Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Traditional

Old 01-05-2018, 09:48 PM   #1
Dry Bones
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas, Whatever comes available
Default Wood = Good

With the start to a new year, I have been curious enough about wood arrows to finally take the step. I traded into these as a starter. I will continue to shoot targets with them until i get the chance to take a live animal, then I can make my final decision. I know a lot of us use carbon, but just something about a wood arrow in flight from a longbow or recurve... It just feels right.
Attached Images

Dry Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2018, 09:50 PM   #2
Dry Bones
Ten Point

The above arrows are Douglas Fir that have been "Lightly Toasted." All weighing withing a few grains of 494 and spined at 48#. Longbow is 51# @ my 27"
Old 01-06-2018, 12:26 AM   #3
coop
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lake Whitney

Good looking arrows. With the exception of a little experimenting with fiberglass in the early 70s, graflex in the early 80s and aluminum in the late 80s I have used and hunted with wood for over 50 years. While each of the other type of arrows had their advantages I kept going back to wood. I've had more than my share of luck in those years so I don't see me changing any time soon.

Good luck with the woods.
coop is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-06-2018, 07:55 AM   #4
bassmatt72
Ten Point

Hunt In: Any place I can.

Cool, I've dabbled with trad gear off and for a few years and I enjoy messing around with wooden arrows.
bassmatt72 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-06-2018, 09:04 AM   #5
Tomkat70
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason ,Brady,Menard

Nice
Tomkat70 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-06-2018, 10:00 AM   #6
tradtiger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lee Co., Granger

Nice. Like the char-camo.
tradtiger is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-06-2018, 10:14 AM   #7
White Falcon
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Tx. and Anywhere I can!

I Like!
White Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-06-2018, 11:30 AM   #8
Geezy Rider
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise Co.

Nice.
Until I'm a better shot I'm not getting anymore woods. I had a dozen made by a real craftsman and I've broken everyone of them.
Geezy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2018, 10:03 AM   #9
Dry Bones
Ten Point

Geezy Rider, that was exactly why I haven't ventured that route. i had a set done about a year ago, and broke them to fast. Now I feel a little more confident in my shot and have decided to move forward with the woods again.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:55 AM   #10
Phillip Fields
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NC,TX, and anywhere else I can

When I got back into trad archery in the early 90s, I used wood arrow. I continued to use wood until 2002 when I started getting ready for my first African trip in July 2003. I wanted something I could depend on not warping in a change of climate. It is hot and humid at my home near the coast of Virginia and I knew it was going to be cool and dry in the Limpopo region of Africa, so I built a set of carbons. I had run into a warpage problem in going from Virginia to Alaska in '97. The extra toughness also added a certain assurance that baggage handlers wouldn't leave me with broken arrows.

I'm back to shooting wood on my primary bow, but keep some tuned carbon, just in case I decide to make another major trip.
Phillip Fields is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2018, 07:12 PM   #11
chackworth3
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson county, Oklahoma

Some good looking arrows. As far as shooting goes, nothing beats shooting some well tuned wood arrows IMO
chackworth3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2018, 02:36 PM   #12
Bisch
Pope & Young

Good looking sticks, but Iím just gonna stick with my old carbon/aluminum hybrids!!!

Woods are too finicky for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bisch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2018, 06:52 PM   #13
Dry Bones
Ten Point

One bad day and few broke sticks. So this was what I really did not want to admit. Carbon arrows can take a lick and still shootable. Does not seem like the wood is going to do that. Still fun to shoot, but I may have to go back to carbons for my casual everyday shooters.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:42 PM   #14
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri

Carbons are tougher but I trashed a few of them over the years. Two last Thursday out of my compound. Had been so long since I practiced with it past 25 yards. We have a rock holding a piece of plywood on top of the target. A carbon arrow at 275fps comes apart when you center a big rock. Btw those last two pins aren't 35 and 40.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 11:08 AM   #15
wytex
Six Point

Hunt In: Wyoming , Texas, Colorado, Nebraska

Been using woodies for years and have only broken a few, usually stump shooting. I shoot footed shafts now only because they look really nice, extremely expensive to buy bare shafts though. I leave the bottom 6-8 inches natural so blood color is easily seen.
You set up sounds alot like mine: doug fir- osage footed shafts, 51# longbow 26 1/2 inch draw, 125 gr broadhead. Predator Longbow out of Muenster, Tx.
Woods are just fun to make and shoot. Like the toast on em!
wytex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 12:03 PM   #16
caughtandhobble
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Those are some great looking arrows. I bet they shoot as well as they look with those tight specs.

I love good wood arrows. It seems every time I get or make a nice set I break 2 or 3 the first week of shooting them. I have an old set of 3 Rivers pre-stained arrows that I have had for years, lol.
caughtandhobble is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 12:17 PM   #17
tex4k
Ten Point

Hunt In: Reagan, Upton, Crockett, and Uvalde counties

Nothing more therapeutic than building up a bunch of poc arrows, I can even smell one after breaking an arrow and not feel quite so bad about it.
tex4k is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 08:36 PM   #18
Dry Bones
Ten Point

I know this is going to be a opinion based question. BUT where do you buy your shafts? I have been planning on ordering from Surewood for my Douglas fir, but have not committed anywhere yet. Does not need to be the BEST there is, but a good set of shootable shafts in either Douglas Fir or POC.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:42 PM   #19
Draco
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Bones View Post
I know this is going to be a opinion based question. BUT where do you buy your shafts? I have been planning on ordering from Surewood for my Douglas fir, but have not committed anywhere yet. Does not need to be the BEST there is, but a good set of shootable shafts in either Douglas Fir or POC.
Check into Sitka spruce shafts. They are 4 times as strong as cedar but weigh less.
Draco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 12:38 PM   #20
wytex
Six Point

Hunt In: Wyoming , Texas, Colorado, Nebraska

Raptor Archery. He has several different wood shafts and makes good products. Might not be cheap but I've always gotten quality from Ted.
Alaska yellow cedar is also a good wood. I try to find nice heavy shafts in a 11/32 tapered shaft, better penetration for me with my 49-50# draw weight. Quieter too.
Anybody else use 4 fletch ?
wytex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 05:03 PM   #21
Dry Bones
Ten Point

I will probably be the <1% here, but I like as little fletch as I can get away with. REALLY good tuned arrows do not need much fletching. I have hunted the past few seasons with 3- 2" fletchings. I stepped up to 3" this year and the woods pictured were traded with 5" fletchings already in place. I know I will not do that when I make my own. The 2" worked pretty well with my carbons.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:19 PM   #22
Phillip Fields
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NC,TX, and anywhere else I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Bones View Post
I will probably be the <1% here, but I like as little fletch as I can get away with. REALLY good tuned arrows do not need much fletching. I have hunted the past few seasons with 3- 2" fletchings. I stepped up to 3" this year and the woods pictured were traded with 5" fletchings already in place. I know I will not do that when I make my own. The 2" worked pretty well with my carbons.
I like plenty of fletching and use 5". I consider my arrows to be well tuned and could get by with 2" fletching. But, I am a hunter and sometimes find myself shooting from awkward positions. If I pluck the string or short-draw, a 5" fletching will quickly correct the arrow and keep me on target. A 2" will not. 2" are fine on the target or 3d range, but fall short in the hunting woods.
Phillip Fields is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2018, 01:12 AM   #23
Selfbowman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where ya'll take Me

I started with carbons but shoot nothing but woods now. Those flight arrows are a pain though. Arvin.
Selfbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2018, 09:56 PM   #24
Dry Bones
Ten Point

Thought I should do some updates. These are the remainder of what I traded into.
Then a few pics of some random shooting. I'm liking the wood flight. Somehow it's just more relaxing. I tried rotating the pic, but for some reason it keeps turning itself back on the page.
Attached Images

Last edited by Dry Bones; 01-23-2018 at 10:07 PM. Reason: sideways pic
Old 01-23-2018, 09:58 PM   #25
Dry Bones
Ten Point

Sorry for the big pics. Missed the set. I'll try again
These are just a few from the different woods I now have. Notice the middle arrow. It a cane arrow with stone point and self knocked. Knapped and made by Jeff Freeman.
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2018, 10:11 PM   #26
Dry Bones
Ten Point

All of these have the longer fletchings (5"), which is fine and I will leave them this way. BUT my first made arrows will be much shorter, like my carbon arrows. Just my preference. None of the deer or pigs that I have been fortunate enough to take have minded a 2 or 3" fletch yet so I will keep doing what suits me.
I realize there are advantages to using the longer fletchings as Phillip has pointed out. I just really like the shorter feathers with less wind noise,... and the look.