1 pc Bows and Travel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1 pc Bows and Travel

Alright. Lets get this out of the way up front. I don't want to hear, "buy a new bow" as an answer to my question (I know, no fun ). Some guys really like their one and only bow so much they don't want another bow after all!

What I do want to hear is how you creative cats have worked around travel (especially airline travel) with a one piece bow. I'm sure there are some good pieces of advice to be had.

-anyone shipped their bow ahead of time?

-anyone put it in PVC and checked it as luggage?

-built a selfbow upon arrival?

And at the end of the day, if we can't come up with some good ideas, and it really does boil down to "buy a new bow" I guess I'll just have to accept it.

Some airline restrictions on length. Not sure what it is.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

I personally would drive if possible.

Comment

Not sure if this will help but I bought a long bow on here and it was shipped in a cardboard tube padded with foam and a towel. So it can be done in a pvc pipe for sure...

Comment

On my trip to Africa I used a 3-Rivers longbow travel case for my one piece longbow. I strapped 2 Arrow travel cases to the longbow case to make one piece of baggage. Not sure if that would be permissible under today's airline baggage restrictions.

Comment

Believe you are okay with just a longbow case/tube. Most airlines I have looked at (major) have categories for special recreational items. They may have additional cost (like kayaks, etc) but archery seems to be at your standard baggage rate. United for instance (if I remember right) considered 1 bow case, 1 Arrow case, and 1 tackle box as a single item.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

I made a bow case out of 6" PVC. I carried 3 bows in there that were all 62", I believe. The airline did not charge me anything extra. That was in 2008 though. In 2009 I got my first Blueridge takedown, and have not looked back since.

Comment

I used a Plano fishing rod holder (expandable in length). It held arrows too.
                I have taped a shorter pvc tube to it carrying arrows also and it "qualified" as one piece of luggage. The Southwest Airlines lady looked it over, smiled and put a single tag on it. I know she was thinking "redneck luggage".

Piggy backing the arrow tubes to the fishing rod holder could be a stretch now. It looked like a bazooka or rocket launcher.

Comment

I admit take downs may be travel convenient. But to me they aren't nearly as aesthetically pleasing as one piece.

Comment

1 pc Bows and Travel

Originally posted by Lost Arra View Post
                    Piggy backing the arrow tubes to the fishing rod holder could be a stretch now. It looked like a bazooka or rocket launcher.

I thought my PVC bow case looked so much like a giant pipe bomb, I covered it from one end to the other with archery related stickers!!!

Bisch

Comment

I've stuffed a PVC tube in a ski bag several times and never had an issues when checking it in. I always claimed as a bow and have never been charged.

Comment

Call TSA and airlines and see if you can walk through security and board with an unstrung bow. Worst they can say is no. So long as your Toelke aint longer than the overhead bin you could let it ride on the carry on bags.

Or just put on some dark sunglasses and tape one end red and...practice being blind.
                        Last edited by Briar Friar; 01-26-2021, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Come out the airport ready for Prince John
                          Last edited by Briar Friar; 01-26-2021, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                              Call TSA and airlines and see if you can walk through security and board with an unstrung bow. Worst they can say is no. So long as your Toelke aint longer than the overhead bin you could let it ride on the carry on bags..

Taking a bow with, as, or in your carry on ain't happening!!!!!

Bisch

Comment

Working...
                              X