458 socom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
    I have the same barrel and the same problem with what to screw on the end of the barrel. Like you probably found also, there are not many options for the 5/8"-32 thread used on that muzzle. I looked up 5/8"-32 tap and found a couple of them. I am going to order one and experiment with making some different design muzzle breaks and then make a cap for the threads. I have wanted to experiment with different muzzle break designs, now I finally have a good candidate to experiment with.

I am going to try some 300 gr. 350 gr. then some 400 gr. and 405 gr. bullets. I am curious how well it will do with the heavier bullets. The 405 gr. bullets are hard lead alloy bullets. I have not shot any lead bullets in many years. But the lead alloy bullets will keep the pressures down and possibly allow a little higher velocities. I am looking forward to shooting this gun, I have not had a big bore gun in many years, nothing like this thing before.
    I ordered the panzer style brake from radical arms it was 80$ shipped. I’m interested to see what you come up with for yours. I plan on playing with a few different bullets in mine as well, the FTX are pretty pricey but look very promising. I recovered a slug out of my dirt mound and it was a very good mushroom that measured 1.15” in diameter and weighed 275 grains.

Comment

Pigs don’t like the 458 Socom. I’ve shot them with the 300 grain Barnes TTSX and 500 grain subsonics.

Mine is a SBR with a muffler on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
        I ordered the panzer style brake from radical arms it was 80$ shipped. I’m interested to see what you come up with for yours. I plan on playing with a few different bullets in mine as well, the FTX are pretty pricey but look very promising. I recovered a slug out of my dirt mound and it was a very good mushroom that measured 1.15” in diameter and weighed 275 grains.
        I have seen those breaks, I have found maybe four or five different breaks for that thread pitch. I talked to a buddy, he asked why I did not just make my own. I had thought about it, but figured that finding a tap would be impossible, then I can not cut threads with my lathe, so I would have to have a tap. I found a tap, after my buddy brought the subject up. When I get the time I am going to see what I can come up with. I need to order a couple more parts and it will be done. I have brass ordered. I need to get some dies, bullets, then some powder. I think the only powder I have that there may be loads for, is H110. I thought I was going to buy a box or two of about three different factory loads. Have fun shooting those, get and idea of what different bullets can do, then use the brass to load some ammo. But then I saw the price of the ammo and that they are only 20 round boxes, I assumed they were 50 round boxes.

Interesting info on the bullet expansion, sounds like it will do a lot of damage.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
          Pigs don’t like the 458 Socom. I’ve shot them with the 300 grain Barnes TTSX and 500 grain subsonics.

Mine is a SBR with a muffler on it.

What suppressor are you running? What caliber can is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by savin yours View Post
            What suppressor are you running? What caliber can is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crux ARK45.

I run the same can on my 450 Marlin and my 460 Rowland Glock 21 long slide.

The can is rated up to a 416 Cheytac.

Comment

My current issue is I can’t seem to get it to feed reliable with more than 3 rounds in the mag. I’ve tried 2 different plastic pmags and 1 metal pmag with the best result using my 6.5grendel magazine.

Comment

My current issue is I can’t seem to get it to feed reliable with more than 3 rounds in the mag. I’ve tried 2 different plastic pmags and 1 metal pmag with the best result using my 6.5grendel magazine.

Get you some lancer A5 mags. That is the recommended mag for the Socom round.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                  Get you some lancer A5 mags. That is the recommended mag for the Socom round.

That’s the plan. Just need to order a few. If that doesn’t work I think I’ll need a heavier buffer/spring.

Comment

That’s the plan. Just need to order a few. If that doesn’t work I think I’ll need a heavier buffer/spring.

Go ahead and spend the $$ and get one of Clint’s buffers from heavy buffers.com.

Mine runs flawlessly.

Comment

I already did that. I bought a JP Enterprises heavy duty buffer kit, with the assorted springs for another gun. Wound up using one of the lighter springs. I knew I should get either a adjustable gas block or another JP Enterprises buffer and experiment with the springs. The only gas block I found with a .936" bore, was something like $280. I decided getting another JP Enterprises buffer and start off with one of the heavier springs was the way to go. So that's how I have the gun set up now. I need to get a trigger for it and see how it shoots. I want to try a CMC trigger, I have tried a few at guns shows, they seem pretty good and not bad pricing. From what I have read so far, a stronger buffer springs seems to be a must for the 458 SOCOM. I have read that because of the stronger buffer spring required, it is not recommended to drop the bolt, with only one round in the mag. That with the lower resistance with on one round in the mag, it might slam fire, because of the stronger buffer spring. So I am thinking, I am probably also going to look for some titanium firing pins. They are supposed to help prevent slam fires. I have been wanting some for a couple of other rifles, so I may just buy three or four of them. A buddy of mine found some very cheap a while back, I should have bought some.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                        I already did that. I bought a JP Enterprises heavy duty buffer kit, with the assorted springs for another gun. Wound up using one of the lighter springs. I knew I should get either a adjustable gas block or another JP Enterprises buffer and experiment with the springs. The only gas block I found with a .936" bore, was something like $280. I decided getting another JP Enterprises buffer and start off with one of the heavier springs was the way to go. So that's how I have the gun set up now. I need to get a trigger for it and see how it shoots. I want to try a CMC trigger, I have tried a few at guns shows, they seem pretty good and not bad pricing. From what I have read so far, a stronger buffer springs seems to be a must for the 458 SOCOM. I have read that because of the stronger buffer spring required, it is not recommended to drop the bolt, with only one round in the mag. That with the lower resistance with on one round in the mag, it might slam fire, because of the stronger buffer spring. So I am thinking, I am probably also going to look for some titanium firing pins. They are supposed to help prevent slam fires. I have been wanting some for a couple of other rifles, so I may just buy three or four of them. A buddy of mine found some very cheap a while back, I should have bought some.
                        I run cmc triggers in almost all my ars for the money I don’t think there is a better trigger out there. I plan on upgrading my buffer and spring later on. As far as the slam fires go I have never heard of that, but it’s definitely something I’ll look into. In the short furture I’m hoping to get a nice can to run on mine either the silencer co hybrid of crux.

Comment

Working...
                        X