Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-04-2019, 06:47 PM   #1
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas
Default Ford F150 Ecoboost 4x4? Talk me out of it.

I am not loyal to brands but I have always had Chevy Suburbans and Trucks. I have an 05 2500 duramax 4x4 now. Im ready to move down to a 150 or 1500. I rode in the back seat of a 18' F150 and there is twice as much room back there without a doubt. He said he gets 21-22 mpg and has a heavy foot. Im getting old I guess. He had a camper shell that I really liked too. He also had a full size slide out tray in the bed. That was the bomb!
The major part is my wife is on board with getting a 17-18 used one. That's unheard of at my house. Yes I still have my man card!!

Yalls thoughts???
Abcdj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2019, 06:51 PM   #2
JeffJ
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Somewhere in the hillcountry golden triangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abcdj View Post
I am not loyal to brands but I have always had Chevy Suburbans and Trucks. I have an 05 2500 duramax 4x4 now. Im ready to move down to a 150 or 1500. I rode in the back seat of a 18' F150 and there is twice as much room back there without a doubt. He said he gets 21-22 mpg and has a heavy foot. Im getting old I guess. He had a camper shell that I really liked too. He also had a full size slide out tray in the bed. That was the bomb!

The major part is my wife is on board with getting a 17-18 used one. That's unheard of at my house. Yes I still have my man card!!

Yalls thoughts???

Had a Ď12. Loved the get up and go. Nothing eco about my truck though. I hear the newer ones are better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JeffJ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2019, 06:53 PM   #3
KyleW
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gordon TX

There are some good rebates on 2019 models right now when I looked a few weeks back
KyleW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2019, 06:55 PM   #4
Texas Stalker
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma/Taylor County

Iím just here to talk you into it. Iím looking at picking up the 3.5 in an xlt and adding all the goodies. Iíve had a few and love em. As for buying only a couple years old Iíd suggest buying new. Get a warranty, brand new truck, and the price is not going to be much different. And better Finance terms available. Used market is cray cray right now. Year end deals right now too. The question is not if to get one.....just what color??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Texas Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2019, 06:56 PM   #5
sideways
Ten Point

You will love it buy one!!!

sideways is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2019, 06:59 PM   #6
Sackett
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County

Do it. We have had my wife's '18 Expy 4wd with the 3.5L EcoBoost and absolutely love it. We just got back from a 1000 mile round trip over Thanksgiving,.much of it traveling 80 mph and averaged 20 7 mpg based on the trip. Actual mpg during the week in Houston traffic has been 18.5 mpg.

This is with the 10-spd transmission, so not sure of the '18 F150 had that feature or not.
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2019, 07:04 PM   #7
Royal
Six Point

I've always been a Chevy guy as well but will have to admit the Ecoboost get great gas milage and have tons of power for pulling. A work mate of mine has one and I have been very impressed. The interior is much larger as well. I have been warned by several mechanic buddies of mine that the Ecoboost will be a nightmare at high miles due to the turbo wearing out the engine. With all that being said I would buy one and get rid of it before it hits 100k miles.
Royal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2019, 07:06 PM   #8
Lonestar Angler
Six Point

Hunt In: Uvalde

I think your better deal would be a new one. Used 1-2 year old trucks are stupid priced.
Lonestar Angler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2019, 07:11 PM   #9
bowhunterhelm
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leander, my back yard

I had a 2011 with 35's. Loved the truck, fuel mileage was terrible but it had plenty of power. That little engine screams.

I upgraded to a F250 when we got a camper. The Ecoboost had plenty of power to pull it but the fuel mileage was 5-6 MPG. I have a heavy foot.
bowhunterhelm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2019, 07:12 PM   #10
Texas Stalker
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunterhelm View Post
I had a 2011 with 35's. Loved the truck, fuel mileage was terrible but it had plenty of power. That little engine screams.

I upgraded to a F250 when we got a camper. The Ecoboost had plenty of power to pull it but the fuel mileage was 5-6 MPG. I have a heavy foot.

Then big tires kill fuel mileage. Almost need to get it regeared. Been there down that.

Old 12-04-2019, 07:22 PM   #11
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar Angler View Post
I think your better deal would be a new one. Used 1-2 year old trucks are stupid priced.
I ve noticed that. I haven't been truck shopping in years. Sure makes it easy to keep your old one
Old 12-04-2019, 07:23 PM   #12
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Stalker View Post
Iím just here to talk you into it. Iím looking at picking up the 3.5 in an xlt and adding all the goodies. Iíve had a few and love em. As for buying only a couple years old Iíd suggest buying new. Get a warranty, brand new truck, and the price is not going to be much different. And better Finance terms available. Used market is cray cray right now. Year end deals right now too. The question is not if to get one.....just what color??

Whats all the goodies?
Old 12-04-2019, 07:30 PM   #13
Texas Stalker
Pope & Young

Steel bumpers, leveling kit, 33Ē wheels and black wheels, Katskin leather interior, spray in bed liner, window tint and maybe a tune if it needs it. I really like the Abyss grey with black wheels. I can do all that and itís still cheaper than a King Ranch and maybe even a lariat.

Old 12-04-2019, 07:32 PM   #14
FireNguns
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson County

Y’all are getting better mpg out of the ecoboosts 4x4 than I have heard. I thought they only got around 17average.
I have an F150 with 5.0 and average about 13.5 but have 35” tires.
FireNguns is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2019, 07:34 PM   #15
BuckSmasher
Ten Point

Hunt In: All Over

Quote:

Yalls thoughts???
I'm here to talk you into it. I have ~106k on my 2015 and love it. A third of that is towing a boat, tractor, travel trailer, hay, or a flatbed utility. I a have airlift helper springs and this thing is a towing machine.

I don't get anywhere NEAR 21-22 mpg. I have slightly larger than stock 33' BFGs and a 1.5 leveling kit. If I drive easy for a tank I can get 16 or 17. On the hwy If I go 60-65 I can get 20 or so. Who goes 60 on the freeway?

Much better mpg than the 4.6 V8 (easy driving it got 13 or 14 and was a terd) it replaced and it is the most power you can get in a half ton, 6.2 Chevy technically makes more power, but only when it is cool and at sea level. The turbos don't even drop off at altitude. That is nice when you travel out west.
BuckSmasher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2019, 07:34 PM   #16
muddyfuzzy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Parts Unknown

I had a 15í 4x4 eco that I pulled 170k on with no major issues when I traded it in. Solid vehicle imo.

muddyfuzzy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2019, 07:39 PM   #17
MBV77
Ten Point

Hunt In: Clay County

You may be able to get a helI of a deal on a new Ď19 right now thatíll end up cheaper than buying used. I bought a new Ď18 model Chevrolet 1500 right after Christmas last year. Sticker on it was $45,500. I gave a little over $28K for it. Bought it at Holiday Chevrolet in Whitesboro. Holiday Ford is right next door. Might want to see what kind of deals theyíve got got going on in a couple of weeks when theyíre trying to clear out all the 19ís.

MBV77 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2019, 08:01 PM   #18
Gilly
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Duval, Frio County

I have a first gen ecoboost (2011) FX4 with the 3.73 gears. Only has $100k miles and is going strong. Wish I had the 36gal tank though

Gilly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2019, 09:12 PM   #19
CSanders
Ten Point

Hunt In: Palestine

I have a 15 eco with 70k trouble free miles. Maybe the newer ones get better mileage but mine was getting 17mpg with stock tires. I have 33’s now and get 15mpg with a light foot.
CSanders is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2019, 09:13 PM   #20
Olphart
Ten Point

Hunt In: My backyard!

I have a 2015 F150 2wd with the 2.7 turbo. I bought it new and love the mileage, comfort, and spacious cabin (and quiet unlike the POS 2010 Chevy I had). It can get up and go when needed.

There are things that I don't like.
1. The aluminum shell dents very easily; I put a small dent in the door frame by lightly bumping it with a guitar amp.
2. The annoying "fuel saver" is just that (annoying) and you can turn that off by pushing a button each time you start the engine. I've read that it can be avoided by removing a fuse but I haven't done that since it doesn't activate every time I brake to a stop.
3. I just found out yesterday that the oil pan and drain plug are heavy plastic and that the plug should be replaced around every 3rd oil change. I haven't done this and doubt that any service provider has done it, but I've ordered a couple off eBay. The Ford house wants $12 and change for one. The oil filter is in a "canister" on top of the engine, which is ok, I guess. As you can tell, I don't change my oil and rely on others for that service. I'm concerned about the use of plastic for the pan and plug and accompanying O rings.
Olphart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2019, 09:36 PM   #21
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Stalker View Post
Steel bumpers, leveling kit, 33Ē wheels and black wheels
Dang, his big will the tires be!
999 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2019, 09:41 PM   #22
BIGTERRY75
Ten Point

Hunt In: Van Zandt, Bosque, Rockwall

Turbos
BIGTERRY75 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2019, 09:42 PM   #23
skinsfan
Six Point

Hunt In: Goliad/Medina County

I have a 19 with 34,000 miles, average 15-17 mpg, 80% highway. Awesome truck and big fuel tank offsets the poor mileage!
skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2019, 09:43 PM   #24
Texas Stalker
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 999 View Post
Dang, his big will the tires be!

Lmao. I meant 33Ē tires and black wheels.

Old 12-04-2019, 09:50 PM   #25
Tex1986
Eight Point

Hunt In: Polk & Angelina Co.

Iíve been researching this truck heavily myself. From what Iíve researched they seem to be very solid trucks. I would prefer the max tow package and 3.73 rear end.
I would be very interested in hearing the weight of loads people are hauling. We just bought a 30í bumper pull travel trailer with a 6,200 lb dry weight and 920 lb tongue weight. Iím afraid our trailer is a little to much for this truck. I donít want to be white knuckled when I pull. Not to derail the op but I would like to hear comments.

Tex1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2019, 10:30 PM   #26
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex1986 View Post
Iíve been researching this truck heavily myself. From what Iíve researched they seem to be very solid trucks. I would prefer the max tow package and 3.73 rear end.
I would be very interested in hearing the weight of loads people are hauling. We just bought a 30í bumper pull travel trailer with a 6,200 lb dry weight and 920 lb tongue weight. Iím afraid our trailer is a little to much for this truck. I donít want to be white knuckled when I pull. Not to derail the op but I would like to hear comments.

No derail. I was fixing to ask the same question!
Old 12-04-2019, 11:31 PM   #27
Dave W
Ten Point

Hunt In: Crystal City

I am looking at a 2019 King ranch. Haven’t decided to go new or used.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2019, 11:57 PM   #28
stingebow
Eight Point

Hunt In: Robertson, Burleson, Wherever

My actual mpg is in the 18 range. I have got in the 20's on long trips

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
stingebow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2019, 11:58 PM   #29
Chuy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Falfurrias

beautiful trucks and plenty of power. i just canít get over the tin foil body. i donít know whoís great idea that was, but we have over 120 vehicles in our fleet and by far... our big spend is repairing these **** candy wrapper fords.

if it wasnít for that, iíd probably have gone that route before my tundra. they are so nice
Chuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2019, 12:09 AM   #30
djo51
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas and Oklahoma

Love my 18. 3.5 4x4. Tons of backseat room. In October had an antelope trip to Wyoming and sight seeing back home with almost 60 hours and 3000 miles in the truck over a week, with no complaints, other than I wish I had a camper shell instead of a tonneau. I donít pay very much attention to mileage but Iím averaging 18mpg with just a little bigger than factory tire. Very happy with ďstepping downĒ from a 3/4 ton.
djo51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2019, 04:02 AM   #31
Slicefixer
Six Point

Hunt In: KS, AR, TX,LA

Quote:
No derail. I was fixing to ask the same question!
Mines 31'
My 5.4l 3v pulls it without any strain.....
EB supposedly better
Slicefixer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2019, 06:59 AM   #32
bloodstick
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan View Post
I have a 19 with 34,000 miles, average 15-17 mpg, 80% highway. Awesome truck and big fuel tank offsets the poor mileage!

Do you drive it with the skinny pedal on the floor?
My dealership rolled a brand new one off the trailer and handed me the keys as a loaner while mine was in the shop. Drove it for almost a week 180 miles a day and averaged 21. Best mileage was cruising 75 and got 23 on highway.

This was a 2019 f150 supercrew STX with the xlt appearance package, 4wd, Fx4.

bloodstick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2019, 07:10 AM   #33
Dakota7493
Ten Point

Hunt In: Erath County

Iíve got a Ď19 2.7 eco, crew, stx, 2wd. Love it! Get 22 mpg in bumper to bumper stop and go every morning traffic. Heading ice fishing to ND in a few weeks, canít wait to see how it does with cruise on for extended times.
Dakota7493 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2019, 08:01 AM   #34
hogdaddy
Ten Point

Hunt In: where ever

cool thing is it is as strong at 11,000 feet as it is on the beach.
hogdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2019, 08:15 AM   #35
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion co, Navarro Co

If your aren’t pulling any really big trailer loads it’s hard to beat. An eco boost with a 3.73 reared will pull anything you put behind it. Your just limited to controlling it with the 1/2 ton chassis. I had a 2012 crew cab with the 6.5’ bed. I loved that truck. My wife has a 2019 exposition xl with the ecoboost, it will flat haul *** and gets really good mileage. I wouldn’t hesitate for a second to get another one. If I were you I would get one with the 6.5’ bed, they will be tougher to find used but that extra 1’ make a would of difference especially if you put a tool box in the bed or haul much stuff on trips. Most 1/2 ton crew cabs have the 5.5’ bed

Last edited by KactusKiller; 12-05-2019 at 08:18 AM.
KactusKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2019, 08:24 AM   #36
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana

I would buy it. Just don't expect 20 MPG. The gauge may say that, but hand calc will be closer to 18. Also, get the camper shell. Hands down the best investment I made in my truck after the delete.
WItoTX is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2019, 08:28 AM   #37
Bowtech1233
Ten Point

Hunt In: Denton County, Donley County

Are you talking about getting the 2.7 or the 3.5? I don’t know anyone getting that kind of MPG with the 3.5. 2.7 will get that though.
Bowtech1233 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2019, 08:36 AM   #38
Sky
Six Point

Hunt In: Bangs, TX

Stock wheels/tires yes good mileage and power. If you ever go bigger, it kills it on the ecoboosts. Had a company truck awhile back, when I kept getting flats I stepped up to 33s 10 ply, it was a totally different truck then..

Just buy my 18 Z71 Silverado, make you a good deal on it.
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2019, 09:09 AM   #39
CSanders
Ten Point

Hunt In: Palestine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex1986 View Post

The most Iíve towed with my eco was my mule pro and a 5x7 box blind on an 18 foot trailer together. The truck pulled the load well but the resistance from the wind will really pull the truck around on the road. Another thing was stopping power.. the trailer has brakes and it still was a little sketchy when needing to slow down quickly. If I towed anything more I would go back to a f250. I had one prior to the f150 and obviously it towed much better. With the price of new f150ís I donít see myself getting another one over a 250, even if I donít tow much.
CSanders is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2019, 09:25 AM   #40
gemini2759
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mostly public

I've got a 2019 STX FX4 2.7 with 12k miles already. Gas mileage not that great at about 18mpg and I don't have a heavy foot. Rides nice, drives nice.
gemini2759 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2019, 09:37 AM   #41
ArcheryGS44
Four Point

I own a 2018 F150 FX4 XLT, 3.5 EcoBoost, 10 speed trans, max tow with 3.53 rear end, 6.5 foot bed with an ARE topper; otherwise it is stock. I get ~16.5 to 17 mpg with most driving on the highway and probably loaded with a couple hundred pounds of gear. If I drive 65 mph with an unloaded truck maybe around 20 mpg but I haven't done that in a long time.

I recently pulled a 22 foot tandem axle trailer with a total weight of around 6500 pounds to Kansas and back, the truck pulled the weight easily and stopping was not more of an issue than you will have with pulling any trailer when the trailer brakes are adjusted and working properly. I got about 7 mpg on the highway on this trip. I don't know how it will pull a camper with its large side profile in a crosswind. If I was going to tow a lot I would move up in truck size.

John
ArcheryGS44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2019, 10:25 AM   #42
Wall_Hanger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria & Re„l county

I love my 3.5 ecoboost 4x4. Not a single issue out of it and tons of room compared to my GMC 2500 crew cab.

Ford offers several rear end gear ratios, your mileage will be dependent on what rear end you have and how you drive. I have a 2015 F-150 w/max tow package (3.55 gears with electric locking differential). If you drive moderately, the lower geared trucks will get better mileage on average because you can get up to speed with little help from the turbo. I have several friends with higher ratios and they don't get as good of mileage when driving around town or in traffic but get better mileage when driving straight highway.

I average 18.5 - 19.2 (hand) driving from the Lake Houston area to the Galleria every day. On long trips I will get 20+ mpg every time. With a turbo you have to change your driving style to get better mileage. If you are in the throttle enough to build significant boost levels all the time you will get worse mileage. This was true on my tuned F-250 as well. The truck starts increasing fuel supplied as the turbo boost increases and that is when your mileage drops off.
Wall_Hanger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2019, 10:32 AM   #43
sbushee
Ten Point

Hunt In: The Outside

Buy a Chevrolet. That should be enough

But after reading some of the posts, that Ford looks promising

Last edited by sbushee; 12-05-2019 at 10:37 AM.
sbushee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2019, 10:53 AM   #44
tbgascorer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mills County

Lifetime mileage on my '12, 3.5L is 15.6mpg.
My dad's V8 gets way better.
tbgascorer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2019, 11:02 AM   #45
MacDaddy67
Ten Point

Talk you out of it.....

It's a Ford...nuff said
MacDaddy67 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2019, 11:09 AM   #46
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

I don't care what you get but I put 100k miles on an 18 with the 5.0 in 14 months without one issue...Dad had the big eco in his last king ranch & we both prefer the torque / curve of the V8 power.

Find a long bed 4x4 if you can..it's not much longer really but sure does help, especially if you throw on a box.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2019, 11:18 AM   #47
Casey
Administrator

Hunt In: Frio, Blanco Counties

I have a 13 with the 6.5' bed. Lifetime mileage on mine is 14.9 and I've towed my Ranger Crew on a 16' trailer for about 10000 miles of the 150k I have on it. I do have the rattle on startup that was a problem with the 13's and other years. It's not to the point I want to do the $3500 repair to replace timing chain, phasers, etc.

All in all, it's been a great engine. I'd buy another one.
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2019, 11:19 AM   #48
chongo
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County

I have a 5.0 not an ecoboost but, it has been a great truck for me. I bought a 15' two years ago, I've put close to 60k miles on it, about 10k of that is towing something (32' camper, 10'-18' flatbed with 4wheelers or Ranger/Mule). The truck has been great, body has held up well. Mechanically the truck is sound and has not been in the shop other than regular maintenance.

The 3.5 eco is quicker and will pull better due simply due to where it makes it's power in the RPM band but, as far as mileage goes, it's going to be a wash between the 3.5 eco and 5.0. A lot of guys getting high teens and some getting low teens in a stock 5.0 CC 4x4. Bigger/heavier tires will affect the mpg’s though. I get 14.5-16 depending on the hwy.

Whichever route you go, the F150 is a good truck and will meet your needs provided you're not hauling a heavy load frequently. If I had to haul my old 32' camper more than a few times a year I would have gone up in truck as you definitely notice the weight behind you. And, get the 6.5' bed. The extra foot makes a big difference.

Last edited by chongo; 12-05-2019 at 11:22 AM.
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2019, 12:06 PM   #49
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: LookingÖ.Pow Pow!

A chevy will prolly get better fuel mileage in a couple years. Most of the electronics will be broke by then and the alternator won't be dragging the motor down un-necessarily.
Traildust is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2019, 12:21 PM   #50
Javelin
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Northern Polk County on the river, Houston County

i will tell you I highly recomend you go with Ram and the hemi. they get great fuel mileage these days and IMO a much nicer truck. I owned a 13 model ford 5.0 FX4 and it was really nice, but I think the ram will hold up better
Javelin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top