No announcement yet.

How hard do you like it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think TBoT has a good handle on what folks like to see at a 3D shoot.
    Mostly between 10 to 25 yards with a few shorter, and a few closer to 30 yards, with a couple of long 40 - 50 yard shots thrown in.

IBO also seems to have a good handle on what folks like to see, and has reduced it's maximum range for a shot from 40 to 30 yards.

I'm with Bisch's analysis on how to best please the masses, and how things should be for a high level championship flagged competition.

I just like to get to shoot, and consider myself (especially now days) fortunate to get to do so.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post

What would most Trad guy consider a fun set up for 30 targets ?
      I would guess something like
      10 small targets at around 12 to 15 yards, 15 Deer hog size targets 18 to twenty and 5 bigger target 25 to 30.

Pretty much this^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Doah

Originally posted by DRT View Post
        What were the toughest shots one the course like?

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
        Sounded to me a football turkey at 32steps wins that award,

Comment

I think swamprabbit makes a good point. To me it is not as much the distances that make a good 3d course, it is interesting/challenging shots that replicate hunting scenarios. (unlike ASA 3d targets which are often set in open lanes). I think it is more fun and better practice to have a hog target down in a hole, shots requiring you to shoot a deer target through a narrow gap between trees, a log covering part of the 8 ring, having to shoot up/down a severe incline, etc.

Comment

Seems to me that the main purpose of 3D tournaments should be to provide a fun atmosphere for off-season practice that more-or-less simulates hunting situations. The competitive aspect creates a little bit of pressure to make good shots as you want to actually do in hunting. The scoring aspect should reflect how close you come to hitting the spots you aim for -- and those "kill zones" may not be exactly true to real animals, but you can still test your ability to hit where you're looking.

As far as the distance goes, plenty of challenge can be built in to shots between 12 and 25 yards using various trees or obstructions, and the competitive separation can come from risk versus reward shots that put the center of the kill zone close to the obstruction. The Cowtown club did a great job at their Winter Traditional/TBoT shoot this weekend of mixing up the shots within reasonable distances, plus added some fun targets like the flying pig, long-range buffalo and Iron Armadillo, along with a close-up low-hung treestand shot that seemed like it should be a gimme 12, but forces you to focus and stay down. All of this keeps it fun, and feeling like you have a decent chance to score is fun too. Sure, top guys will shoot top scores, but it's nice for the non-world champions to be able to hit a few 10s and 12s at realistic hunting ranges.
            Last edited by tradtiger; 02-26-2018, 12:22 PM.

Comment

I like both the practice for hunting aspect, and the competition aspect of 3D shoots.

If it isn't going to be billed as a competition, then why have awards, or even score keeping for that matter?

I'm good either way. I've been to shooting rendezvous of several types where we just showed up & shot for the fun of it. They're fun too.

Rick

Comment

Sometimes you can set up a course to be harder than you actually planned to.

I was in charge of setting up the trad stakes, which were also the women's compound stakes, at our local club shoots years ago.

It took a bit but I learned a few things. Just because you are shooting well above average not everyone is so cut them some slack.

Women are usually shorter than the average man. I set up some targets that they could not see.

Also not everyone is right handed.

Comment

The wife and I have been to our share of shoots over the last 30 years.
                  the answer to your question is simple. look at the shoots that are still shooting with good numbers of shooters after 4 years.
                  for 30 targets, an average of 17 to 19 yards is really good.
                  most trad folks want to go shoot, hit the target, have fun, NOT BREAK OR LOOSE ARROWS
                  and enjoy the day with friends..some hard targets are great. some simple are great too,
                  the mix of golf course and deep woods...
                  just my 2 cents

Comment

Originally posted by JEFFRO View Post
                    The wife and I have been to our share of shoots over the last 30 years.
                    the answer to your question is simple. look at the shoots that are still shooting with good numbers of shooters after 4 years.
                    for 30 targets, an average of 17 to 19 yards is really good.
                    most trad folks want to go shoot, hit the target, have fun, NOT BREAK OR LOOSE ARROWS
                    and enjoy the day with friends..some hard targets are great. some simple are great too,
                    the mix of golf course and deep woods...
                    just my 2 cents
                    You are wise beyond your youth.

Rick

Comment

Denton Hill Pa. is set like that. No competition so it's fun. I think they are cheap and don't want to wear out the targets. lol Arvin

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
                        I like both the practice for hunting aspect, and the competition aspect of 3D shoots.

If it isn't going to be billed as a competition, then why have awards, or even score keeping for that matter?

I'm good either way. I've been to shooting rendezvous of several types where we just showed up & shot for the fun of it. They're fun too.

Rick
                        Not saying anything against the competition aspect at all. Feel fully capable of competing; and fun to try and compete against these top shots. Happy to shoot a personal best Saturday and another Sunday with equipment I've been using less than a week and six months, respectively. Nowhere near the overall top, but they should be worried.

Comment

I enjoyed it and they don't need to be worried. [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
                            Not saying anything against the competition aspect at all. Feel fully capable of competing; and fun to try and compete against these top shots. Happy to shoot a personal best Saturday and another Sunday with equipment I've been using less than a week and six months, respectively. Nowhere near the overall top, but they should be worried.
                            I didn't think you were Ellis.

I was just thinking, and typing out loud about what I like it about it, which is pretty much all of it.

Rick

Comment

My buddy Butch says:
                              on a 30 target course
                              5 targets under 15 yards
                              20 targets 15-25 yards
                              5 targets 25 yards on up
                              seems like a good rule of thumb

Comment

Sounds reasonable but if I got there and they were all 20 to 40 I'd still give it a go!

Comment

Working...
                                X