Best ammo for deer hunting with my 30-06

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best ammo for deer hunting with my 30-06

I have been using Barnes 180 gr and it comes up in many searches as the best but I use hornady SST in my 308 150 gr and like it as well. What ammo and grain does everyone use I’m hunting east Texas. Tyler and Polk counties?

I use 162 grain ELD-X in my 7mm. Works really well so far.

Comment

I guess it depends on your ranges, I shoot everything under 250 yards and I prefer a flat-based ammo. I use 180gr Powermax and I’d not hesitate to shoot anything that walks on this planet with it. Winchester got that stuff right. In every caliber I’ve tried, the kills have been phenomenal. Even the 30-30 150gr is crazy good. Whenever someone sees a 30-30 powermax kill on the rack, the first question is “what the heck did you shoot that with?”.

Another thing with Powermax, when you hit something with it, you know it right there.

Luckily with your caliber, the cheapest ammunition on the shelf is better than many caliber’s best.
      Last edited by Johnny44; 03-21-2018, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Hornady eld-x is a great projectile I shot a ram at 480 yds last year they fly like a target round

Comment

My '06 likes Federal Premium 165gr GameKings. Been shooting the same round for 30 years out of that gun. It does very well.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoghunter101 View Post
            I have been using Barnes 180 gr and it comes up in many searches as the best but I use hornady SST in my 308 150 gr and like it as well. What ammo and grain does everyone use I’m hunting east Texas. Tyler and Polk counties?
            most work, but i have never seen a texas deer that needed a 180 30 cal bullet yet,,,, i killed 40+ with my 06 with a 150 gr nosler ballistic tip hand load at 3050 fps, 100 percent pass through's from 25 yards to 400 yards,, 2 of them took a step, all others dropped in their tracks,,,, the 2 that took a step were not double lunged .... ultimately what ever your happy with that your gun likes will get it done

Comment

Any well placed soft point in a .30-06 will work. I shot cheap 150 gr core-lokts for years. When I started elk hunting I went with the Barnes TTSX in 150 grain and haven't switched back to cheaper stuff because my particular rifle shoots the Barnes better.

Comment

Another vote for the 150 grain ballistic tip

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
                  My '06 likes Federal Premium 165gr GameKings. Been shooting the same round for 30 years out of that gun. It does very well.
                  I’ve been shooting the same round out of my 30-06 since I bought it in the mid-90’s. Has worked great for 20 years, no reason to change.

Comment

I have had great results with the Federal Trophy Bonded Tip in 165.gr
                    Used to shoot the trophy bonded bear claws but this is the updated version.
                    Sportsman's Guide carries top-quality discount Outdoor and Hunting Gear, Guns, Ammo, Fishing Supplies and more - all at great low prices!

Comment

For deer I just use 150gr Corelokt. My gun shoots them well. Also really like the Powermax stuff. Wish they still made the PowerMax bonded 100gr in 243

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The world is your oyster!!! With a 30-06 start with some 150 grain el cheapo " they will kill a deer" and start fine tuning to find out what the gun loves , sight in with 150 and trying 165 then 180 then different types and brands it never really ends
                        Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 03-21-2018, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Shoot whatever pill your gun likes. 30 caliber pill on a whitetail you just gotta put it in boiler room

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
                            For deer I just use 150gr Corelokt. My gun shoots them well. Also really like the Powermax stuff. Wish they still made the PowerMax bonded 100gr in 243

the core lokt is what I shoot out of mine. Have been for a long while. Does the job.

Comment

That powermax in the 243 is the shiz-nit. Too much of a good thang and they seem to take it off the shelf.

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
                              Wish they still made the PowerMax bonded 100gr in 243

Comment

Working...
                              X