' x 3' x 12". For the main structure I used some 1/2" OSB I had laying around.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21369959110.827599.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	24967140

I used 2x3s for a border around the inside to give me something to staple the poultry netting to. The poultry netting I got for free from Jerp. He had some leftover from his target build.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21369959246.509053.jpg
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	24967144

I lined the outside with some old fence slats to help stiffen it up and give it some character.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21369959297.209062.jpg
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	24967145

I then covered the netting in a black trash can liner. This will give it a more uniform color behind the target face.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21369959448.642877.jpg
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	24967150

Finally, I stapled on the target faces that you can get from Third Hand Archery. The $35.00 I spent on the target faces is the only money I have spent on this project.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21369959527.026074.jpg
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	24967151

After filling it with clothes I gave it a test run at about 5'. Shouldn't have any issues with a pass through.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21369959590.775794.jpg
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	24967152

The only thing I have left to do on it is add some trim to cover the edges of the target face and add some handles.

That's sweet!

Comment

I like it

Comment

hope you didnt put any jeans in there,i had trouble pulling arrows out of jeans,btw looks AWSOME!!!!

Comment

that's really cool but I really don't like the chicken wire is it metal or plastic?

Comment

Originally posted by paintman View Post
            hope you didnt put any jeans in there,i had trouble pulling arrows out of jeans,btw looks AWSOME!!!!
            No jeans. I had heard people were having problems with jeans in the targets.

Comment

Originally posted by kabob View Post
              that's really cool but I really don't like the chicken wire is it metal or plastic?
              I should have clarified, it's the green plastic netting. Some people use the metal chicken wire but I chose not to.

Comment

Originally posted by TxTechBowhunter View Post
                I should have clarified, it's the green plastic netting. Some people use the metal chicken wire but I chose not to.
                that sounds a lot better Ive been wanting to build me a big target bale so I can practice long distance (FITA round) and I think that would work great

Comment

Nice work!

Comment

Looks good where did you get all the clothing for this target?

Comment

Sweet should last a while

Comment

that looks pretty nice, no issue with the arrows hitting the poultry netting and damaging an arrow? I would think any old clothing would work, old towels, t-shirts etc did you just stuff them in?

Comment

That turned out great Chad. I have been shooting at mine 4-5 times a week for almost a year and it has held up very well. After about 6 months the stuffing had settled a bit so I just I took the top off and repacked it. I will probably have to replace the face at some point but I'm convinced it is the best way to go for an everyday target.

Comment

Originally posted by Eastonoutdoors View Post
                            Looks good where did you get all the clothing for this target?
                            Old t-shirts, towels, and sheets from myself and other family members. Took about 3 - 55 gallon trash bags full of clothes to fill it.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                              That turned out great Chad. I have been shooting at mine 4-5 times a week for almost a year and it has held up very well. After about 6 months the stuffing had settled a bit so I just I took the top off and repacked it. I will probably have to replace the face at some point but I'm convinced it is the best way to go for an everyday target.
                              I believe that if you use the Third Hand Archery Target face and it needs to be replaced its free under warranty. I am looking at building these for our 4H group. He also sells a 4' x 4' blank white face.

Comment

Working...
                              X