Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

24 acre ranch build - raw land to paradise!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like your style. As for the Yaupon, have you given any thought to putting a few goats on it once you get the fencing taken care of? Sure would save you a lot of time on the saw - then you can eat the goats once they are done.

Comment

subscribed...living the deam

Comment

Originally posted by bobc View Post
        I like your style. As for the Yaupon, have you given any thought to putting a few goats on it once you get the fencing taken care of? Sure would save you a lot of time on the saw - then you can eat the goats once they are done.
        I have thought about it, and here's my predicament. If I do goats, I need goat fencing, or else the little rascals will just escape and be coyote/bobcat/people food. If I install goat fencing, it will cost a fortune, and it will make it more difficult for hogs to enter the property, and hogs will be comprising the majority of my hunting kills on the property when deer are out of season.

It is for this reason that I believe putting a few head of cattle on the property once I finish the fencing will be the better idea. My neighbor says the land can support about 1 head of cattle per 1-2 acres, so I'm considering putting one bull and three cows on the property. That way I can have calfs be produced, periodically sell off excess cattle for money to put back into the ranch, and also have occasional treats for my family and friends like a whole side of beef to use for parties.

Thoughts?

Comment

find ya a 9n tractor...and a brush hog....this will save lots of work....If you have been to a Bownanza, then you would know most ALL of the TBHers know how to handle a beer or 3......if you haven't been...well why the heck not! Been working my place for 4 years...getting close to a build...

Comment

Originally posted by Sneaky View Post
            I have thought about it, and here's my predicament. If I do goats, I need goat fencing, or else the little rascals will just escape and be coyote/bobcat/people food. If I install goat fencing, it will cost a fortune, and it will make it more difficult for hogs to enter the property, and hogs will be comprising the majority of my hunting kills on the property when deer are out of season.

It is for this reason that I believe putting a few head of cattle on the property once I finish the fencing will be the better idea. My neighbor says the land can support about 1 head of cattle per 1-2 acres, so I'm considering putting one bull and three cows on the property. That way I can have calfs be produced, periodically sell off excess cattle for money to put back into the ranch, and also have occasional treats for my family and friends like a whole side of beef to use for parties.

Thoughts?
            You make a good point in regards to fencing. That being said, cows are not "browse" animals and most likely will not touch the Yaupon.

Comment

Originally posted by bwssr View Post
              find ya a 9n tractor...and a brush hog....this will save lots of work....If you have been to a Bownanza, then you would know most ALL of the TBHers know how to handle a beer or 3......if you haven't been...well why the heck not! Been working my place for 4 years...getting close to a build...
              1. Thank you so much for enlightening me as to the existence of a tractor that doesn't cost a fortune!! However, my soil is very sandy, and a 2WD truck can easily get stuck. Do you think a tractor like this can do it's job in such soil, or would I need a 4WD tractor?

2. I have solid faith that my TBH brethren bring multiple centuries of collective beer drinking experience to the table!

3. I have not been yet (I joined the GS at the beginning of the year), but it sounds like a blast! When it the next one?

Comment

Originally posted by bobc View Post
                You make a good point in regards to fencing. That being said, cows are not "browse" animals and most likely will not touch the Yaupon.
                Yeah, I don't expect the cows to touch the yaupon - those I will need to remove myself. They should serve well to mow down the native grasses though, and generally help keep the pastures/senderos looking tidy.

Comment

My place is sandy..I do have 4x4, but a loader on front...you would be ok, I believe....craigslist has tractors..search tractors in the area you want to look, then put a price range in...several small 4x4, 17 to 18 hp w/ 4x4 can be found..something cheap, you can use till you're ready to step up...I had a 18hp w/ 4' shredder..worked GREAT!

Comment

My place is sandy..I do have 4x4, but a loader on front...you would be ok, I believe....craigslist has tractors..search tractors in the area you want to look, then put a price range in...several small 4x4, 17 to 18 hp w/ 4x4 can be found..something cheap, you can use till you're ready to step up...I had a 18hp w/ 4' shredder..worked GREAT!
                    Thank you so much for this info! I had resigned myself to the thought that I'll never own a tractor until I'm ready for another car note, but this gives me hope! I'll be on the lookout for a nice 9n around spring time!

Comment

We use to have a 72 acre family estate farm in Milam Co. Was just a small amount from the 600+ acres in the original Graham estate. I hunted that property for 30+ years. I remember squirrel hunting it with a pellet gun at 6. I will not go into detail about how we lost out 23 acre inheritance we were to receive, but will say that I will never trust anyone not even family again. Sorry for the rant but was going to say, when my siblings and I (the 4 of us) lost the place we were just starting to get a few good deer on camera. My old friend on here RedArrow, killed his first deer with a bow on that place, if I remember correctly. We were right off hwy 36 on the right about 11 miles north of Caldwell. Good luck with your place and I will be following. Love that area.

Comment

Missed the post on the tractor. I use to farm our place with a two wheel drive MF 235. That sand will grow some awesome watermelons, cantaloupe and every kinda pea you plant. And Deer love it all. A old 9n will serve you well.

Comment

Originally posted by Sneaky View Post
                          1. Thank you so much for enlightening me as to the existence of a tractor that doesn't cost a fortune!! However, my soil is very sandy, and a 2WD truck can easily get stuck. Do you think a tractor like this can do it's job in such soil, or would I need a 4WD tractor?

2. I have solid faith that my TBH brethren bring multiple centuries of collective beer drinking experience to the table!

3. I have not been yet (I joined the GS at the beginning of the year), but it sounds like a blast! When it the next one?
                          March 9th, 2014, Bryan, Texas

Comment

congrats! good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Firecuss View Post
                              We use to have a 72 acre family estate farm in Milam Co. Was just a small amount from the 600+ acres in the original Graham estate. I hunted that property for 30+ years. I remember squirrel hunting it with a pellet gun at 6. I will not go into detail about how we lost out 23 acre inheritance we were to receive, but will say that I will never trust anyone not even family again. Sorry for the rant but was going to say, when my siblings and I (the 4 of us) lost the place we were just starting to get a few good deer on camera. My old friend on here RedArrow, killed his first deer with a bow on that place, if I remember correctly. We were right off hwy 36 on the right about 11 miles north of Caldwell. Good luck with your place and I will be following. Love that area.

Originally posted by Firecuss View Post
                              Missed the post on the tractor. I use to farm our place with a two wheel drive MF 235. That sand will grow some awesome watermelons, cantaloupe and every kinda pea you plant. And Deer love it all. A old 9n will serve you well.
                              Thanks for all the info!
                              March 9th, 2014, Bryan, Texas
                              I'll be there!

Comment

Dreams do come true..

I have a little over 28 acres pretty close to Bruce on Madisonville.

I started a thread the day I got our property.

Many on here have experience and will be glad to give you advice.

But remember it is your dream!

Awesome!

Comment

Working...
                                X