1979 cj7 amc20 rebuild?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 cj7 amc20 rebuild?

So I am restoring a 79 cj7 and am to the point of rebuilding the amc20 rear end is there anyone that could possibly help me out or does this on the side I am not very knowledgeable of diffs but need the rear diff done and the front Dana 44 done, the rear diff has about 2" of play in the pinion I believe. Any help is appreciated thanks all! IN THE TOMBALL AREA.

Or anyone that has a reliable guy or shop that would do this rebuild would be great

Comment

I have a guy that works for me...all he does outside of work is rebuild jeeps. Hes down in the Pearland area around beltway 8 & 45......i can pm you his number if you want

As a matter of fact, i know another guy very well here in Baytown. Thats his business......building and rebuilding rear ends/differentials
      I can pm that contact info too
      Last edited by K. Lane; 05-25-2018, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Texas auto gear on 1488 in magnolia....thats what they do.

Comment

Get your gears done by a pro, but plan your entire jeep build before they start working.

Decide how "built" you want your axles including final tire size so that you pay for the gear set-up labor one time. If you are staying with stock parts, then you are ready to go. Staying with stock can be a wise, economical decision.

If you want tires larger than 33's, you will want to change the gear ratio to match. Do you want lockers in your differentials or a limited slip? Cheap lunchbox lockers, or detroits , or ARB's. Stock axle shafts or bigger, stronger shafts with higher spline count?

You will save money if you only rebuild your diffs once. If you change your mind later, you have to pay for gear set-up labor all over again.

I had a 93 Wrangler and I could have built it up for less money if I had planned more efficiently.
          Last edited by banzai; 05-25-2018, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Try absolute suspension in Tomball. They're on peach or Texas I think. If he won't he knows who will

Comment

Thanks for all the info fellas,thwack if you wouldn't mind pm me the number please sir, and quack I may run over there tomorrow and give him a chat. Thanks again guys

Comment

Conner did u have dinner at julios off 2920 tonight?

Comment

Don't put money in the AMC20. Get you a Dana 44. I wish i had taken this advice when i did gears and chrome moly axles.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby Ferguson View Post
                    Don't put money in the AMC20. Get you a Dana 44. I wish i had taken this advice when i did gears and chrome moly axles.
                    Ditto especially if putting HP or big tires/lockers

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby Ferguson View Post
                      This...gears, one piece axles..new R&P plus the money to rebuild and still broke...

Can get used D44 if you dig.

Comment

The OP has not said how mild or wild the build will be. Standing by...

I have one set of dana44 4.88 gears to donate the to project for free if he wants to go that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                          Conner did u have dinner at julios off 2920 tonight?
                          Probably was me and the wife, we eat there quite often.

Comment

Not to wild will be running about 390hp at the rear wheels

Comment

Originally posted by Mconner View Post
                              Probably was me and the wife, we eat there quite often.
                              I thought that was your truck. Good food and a mean cheeseburger.

Comment

Working...
                              X