Which exotic to introduce first?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve been trying to convince an acquaintance of mine to introduce exotics to his ranch. The ranch is in south Texas and roughly 1700 acres. May not be a good idea after really taking a close look at it but just want more info on the subject. It is now all high fence due to all neighbors fencing him in. What would be best to introduce first and why? He already has a healthy whitetail herd for never feeding protein(that’s another ongoing conversation). He’s harvested some that were around 150+ but most the mature deer average close to 140. Has tons of does and it’s all he could do every year to keep the numbers in check. Trying to get more info on if he did decide to bring in a different species what would have the least impact all around. Just trying to become better informed and is for my curiosity more than anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't want any exotics that could compete with the whitetail myself in this situation...sounds like he needs to get the numbers in check with what's on his plate right now before adding any more mouths??

Comment

blackbuck =

Comment

Get rid of all the hogs would be my first order of business. Dogs, traps, more dogs, and more traps

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
          Get rid of all the hogs would be my first order of business. Dogs, traps, more dogs, and more traps

Comment

Seems like there is a current thread on here now talking about some negative effects of exotics on healthy whitetail populations. Look around and see if you can find it and what folks are saying.

Comment

Blackbucks reproduce very quick. You have to harvest a bunch every year.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post

Surprisingly not many hogs. Not to say it wouldn’t become a problem the way they reproduce. Shouldn’t take too long to accomplish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What would be the purpose of the exotics? Breeding or package hunting?

Comment

I love whitetails.
                    I would save my money and go on a package hunt once a year, if I felt the need to kill a ram, sheep or antelope.

Comment

Where is the Ranch at in south Texas?

Comment

Alexis Texas!!!!!!

Comment

I'd buy 10-20 axis males of different ages and put them out there.

Comment

Originally posted by WBT View Post
                            I'd buy 10-20 axis males of different ages and put them out there.
                            How're they supposed to reproduce if there are no females?

Comment

None...

Comment

Working...
                              X