Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Traditional

Old 08-03-2015, 11:37 AM   #1
itsgood1308
Eight Point

Hunt In: Waco, Shamrock
Default Longbow vs Recurve

My google searching has turned up a little short on this matter. Other than the obvious differences in physical appearance....what are the drawbacks/benefits of Recurves vs longbows. Where does one excell and the other fall short. I'm having a hard time deciding which direction I'd like to go first in traditional.
itsgood1308 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2015, 11:40 AM   #2
Buff
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

Every one is differant but my take is ......
I shoot a recurve better. Im not sure whether is is the grip design or just that it is heavier but If I take both to a 3-D shoot I will always shot 10 or 15 points higher with the recurve
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2015, 11:43 AM   #3
BowBuddy
Ten Point

A longbow is quieter, I don't shoot either better
BowBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2015, 11:43 AM   #4
TWP
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Angelo

Look up hybrid longbows or extreme reflex/deflex longbows. That will really get your head spinning. Ha ha ha

Recurves are usual heavier mass weight and easier for me to keep on point. That said, I'm looking very hard at a Poison Dart or Spirit longbow from RMSGear. Shot a couple a little while back, I didn't shoot as well, BUT so light in the hand, beautiful and quiet!!! Call any of the guys at RMSGear and ask them to send you a couple of bows. Recurve and longbow, they will let you try them out. Ask for Tommy, Tom or Danny, and tell them Trevor sent you.

Otherwise, get to a shoot and fling a few. Folks love showing off their bows. I know I do.
TWP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2015, 11:49 AM   #5
killerbee
Pope & Young

I shoot a static tip recurve now.....it has a phenolic riser and has good mass. It is long bow quite! I also shoot a recurve better so it works well for me.
killerbee is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2015, 12:34 PM   #6
coop
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lake Whitney

With todays designs I really don't think one will consistently out preform the other. I personally shoot my longbows and recurves about the same. With the old style longbows this was not the case.

I believe longbows may be a little tougher when it comes to mishandling than a recurve. Example: stringing and unstringing if done improperly will be more likely to twist a recurve limb than a longbow. Leaning a bow against the wall or a tree will likely damage the recurve easier than a long bow simply because of the limb thickness differences.

If both are properly taken care of I believe it will ultimately come down to which ever you like or prefer the best. I really don't think there is enough difference between them to matter.

Just my opinion,

JC
coop is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2015, 01:36 PM   #7
Dry Bones
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas, Whatever comes available

Just my two cents, but even with today's materials, if you look at the stored energy and ability of design, the recurve ( in most cases), is more efficient then the longbow when looking at draw weight to arrow performance. That being said, there are some really awesome longbows out there, and with the right arrow and set-up, hold their own in any match. I like the ability of most recurves, but not a fan of the high wrist grip, even when planed out a little. I prefer the old style grips of the 50's. The hybrids throw all that in the trash though, and it becomes about personal taste.
The best looking longbow I had was made by Steve Abbott, the best shooting was a Bear Montana.
As for recurves, a solid performing bow with some class is my bow made by Roland Jenkins, but hands down the Northwind bow out of NewYork (which also has the straight grip) shoots better for me.
So maybe my 2 cents turned into a dollar worth, but just trying to give you a little information.
Dry Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2015, 02:06 PM   #8
trad"Doc"53
Pope & Young

Hunt In: None at Present

I don't think there is a "better" bow. There will be a bow you pick up one day that will be "the bow" that you have been looking for. Though I never thought I would ever shoot a longbow, I have grown to like them as well as any recurve. I finally got what I was looking for which was a riser with recurve limbs as well as longbow limbs for it. Now I have the exact same grip on either set up which allows me to shoot either one as well as the other. In fact, I may be leaning more towards the longbow limbs now rather than the recurve. I feel that the longbow limbs perform just as well if not a bit better than the recurve ones. It always seems to go back to personal preference.
trad"Doc"53 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2015, 02:45 PM   #9
LAW
Eight Point

Hunt In: Salado,Junction

I have both shoot one just as bad as the other, that said go to Bob Sarrels and he will have about 30 for you to try out. Or contact me I have a recurve for sale.
LAW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2015, 02:45 PM   #10
Bisch
Pope & Young

I have both, but prefer the lonhbow for 2 main reasons:

1. Longbows go "thud", recurves go "twang". I'm not going to get in the arguement trying to say either one is louder, but they are different sounds, and I like the sound of a lonhbow better!

2. You really should use a steinger with a recurve, and you don't need to with a lonhbow. I hate stringers, so he lonhbow is better for me!

It is really all personal preference; what fits you and your style best!

Bisch
Bisch is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2015, 03:32 PM   #11
strigif0rm3s
Eight Point

Hunt In: Earth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trad"Doc"53 View Post
I don't think there is a "better" bow. There will be a bow you pick up one day that will be "the bow" that you have been looking for.
+1 I call that my "Soul Bow"
For me it was 2 bows, one in each category (longbow and recurve) made to feel the same and shoot the same arrows.
Dan Toelke (montanabows.com) made me a Whip longbow and a Chinook recurve.
I love them bow and they are both my "SOUL BOWS"!
strigif0rm3s is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2015, 11:15 AM   #12
ghostgoblin22
Ten Point

Hunt In: east texas

longbow's are quieter naturally, but tend to be a tad slower than most popular recurves.....but not by much, and i have recurves just as quiet as longbows', the grips are different, i prefer a recurve grip, but to be honest its all personal preference just like everyone has said already
ghostgoblin22 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2015, 02:29 PM   #13
TxNurse
Ten Point

Hunt In: Southern Nolan County

One other consideration is whether you shoot out of a blind. It is easier to find a blind where you can use a recurve.
TxNurse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2015, 05:30 PM   #14
El Paisano
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas-Arkansas

I like the sound of the longbow and the ease of getting through the brush.
On the other hand, I have a custom grip on my Bob Lee TD recurve that is perfect and I do seem to shoot a little tighter with it.
El Paisano is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2015, 10:59 PM   #15
spidermonkey
Eight Point

Hunt In: northeast and central texas

I kinda feel weird sayin this, but I like a longbow better for the same reasons Bisch said... Every recurve I've shot it's like I can can feel the oscillation of the limbs on release, whereas with the longbow, I feel just one singular thump at release. Not a game changer reason to like one over the other, just my preference, like has already been said. Haven't shot a recurve enough to know if I can be a better shot with one, kinda just fine/content with my longbows. Don't have a hankerin to change since I'm happy where I'm at. God Bless, Rusty
spidermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2015, 08:14 AM   #16
caughtandhobble
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Lot of good stuff here, it all boils down to what you like.

I started with a longbow so the longbow has a special place in my heart. I do shoot my Journeyman recurve better than anything I've ever shot, but I just love longbows.

I see you're from the Temple area, there is one of the best shots around in your neck of the woods. Try to make some 3D shoots and try some different bows out. Just remember when someone allows you to shoot their bow respect them and their bow.

Good luck and enjoy the ride.
caughtandhobble is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2015, 11:22 AM   #17
Umich1
Four Point

I'd start with Recurve. I shoot both, but started my venture with a recurve. They tend to be a bit easier to shoot when converting.
Umich1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2015, 11:23 AM   #18
Umich1
Four Point

Or you could just start with a Hill bow. If you master that, then you will be quite proficient with any of them.
Umich1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2015, 12:37 PM   #19
LostHawg
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green, Texas and Polk, Arkansas

I'd recommend you go with a recurve. Longbow shooting is more about the bow than the benefits. Recurves are a dime a dozen and there are plenty of folks around that shoot them. So, resources and sound advice are more readily available.

Not taking away in the least from the longbow, just that those of us who choose them over the recurve are willing to adapt to their quirks.
LostHawg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2015, 12:00 AM   #20
muddydog
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tom Green Co.

I shoot recurves better but actually prefer the ol school hill style longbows. For me its all about the challenge. I actually shoot a compound much better than trad. Bows. Longbow are harder to shoot than recurves for most people but they do have benefits. They are very quite shooting and are a lot lighter to carry, some will have some handshock. I think longbow are a little more dependable, less chance of limb twist, but you better be careful slamming truck door or ceiling fans in the house. It is also a problem finding a inexpensive pop upup blind for a 68" bow.
muddydog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2015, 10:49 AM   #21
Straitshot
Four Point

When you ask such a question on a public forum you will get a plethora of answers because we all have opinions and that's ok. You can read through them all but when it comes down to it only you can decide which one you prefer, so shoot them both for awhile and decide which you prefer or get one of each. Same goes with which bowyer or manufacturer you choose.
Straitshot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2015, 11:21 AM   #22
4dog
Ten Point

Hunt In: burleson county,,and any other place im welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostHawg View Post
I'd recommend you go with a recurve. Longbow shooting is more about the bow than the benefits. Recurves are a dime a dozen and there are plenty of folks around that shoot them. So, resources and sound advice are more readily available.

Not taking away in the least from the longbow, just that those of us who choose them over the recurve are willing to adapt to their quirks.
Amen...you said alot right there bud !
4dog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2015, 11:23 AM   #23
4dog
Ten Point

Hunt In: burleson county,,and any other place im welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddydog View Post
I shoot recurves better but actually prefer the ol school hill style longbows. For me its all about the challenge. I actually shoot a compound much better than trad. Bows. Longbow are harder to shoot than recurves for most people but they do have benefits. They are very quite shooting and are a lot lighter to carry, some will have some handshock. I think longbow are a little more dependable, less chance of limb twist, but you better be careful slamming truck door or ceiling fans in the house. It is also a problem finding a inexpensive pop upup blind for a 68" bow.
And thats why i build my own selfbows and make them @ 60"...fits alot of places.
4dog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2015, 12:24 PM   #24
Bowyer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas & Oklahoma

I love shooting the longbow when I'm not shooting the recurve and vice versa.
Bowyer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2015, 11:31 PM   #25
LostHawg
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green, Texas and Polk, Arkansas
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowyer View Post
I love shooting the longbow when I'm not shooting the recurve and vice versa.
This!
LostHawg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2015, 08:26 PM   #26
Fuzzy Dog
Six Point

Hunt In: Wherever they'll let me

FWIW I started on a recurve. I now shoot both. I'd recommend starting with a recurve for two reasons. One, I think they are easier to learn to shoot proficiently. Two, if you start with something like a Samich Sage, you can get a really decent recurve for not a lot of money. Once you get proficient withe recurve you can get a good longbow see how you like it. They're fun, they're light and I like shooting them, but I wouldn't start with one.
Fuzzy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2015, 08:15 AM   #27
boomer453
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sabine Parish

The grip is the difference for me, most recurves are available with a grip that will feel more familiar to a compound shooter while a traditional longbow has a dished grip and possibly nothing more than a type of locator grip. I think a hybrid is the best compromise going i.e a treestick from acadian woods.
Having said that i have an old style sarrels blue ridge i picked up this spring which i'm really starting to like.
boomer453 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top