No announcement yet.

2017 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had a truly weird experience yesterday with my onions. Wife needed a small onion for some soup so I run out to the garden and pull a small one. Gave it to the wife and she started dicing it up and noticed it had no smell. Then I checked it and it smelled like lawn grass (green plants)....not a hint of onion?????? I planted all them from small onion stalks from home depot. I will say this....this one bolted. But I have never had that problem in the past????? Anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
      Thanks so much for your input. I'm excited about fall gardening. We spend a lot of time at the ranch overwinter and it will be fun to add gardening to all the hard work of hunting , fishing and margaritas. I'm going to try all the above. Ordering the book as well. Great resource.

If you are ever across the river stop in for a tour. Love to host.
      Thanks Rusty, always happy to help.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Comment

Potato ? How do you know when it's time to dig up your taters ?

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
          Potato ? How do you know when it's time to dig up your taters ?
          I'm wondering the same thing. Everything I've read says wait until the plant dies off, but I'm not sure. My potatoe plants are getting huge and are the best looking thing in my garden.

Comment

Usually right after they produce flowers

Comment

This is my first year with taters . I got them in 5 gallon buckets .

Comment

If you didn't hill your potatoes regularly, just look at the ground under the plants. It will actually start to crack if the potatoes are getting big. Also, if they're blooming, it is sure enough time to dig 'em. When you dig 'em, don't do anything to "clean" 'em off. They'll keep a long time if you dig 'em and keep them in a cool place out of the sunlight. You put water on 'em, they won't last long. You'll have to process them in some manner and freeze 'em or can 'em. My dad had a " 'tater house" where he put out potatoes. He put down a layer of hay, then 'taters, then covered them with more hay, then more taters, more hay and so on... we'd go scratch taters out of that hay all summer/fall long...

Comment

My potatoes in bags are doing great. I actually had some pop up in the raised garden last week that I thought were done for. Got some good tomatoes and jalapeños, and my mint and cilantro on the porch are doing good. I'm still gonna plant some more stuff this week, maybe a little late, but everything did well planted this time last year!

Comment

It has been a great year for my gardens. I have been giving away my crook neck squash by the bag full and my tomato plants look like they are on steroids. All of them are loaded down with tomatoes.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Dang Johnny, yore thumb for sho is green this year! You fertilize or jus' put stuff in da ground?

Comment

Still can't figure out the picture deal. May try again this weekend. Mines doing good. We've had some cooler weather but the cold season stuff is coming on strong. Pulled my first radishes Thisbe past weekend and the spinach andlettuce is getting big. My peas aren't coming like I thought they would.
                        Transplanted some cucumbers this past weekend and will transplant my tomatos Saturday.

Comment

Travis, you guys done with freezing weather yet?

Comment

Ok so I have been wanting to get into gardening ever since I bought my house in Oct. (other priorities have been higher on the list). I have a green house that needs a lot of TLC but I think I will be able to get it going with a new roof and some new side panels to keep all the dirt in.

I am hoping by next year being able to start my own garden and finally eat some good home grown Veggies!!!! I also have persimmon trees in my backyard and was wondering if anyone knows what to do with them besides eating them raw.

Also I would like to have someone IM me if they know how to make compost. that will be another thing I am starting. just IM me and I will give you my email address to make things easier.

I will try to get pictures of what the green house looks like tonight and post them up so everyone can input the best way to repair it. We bought the house as a foreclosure and you can tell things were very neglected in the four years the prior owners lived there. I am hoping that I can get this set up and going I love to garden!

Comment

Haha. Last Saturday was Naked Gardening Day.

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                                Travis, you guys done with freezing weather yet?
                                A little here and there. Still cool at night, 40's high30's. days going into the 70's

Had snow on the ground 2 weeks ago and mowed the yard last weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X