Circular polarizing filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Circular polarizing filters

For all of you that have been doing this a lot longer than me. I was hoping maybe you could share some tips and tricks when it comes to using a polarizing filter. I just purchased what i would consider a mid range filter, and i understand that you basically rotate the filter to achieve your desired effect. I was just curious if anyone would be so kind as to share some learned wisdom about them with me.

It does it's job when the lens is perpendicular to the light/sun.

Comment

So I guess time of day is everything when using them

Comment

Not necessarily. You can get good results any time of day depending on your subject and lighting. They not only enhance skies but knock down reflections helping color saturation. Best thing to do is get out and play with it....and read up on them.

FacebookTweet Care, Feeding & Proper Use There are few more important things that a nature photographer can do to improve his or her photography than...

Comment

Thanks for the advice and the link. I've been reading up a little bit on them. Unfortunately I didn't get to mess with it much today. Tomorrow I will make to get out there and tinker around with it

Comment

You'll enjoy it. Post pics when you get em!

Comment

Will do

Comment

I use one almost always when I'm shooting outdoors. Even when I don't have perfectly perpendicular angles with the sun, I like the glare reduction that a polarizer gives you. The only downside is the loss of light which requires a reduction in shutter speed.

Comment

I need to use mine more.
                  This weekend is bringing some opportunity!

Comment

Used to be that polarizers were used mostly by amateurs trying to darken the sky and make the clouds pop. With the post processing software today I do not use my polarizer for specifically that purpose. In LR you can use the graduated filter to get the same effect. Probably even better results doing it in post process because you get an even shading across the whole sky versus being darker on one side or the other.
                    I use my polarizer for the same reason Shane mentioned above. It will cut the glare and harshness during mid day sun.
                    Like others have above, I would recommend getting one and then shooting with and without it at the same subjects and you will soon start seeing the difference.
                    Just don't expect fast shutter speeds while using one unless you crank up your ISO.

Comment

Working...
                    X