Pinto Beans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pinto Beans

Has anyone ever cooked pintos for 250-300? Im arguing with myself on how many pounds to cook.

The most I have cooked for was around 125. I did 12 pounds and I think we probably had about 4 left over.

The local bbq place quoted use 10-11 pounds.

The interwebs says 30

Thinking about just averaging it and going with about 20-25

Any help would be appreciated.

They do it every year at Bownanza. Check with the Team Bean members.

Stolle is the bean man!
    Last edited by Burnadell; 02-25-2014, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Not sure on how many pounds to cook. I want to know how many cans of air freshener will you be buying ?

Comment

Oh and this is not main dish, it is a side for bbq plates. So servings would be 4-6 oz

Comment

Internet would lead you to believe that 1 lb feeds 8-10 people, I think that as a side it feeds more like 12-14 people. With that being said, I would do at least 25 lbs for 300 people that are all going to sit down and eat.

Comment

Originally posted by Skipshot View Post
            Internet would lead you to believe that 1 lb feeds 8-10 people, I think that as a side it feeds more like 12-14 people. With that being said, I would do at least 25 lbs for 300 people that are all going to sit down and eat.
            this . . . . beans are cheap it's better to pitch some then run out.

Comment

Kinda how I was leaning. Now I have to hope I can tweak my recipe for that much and still come out edible. I can thank my lovely wife for volunteering me for this since she is the head of this fundraiser.

Comment

Winner winner chicken dinner! The wife always wins!!!! Volunteer her to clean the fish at the next fish fry fundraiser.

Comment

Carbon footprint will be large.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybo31 View Post
                    Has anyone ever cooked pintos for 250-300? Im arguing with myself on how many pounds to cook.

The most I have cooked for was around 125. I did 12 pounds and I think we probably had about 4 left over.

The interwebs says 30

Ok. Thats a big range but I will give you the formula and you can adjust as you wish to feed your group. We broke it down to the pound. My math says that one pound will give you 15 servings. As you add bacon or any other items you can get an additional serving or 2 out of the pound.

I would plan to serve 10% more that you are told! So if you feeding 275, go a head and cook 20lbs of beans add your extras and you will be fine.

PS: I am talking about dried pinto's not canned beans. Canned your on your own.
                    Last edited by BBBGP; 02-25-2014, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by holdem View Post
                      Carbon footprint will be large.
                      Thanks for the laugh. 25 lbs should be PLENTY and only a few bucks difference from 15 lbs. Have fun!

Comment

Please post where all these folks will be eating. Everyone needs to be at least two states away for at least 48 hours afterward. Gonna be some earthquake and fracking occurances for at least that long!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybo31 View Post

The interwebs says 30

I'm about to soak an 8lb bag of them tonight, for the dutch oven tomorrow. Looking forward to some full bellies and bean farts!

Comment

I cooked beans for 300 once at a rodeo committee appreciation dinner but don't remember how many pounds I used. I know I had at least 5 gallons left over. Kept them in the outside fridge and ate on them for a week until they started to sour. I dumped them out to dry way back in the corner of my property thinking the dog wouldn't find them.

Boy, was I ever wrong. My heeler trailed my footprints straight to them and ate them all. Like 4 gallons of soured beans. It was terrible. She started blasting out the most disgusting farts ever made. She was a house dog and we were all miserable for weeks. They were so bad that SHE would leave the room. It would have been funny if it wasn't so disgusting. We would all be watching TV and she would let a silent one out and as soon as she did it she would stand up, stretch, and then casually wander out of the room and go to the other end of the house...about the time we noticed her leaving the wall of noxious vapor would hit us and almost gag us as we fled the room and the smell would linger for hours.

Comment

One pound feed 4 grown people at my house...with 2nds!

Comment

Working...
                              X