Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

thinking about Matthews bows... which one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hillary View Post
    I think the A2A depends on a personal feel.

I am 5'4", so shooting a 33-34" bow just makes me look silly, and it is hard for me to balance. I shoot a DXT (26"@60lbs) and it flys, I honestly don't feel the need to upgrade.

I think it is true with all bows that you will find one to fit you. A shorter bow works for me because I feel it is more versitle.

The SB XT was follwed nicely by the DXT, who was followed and improved with the Z7. I don't think you cann go wrong in anyway with a Single Cam Mathews.... (not trying to harp on the dual-cam, because I am a total Mathews fan) But I feel that is Mathew's shine on the single cam models.

(unless you are into the speed game, in that case it is a different thread....)

I don't think you can go wrong buying an older Mathews that fits you. Don't feel the need to go out and rig up a new one just because, give the older models a chance (there is a reason they are still around being talked about)

thanks! that was SUPER helpful! may see if I can find someone who will let me shoot their Switchback or Outback....

Comment

Originally posted by huntinpool View Post
      Go to Smithfield Archery and shoot all the new models. you can shoot as long as you want and TRY THEM ALL. You will know what feels best after that. Speed isn't everything but if it is real fast you could shoot a lower poundage which means you hold less poundage. That's always an advantage when game hangs up and you have to wait a little.
      yep, think I need to do just that. need to get this project done now during the offseason.... gonna head over to Smithfield in the next couple of weeks. kinda backed up with work now but I'm gonna get that done.

Comment

Mark....I would not judge ata based on your height alone...there are plenty of shorter people who shoot much longer (37"+) ATA bows in the target world as they tend to be more forgiving and balanced.

It is all about your own personal feel, fit and comfort. .... The 33" bow is more of a happy medium....that being said the dxt is a great bow...try the shorter atas but don't pass on the comfort of a regular switchback, drenalin or reezen because you aren't 6' tall.

Comment

I shoot a 70# DXT and love it. Its smaller, and more compact; so it works better for me sitting in a tree. I don't have to worry about it hitting my legs in a sitting position...and it is deadly accurate.

Comment

I just sold my DXT. It was a great bow. I don't see how anyone could not like it, and the prices on used ones are cheap with everyone running to the Z7. I shot the Z7 and did not like it near as well as the DXT. In the long run the Maxxis 31 is what fit me best. Wish I could of kept my DXT and had 2 bows.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark44 View Post
              thanks! that was SUPER helpful! may see if I can find someone who will let me shoot their Switchback or Outback....
              If you are ever in the Austin area, you are more than welcome to shoot my Outback. I love the short ATA. Real smooth draw and decent wall. The wall isn't as firm as my old Mathew Z-Light, though. I know what you mean by feeling like you could just hand it to someone else while at full draw. I love that too. You don't quite get that with the Outback. I have a short draw length of 27.5 and I'm getting around 260 fps out of it. I'm going to do some work to it over the next month and try to get a little better performance out of it.

Comment

If you're going to get a Mathews I would suggest getting a new Z7. I thought it shot the best out of all of the Mathews. Even though I'm a Hoyt guy I think the Z7 is a close second in quality.

Comment

Look hard at the specs on the Mathews web site. If money is a problem look for a used Drenlin or the DXT. A lot of folks want the Z7 or the speedy Monster making DXT and Drenlins available on the used market.. I still prefer a solocam, they are easier to tune and keep tuned.
                  The Z7 is only 7 fps faster than the DXT. The Drenlin is a smooth bow to draw, quiet, soft on the hand and very accurate.
                  The choice is personal or financial, either of the three are easy to shoot well with.

Comment

Don't forget the Mathews Conquest 4, a great long ATA bow , 41", I also have a DXT and like them, and shoot them both.
                    My vote is to get what you like and shoot the best.

Comment

All the Mathews I have seen in the last 6 years are great bows. I shoot the LX and will continue. Find a good deal and enjoy! I believe strongly into putting more time into hunting deer and hogs and less into hunting equipment!!!!

Comment

I got a Drenalin and a DXT and love them both.

Comment

You need to shoot as many different bows as you can. You will know which one you like and which one fits you the best. My personal opinion is the Monster 7 is the best bow I've ever shot.

Comment

if ur a tree hunter cant go wrong with the dxt

Comment

Originally posted by InfantryCPT View Post
                              A little background, I was a true blue Hoyt fan, and never owned anything other than, wanted to see what all the rage with Mathews was about, I like a little speed in my bow after reading numerous reviews and posts on how bad folks thought the Reezen was...I bought one and love it, truly the best bow I've ever owned, and with that said every review I ever saw on the DXT and the Drenalin were nothing but compliments, so even if it is half as good folks claim it to be, I would think either of these would suit you. Additionally having purchased my Reezen on ebay, I can tell you the market is flooded with the DXTs, Drens, Reezens, Monsters and Switchbacks as everyone is running to pick up their new Z7s. I've seen full kits go for less than 500. Good luck in your search
                              That is how i picked up my Switchback XT 520.00 with shipping, nice price, last 10 seconds bang 500 buck aroos

Comment

Working...
                              X