No announcement yet.

Don’t leave 6v battery in truck door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got one in my door pocket i keep forgetting to take out. i think you made me remember now!

Comment

Good reminder. I had the same thing happen with a feeder battery I had put in a cardboard box full of stuff to take to the lease. Something metal - a hacksaw I think -fell across both terminals of the battery. Fortunately I was still standing close by when it started smoking. Ever since I try to remember to leave the plastic terminal covers in place.

Comment

People always give me grief because I am very careful with batteries . My inlaws camper caught on fire one weekend coming home from a weekend of camping due to a roasting fork that was stored by the camper battery. Burned it to the ground , we were able to get the brand new truck unhooked before it was damaged. My MIL was in front of us and smoke started rolling out of the back. The entire thing was gone in about 5 minutes. I have seen 9V batteries do the same thing when metal contacted both posts and caught a box on fire. At work I have all of our batteries for disposal get the posts taped. I had one guy sitting around for 8 hours one day taping them up . I keep feeder batteries in my door as well but always with something over the posts. I throw too much crap in my doors when I am at the lease ! Glad you are OK !

Comment

Dang, I thought that was the purpose of the door pockets was to keep batteries. Guess not

Comment

Crazy chit right there!

Comment

Bad idea to store feeder batteries anywhere but on a shelf!

Skinny

Comment

Holy chit.

Comment

Don't forget, that junk drawer in the kitchen........

Comment

I ended up with a totalled out 2006 Chevy because of a battery. Grabbed some stuff out of the back seat of the truck, and went running around the ranch for a few hours. When I got back, my windows were blacked out. Opened up the back door, and my back seat had a huge hole in it, and my headliner was melted. Interior REEKED of smoke. Body shop/insurance thought they could fix it. Nearly replaced whole interior, then decided to total it out.

A large ratchet strap was on the floor, along with a feeder battery. The ratchet made contact with the posts on top, caught the battery on fire, then the truck. Guess with the windows up, the fire choked itself out. If I'd of had the windows cracked, the whole truck and probably acres of land would have caught fire...

Comment

Wow. That’s a shame. Glad you didn’t lose the truck
                      Thanks for posting. I’ve a ton of batteries lying around

Believe it or not, had a feeder battery in a bag with some loose .40 ammo in the back of my Tahoe.
                      Turned a corner and one if the shells went off. Took me a while to figure out that I️ wasn’t shot and no one had fired at me. I️ checked my pistol twice to be sure it wasn’t me.

FYI. Bullet went nowhere, but scared the heck out of me.

Comment

Glad im not only that has happened to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TXBowhunter11 View Post
                          Wow!
                          x10

Comment

Yikes! That's something I'm guilty of myself, I WILL pay attention from now on. Never gave it a second thought!

Comment

I have two in the floor board of my personal truck at home.

Comment

I had 2 feeder 12V batts and a bunch of AA batts in my floorboard for quite a while before dropping them off at Home Depot. Not gonna do that any more!!

Sorry for your experience

Comment

Working...
                                X