Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Traditional
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2018, 06:17 PM   #1
RickBarbee
Pope & Young
 
RickBarbee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Texas Back Roads
Hunt In: Where I am
Default Flight Shooting My Hunting Rig

This was done with my ILF Hunting Recurve:

JC Optimus 21" Riser

TradTech Carbon/Wood Limbs

64" Overall Length

69.5# @ my 29.5" Draw Length

`````````````

Arrows:

Widowmaker Smash .300's

BOP Length 31"

175gr Bishop Archery Right Single Bevel Broadheads

Total Weight 640 grains

9.2 GPP

FOC 14.4%

4 X 4" Marco Soft Vanes Fletch Right Helical

Average Speed 208 FPS

`````````````

Conditions:

72 degrees / 15mph wind gusting to 25mph / Humidity 53%

`````````````

Into The Wind:

318

302

298

297

294

Average - 301.8



`````````````

With The Wind

319

316

296

294

293

Average - 303.6



`````````````

The distances are an average between the GPS readings, and a range finder.
Likely not dead nutz accurate, but I bet +/- one yard would be very close.

I was really surprised the wind made so little difference,
but I'll be doing this again on a day with better conditions.

I was guesstimating the angle of the shots to 45 degrees.
I was a little disappointed with my shooting, and how much I varied the distances on each round, but in that wind I guess it wasn't to bad.

Rick
RickBarbee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2018, 06:34 PM   #2
Geezy Rider
Pope & Young
 
Geezy Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Weatherford, Tx.
Hunt In: Wise Co.
Default

Is this just for fun or does it mean something?
Geezy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2018, 06:39 PM   #3
DRT
Pope & Young
 
DRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Fort Worth, Tx
Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri
Default

He was standing on the wall at Troy and . . . Well Agamemnon. . . .

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2018, 06:45 PM   #4
Geezy Rider
Pope & Young
 
Geezy Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Weatherford, Tx.
Hunt In: Wise Co.
Default

I once shot my compound for distance and it went about 300 yards.
Geezy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2018, 07:04 PM   #5
RickBarbee
Pope & Young
 
RickBarbee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Texas Back Roads
Hunt In: Where I am
Default

It was just for fun.

I just wanted to see what my hunting rig would do.

Had a guy just PM me on the LW, and tell me - The current world record with a 70# recurve, and 450 grain arrows is 402 yards, but I'm not going to drop down to that weight arrow in this bow to find out. LOL

Rick
RickBarbee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2018, 07:13 PM   #6
jerp
Pope & Young
 
jerp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Aledo
Hunt In: Shackleford Co.
Default

There is something really fun about launching for distance like that - you can imagine yourself at Agincourt. I used to hunt with a guy that managed a golf course - we would do that on the fairways when they were closed
jerp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2018, 07:38 PM   #7
Geezy Rider
Pope & Young
 
Geezy Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Weatherford, Tx.
Hunt In: Wise Co.
Default

I imagine Robin Hood loosing his arrow to mark his burial spot.
Geezy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2018, 07:58 PM   #8
RickBarbee
Pope & Young
 
RickBarbee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Texas Back Roads
Hunt In: Where I am
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezy Rider View Post
I imagine Robin Hood loosing his arrow to mark his burial spot.
Hmmmm. That gives me an idea.
Kind of gruesome maybe.
I wonder if they will let me shoot my bow in a cemetery?

Rick
RickBarbee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2018, 08:41 PM   #9
Geezy Rider
Pope & Young
 
Geezy Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Weatherford, Tx.
Hunt In: Wise Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBarbee View Post
Hmmmm. That gives me an idea.
Kind of gruesome maybe.
I wonder if they will let me shoot my bow in a cemetery?

Rick
With that yardage it had better be a big cemetery.
Geezy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2018, 09:03 PM   #10
RickBarbee
Pope & Young
 
RickBarbee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Texas Back Roads
Hunt In: Where I am
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezy Rider View Post
With that yardage it had better be a big cemetery.
I was thinking more along the lines of shooting "UP".

Rick
RickBarbee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2018, 09:33 PM   #11
Draco
Pope & Young
 
Draco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgetown, Texas
Default

There is a reason to be good at it. The picture is me shooting a 76# Bear recurve with an 808 reel on it and 20# line. I used a solid fiberglass fish arrow to help pull the line and could shoot right at 300'. I used this set up to get a line across canyons, creeks and sloughs on the lake. A rope was then reeled back across to pull telephone cable across. I was amazed at how many times I could actually hit the pole on the other side. I'm aiming quite a bit out of the lead to allow for the wind.
Attached Images
 
Draco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2018, 07:40 AM   #12
Geezy Rider
Pope & Young
 
Geezy Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Weatherford, Tx.
Hunt In: Wise Co.
Default

That's archery taken to a new level. Cool.
Geezy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2018, 08:07 AM   #13
Briar Friar
Ten Point
 
Briar Friar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Texas
Hunt In: San Gabriel, Colorado and Rio Grande watersheds
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco View Post
There is a reason to be good at it. The picture is me shooting a 76# Bear recurve with an 808 reel on it and 20# line. I used a solid fiberglass fish arrow to help pull the line and could shoot right at 300'. I used this set up to get a line across canyons, creeks and sloughs on the lake. A rope was then reeled back across to pull telephone cable across. I was amazed at how many times I could actually hit the pole on the other side. I'm aiming quite a bit out of the lead to allow for the wind.
Awesome Draco! Cool pic. You were a brave man shooting at a hot pole...or crazy.

Rick...its interesting to see your shots into the gusty headwinds didnt drop the arrows sooner...but kept them aloft longer?
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2018, 08:26 AM   #14
RickBarbee
Pope & Young
 
RickBarbee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Texas Back Roads
Hunt In: Where I am
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briar Friar View Post
Rick...its interesting to see your shots into the gusty headwinds didnt drop the arrows sooner...but kept them aloft longer?
Yeah, I was very surprised by it. I was certain I would get a lot more distance going with the wind, but only got 1.8 yards average more, and that's not enough to really say there was a difference.

As you, I think into the wind held them aloft longer, and with the wind may have had some down draft effect.

Pure speculation though, I have no idea.

I'm going to be throwing in some "simple" aerodynamics additions into the fletching configuration next time I do it, just to see what difference it makes.

Rick
RickBarbee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2018, 08:48 AM   #15
stickbowcoop
Ten Point
 
stickbowcoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Springtown TX
Hunt In: OH, PA, looking for a place in TX.
Default

Cool stuff by both Rick and Draco.

I don't know if anyone does it here, but in PA the state organization (United Bowhunters of PA) puts on a golf shoot. The first shot from the tee is often as far as your bow can shoot, Rick would do well I imagine.
stickbowcoop is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2018, 09:03 AM   #16
RickBarbee
Pope & Young
 
RickBarbee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Texas Back Roads
Hunt In: Where I am
Default

Some years ago there were a few of us who played archery golf quite a lot.

I was shooting a 98# recurve with 605gr arrows. I did very well.

Then they changed the rules to only allow longbows, so I used a 75# longbow with 560gr arrows. Still did very well, but not quite as.

It was a lot of fun. We played for a nickel a shot, and winner take all. Group kinda fell apart after a while.

Rick
RickBarbee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2018, 02:20 PM   #17
tradtiger
Pope & Young
 
tradtiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Austin
Hunt In: Lee Co., Granger
Default

Very impressive shooting, Rick! Using a ruler and adjusting the computer screen pic size to make the 319-yard Down Wind shot equal to 5.75" makes for a bit over 55 yards per inch. Same view shows spread only 1/8" wide -- making the spread about 7 YARDS WIDE. Further means those arrows passed through a 16" imaginary hoop at 20 yards on their way to a fifth of a mile landing. Real question is: which cloud do you pick to aim at?
tradtiger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2018, 03:42 PM   #18
RickBarbee
Pope & Young
 
RickBarbee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Texas Back Roads
Hunt In: Where I am
Default

Thanks Ellis

I did tell my grandson there with me, that I was pleased with the line I held.

I picked a tree in the far tree line (roughly 750 yards away), and used it to line up on, then I just guesstimated the launch angle as close to 45% as I could get it.

This is a picture of the spread on the into the wind arrows looking back to ,and inline with the shooting station.



Rick
RickBarbee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2018, 05:40 PM   #19
Briar Friar
Ten Point
 
Briar Friar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Texas
Hunt In: San Gabriel, Colorado and Rio Grande watersheds
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBarbee View Post
Some years ago there were a few of us who played archery golf quite a lot.

I was shooting a 98# recurve with 605gr arrows. I did very well.

Then they changed the rules to only allow longbows, so I used a 75# longbow with 560gr arrows. Still did very well, but not quite as.

It was a lot of fun. We played for a nickel a shot, and winner take all. Group kinda fell apart after a while.

Rick
That sounds fun. Shoot to hole? Did you have to make it in the hole?
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2018, 06:41 PM   #20
RickBarbee
Pope & Young
 
RickBarbee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Texas Back Roads
Hunt In: Where I am
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briar Friar View Post
That sounds fun. Shoot to hole? Did you have to make it in the hole?
We had 4.5 inch diameter foam poles, that were about 4 ft tall with a fitting on the end of them to stand in the hole on the greens.

The pole had a 4.5 inch wide band around it at center, and that band was your final spot to hit. The hole if you will.

Once on the green you had to call pole, or green.

If you called pole you were only allowed to shoot at the band for 3 shots, and only then if you stuck an arrow in the pole each time.

If you missed the pole with any one of those 3 shots, you would take a 4 shot penalty, and move on to the next fairway.

If you missed the band with those 3 shots, but hit the pole each time, you would take a 3 shot penalty, and move on to the next fairway.

Oft times on large greens it was a safe call to call green, until you got closer.

Rick

EDIT for a PS:

I was at a disadvantage once on the green due to the speed & energy of my bow, which forced me to often have to short draw to keep from shooting through the pole.
BUT, that disadvantage was generally more than made up for in how few shots it took me to get on the green.

Last edited by RickBarbee; 03-04-2018 at 06:57 PM.
RickBarbee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2018, 11:35 PM   #21
Briar Friar
Ten Point
 
Briar Friar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Texas
Hunt In: San Gabriel, Colorado and Rio Grande watersheds
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBarbee View Post
We had 4.5 inch diameter foam poles, that were about 4 ft tall with a fitting on the end of them to stand in the hole on the greens.

The pole had a 4.5 inch wide band around it at center, and that band was your final spot to hit. The hole if you will.

Once on the green you had to call pole, or green.

If you called pole you were only allowed to shoot at the band for 3 shots, and only then if you stuck an arrow in the pole each time.

If you missed the pole with any one of those 3 shots, you would take a 4 shot penalty, and move on to the next fairway.

If you missed the band with those 3 shots, but hit the pole each time, you would take a 3 shot penalty, and move on to the next fairway.

Oft times on large greens it was a safe call to call green, until you got closer.

Rick

EDIT for a PS:

I was at a disadvantage once on the green due to the speed & energy of my bow, which forced me to often have to short draw to keep from shooting through the pole.
BUT, that disadvantage was generally more than made up for in how few shots it took me to get on the green.
Fantastic! Thanks for sharing that Rick. Archery golf sounds like a blast.
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2018, 07:28 AM   #22
stickbowcoop
Ten Point
 
stickbowcoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Springtown TX
Hunt In: OH, PA, looking for a place in TX.
Default

UBP uses a target. You count your "shots" and when at the green you shoot at the target. Hit the center and it's 1 shot, anywhere else on the target was 2. If you miss you have to shoot again and count the miss as a shot. So if it took you 3 to get there then you missed the bullseye but hit that target you ended up with 5 on that hole.
stickbowcoop is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2018, 03:23 AM   #23
Selfbowman
Ten Point
 
Selfbowman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tx
Hunt In: Where ya'll take Me
Default

Fun stuff Rick. Good distance with that setup. Last summer I got 202 with my selfbow. 50# bow with 500 gr. arrow. I shot 302 yds with a borrowed flight arrow out of fifty pound bow. 20 yds short of record in the 500 gr broad head. 38 yds short in the flight class. Those records are not easy to beat I can tell ya. I think the last twenty yds or so means you got a good ride on the wind.i will be going back to the salt flats this next summer. I'm not thru with those guys yet. I can't hit quarters at twenty yds but I can build a pretty good bow and hit the earth. Arvin
Selfbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2018, 06:36 AM   #24
RickBarbee
Pope & Young
 
RickBarbee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Texas Back Roads
Hunt In: Where I am
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selfbowman View Post
Fun stuff Rick. Good distance with that setup. Last summer I got 202 with my selfbow. 50# bow with 500 gr. arrow. I shot 302 yds with a borrowed flight arrow out of fifty pound bow. 20 yds short of record in the 500 gr broad head. 38 yds short in the flight class. Those records are not easy to beat I can tell ya. I think the last twenty yds or so means you got a good ride on the wind.i will be going back to the salt flats this next summer. I'm not thru with those guys yet. I can't hit quarters at twenty yds but I can build a pretty good bow and hit the earth. Arvin
Cool stuff Arvin. I was talking to Larry Hatfield about you just yesterday.
You must have made an impression on him.

He was wondering if I was ever gonna hook up, and make the run to salt flats with you. Told him I sure hope to some day when I can.

Rick
RickBarbee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2018, 08:40 AM   #25
Selfbowman
Ten Point
 
Selfbowman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tx
Hunt In: Where ya'll take Me
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBarbee View Post
Cool stuff Arvin. I was talking to Larry Hatfield about you just yesterday.
You must have made an impression on him.

He was wondering if I was ever gonna hook up, and make the run to salt flats with you. Told him I sure hope to some day when I can.

Rick
Rick I wish you would. You would love the flight stuff the way you are always thinking out side of the box. You and Arvin always trying to make a better mouse trap. I will say this about Larry he is the most interesting man that I have ever met. I know quite a few but none like Larry. I spent three days talking with him while not shooting. Don't know how well you know the man but love to share about some of his life with you sometime. Arvin
Selfbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2018, 08:57 AM   #26
RickBarbee
Pope & Young
 
RickBarbee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Texas Back Roads
Hunt In: Where I am
Default

I've never met Larry face to face (would absolutely love too), but I have known, and been in contact with him via other means for many years.

Have had many interesting conversations with him over the years.

Yes, he is interesting, extremely knowledgeable about archery & bowhunting (among many other things), and he's a hoot to boot.

To be quite honest, I often listen to him more like I would my Granddad, and even though our political & religious views are sometimes different (often quite different), he still mesmerizes with his calm common sense approach to things.

Yep. I'd sure love to meat him someday.
I've got a big old Texas Hug reserved for him, whether he wants it or not.

Rick
RickBarbee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2018, 05:40 PM   #27
Selfbowman
Ten Point
 
Selfbowman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tx
Hunt In: Where ya'll take Me
Default

I gave him and others that hug. You get out of west Tx and people just don't understand the hugs. They never missed seeing a neighbor for some days. Their back yard is not Tx. Yes a west Tx . hug is one of a kind. Arvin
Selfbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com