No announcement yet.

Yeti vs Engel vs Coleman Extreme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can buy alot of ice for the price difference!!! My coleman extreme holds ice plenty long enough for me. Not to mention look at the weight difference!!! A full ice chest is heavy enough without adding 20lbs! IMO a 20lb heavier ice chest that cost 3 times as much and only saves you a few more hours of ice retention is a complete ripp off!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Berandel View Post
      Perhaps you did not read the first sentence that the tests were done by the magazine, "Practical Sailor".
      Interesting comparison. Probably legit too but you never know if this unheard of by most cooler company named Engel paid for the article.

Comment

My beer dosen't last long enough to make a difference...IGLOO will do.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by el patron View Post
            my beer dosen't last long enough to make a difference...igloo will do.
            lol:d

Comment

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
              I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess the majority of the folks claiming the test was crap are likely the folks who have already spent a rediculous amount of money on a cooler made by yeti !

Come'on, you know a test is only fair and impartial if it supports what you already believed to be true!
              I do not own a high dollar cooler and do not plan on it anytime soon.

The test is just plain BS.

Put 3-4 cases of beverages inside and then fill the rest up with equal amounts of ice. I do not put a 6 pack in a big cooler and a bag and a half of ice and expect it to keep for very long.

It is the same principal as a refrigerator. If you take everything out of a fridge and expect it to use less energy to keep cold than a fridge that is full of stuff.

I am not telling everyone to go buy a yeti or whatever, just saying the test is bogus.

Personally I believe the biggest difference in price is not how much better they are at keeping ice but in the quality difference in construction. Handles, hinges, lasps, drain plugs, material, etc.

Comment

Been hunting Mexico for 6 years. Ice is a big problem. No electricity on this ranch. always stay at least a week. Ten hunters and I have seen all kinnds except Engel. Best I have seen is a 120 qt Rubbermaid. I know I thought they were no good but this cooler is the best by far. Those guys with Yetti coolers bought em. Gander sells em for 99.00.

Comment

The main thing I don't have to worry about with my Yeti is it falling apart. They're built like a bomb shelter. The ice retention on the Yeti is incredible. But it should be for as heavy as they're built. About to buy a Roadie model Yeti to keep in my truck full time.
                  Oh, and the customer service from the Seider brothers is top notch. These are also the guys that started Waterloo Rods and The Launcher popping corks.

Comment

Originally posted by ty729 View Post
                    I do not own a high dollar cooler and do not plan on it anytime soon.

The test is just plain BS.

Put 3-4 cases of beverages inside and then fill the rest up with equal amounts of ice. I do not put a 6 pack in a big cooler and a bag and a half of ice and expect it to keep for very long.

It is the same principal as a refrigerator. If you take everything out of a fridge and expect it to use less energy to keep cold than a fridge that is full of stuff.

I am not telling everyone to go buy a yeti or whatever, just saying the test is bogus.

Personally I believe the biggest difference in price is not how much better they are at keeping ice but in the quality difference in construction. Handles, hinges, lasps, drain plugs, material, etc.
                    Based on your refrigerator theory, the coleman cooler would see the greatest increase in efficiency since it was the largest of the three coolers.....

But seriousily, when they do the SAME thing in ALL 3 coolers, the test is not BS. What would make anyone think the results would be different if they packed all 3 coolers to the gills with ice? I would expect one cooler that outperformed another with 16lbs of ice to STILL outperform the other of I started with more ice....I mean why wouldn't it?

And I agree, the biggest difference is probably hindges, drain plugs, etc.

......not in how well they keep things cold!

Comment

Originally posted by El Arquero Rey View Post
                      Been hunting Mexico for 6 years. Ice is a big problem. No electricity on this ranch. always stay at least a week. Ten hunters and I have seen all kinnds except Engel. Best I have seen is a 120 qt Rubbermaid. I know I thought they were no good but this cooler is the best by far. Those guys with Yetti coolers bought em. Gander sells em for 99.00.
                      We hunt in Mexico and have the same issues. No electricity except for a generator so no plug-in fridge or freezer.

We have an old standup refridgerator that does not work. Layed it down on its back so it works like a chest cooler. We bring about 50 lbs of dry ice and line the bottom of the fridge and put all of our bags of ice on top.

It gets cold enough inside to freeze capes that will pass inspection crossing back into Texas.

Comment

Thanks for sharing, maybe I should just but 3 Coleman's or use the money I save on purchase for lots of ice, great info !!!

Comment

Great info! I have a freind that has a Yeti, it is an awesome cooler, I have never seen a cooler hold ice as long as it does. I doubt that I would ever spend that much money on a cooler, but I would definately buy a Coleman Extreme based on this!!

Comment

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
                            Based on your refrigerator theory, the coleman cooler would see the greatest increase in efficiency since it was the largest of the three coolers.....

But seriousily, when they do the SAME thing in ALL 3 coolers, the test is not BS. What would make anyone think the results would be different if they packed all 3 coolers to the gills with ice? I would expect one cooler that outperformed another with 16lbs of ice to STILL outperform the other of I started with more ice....I mean why wouldn't it?

And I agree, the biggest difference is probably hindges, drain plugs, etc.

......not in how well they keep things cold!
                            Yeti addresses this one their web-site. in a since. Since the Yeti cooler is so thick it takes longer to cool them however once the coolers itself gets cold it stays cold. I got two for Christmas and have been very pleased. I haven't had any experience with the 2 others mentioned in article. When compared to all the other coolers I have owned the Yeti is by far the best. not only does it keep things cold but they are virtually unbreakable.

Comment

Engel, Yeti, Coleman

i found another independent test on youtube by SportsmanGuys comparing a bunch of different coolers and the Engel also came out to be the best cooler.

I actually have had some experience with the Yeti, Coleman and the Engel and the main differnce is how much insulation they each use and where they place the insulation in the cooler. The Engel places a thick 2" layer on all sides(provides- great insulation all around the cooler). The Yeti places hardly any insulation (a lot less than 2" on the bottom of the cooler and a lot of insulation on the top). This makes no sense since all your ice goes on the bottom of the cooler and all your cold gets lost from the bottom. The Coleman in my experince held the ice about the same as the Yeti. So in my experince when I upgraded my cooler to a Yeti I really felt like i was cheated since my ice lasted as long as a Coleman but i spent a ton of more money. I finally had to throw out the Yeti since I had to keep replacing the latches and the lid broke off after a very short time. My wife also hated the Yeti since she could never open and close it since you have to pull on the rubber latches so hard to open and close it. All the stress goes on the latches and they break right off.

Since I bought the Engel the ice lasts a long long long time - in fact most times I come back home with as much ice as when I started and my wife doesnt complain about opening an closing it since the latches are great and the lid is extra sturdy. To top it all off it has really shown itself to be a better cooler then either the Yeti or the Coleman and it was about 20% less in price than the Yeti. My recommendation is the Engel - you cannot go wrong!

Comment

hunter1, I see this is your first post. Wellcome to the site. Tell us a little about yourself so we can get to know you. Where do you live, what do you do, etc.?

Comment

Working...
                                X