Old 02-25-2018, 11:50 AM   #1
Buff
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World
Default How hard do you like it?

I made it to a local 3-D shoot today.
Beautiful place with nice targets.
I was the only Trad guy that made it.
Average shot was right at 30 yards with none under 20.

I enjoy a challenge and had a good time with it only missing 2 targets. Under a Javie at 36 steps and skipped one off a football turkey facing me at 32 steps

I was wondering about the average trad guy faced with a course like this, would you just laugh at yourself or would you be frustrated?

I know if it is too easy folks wouldn’t feel challenged and if it is too hard it makes it hard for them to go back.

What would most Trad guy consider a fun set up for 30 targets ?
I would guess something like
10 small targets at around 12 to 15 yards, 15 Deer hog size targets 18 to twenty and 5 bigger target 25 to 30.

What do y’all think ?
I have not had time to shoot 3-D for the last several years just wondering if everyone has improved to a 30 yard average while I was away
Buff is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2018, 12:04 PM   #2
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

The only targets we put out at 30 or farther is an elk and a buffalo. We get some grumbling if there are too many beyond 20 or so. If they were all 30 plus I would be writing down a lot
of zeros and fives on my card
jerp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2018, 12:06 PM   #3
KenWood
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano and Runnels county

I would go to the truck and get some older arrows.
KenWood is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2018, 03:08 PM   #4
Randy Madden
Ten Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

Marty, I’ve been to that shoot a couple of times. And they have always been long shots for us Trad guys.
One time I went there was a guy with a group of kids shooting Trad and they all ended up leaving. Not sure why they don’t have a designated stake for us.
But I still had fun when I did go.
If I had know you was going this morning I would have made it a point to be there.
Randy Madden is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2018, 03:09 PM   #5
Randy Madden
Ten Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

Also... I believe that’s why very few Trad guys go to this event.
Randy Madden is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2018, 03:33 PM   #6
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri

Cowtown had a good course set up. Kinda like you did it the last trad hunt we had at your place. Shoot over blow downs, between trees, under blow downs. Some uphill and down hill. I don't want a gimme course. I want to know what I can and can't do. The scoring rings are great but only to a point. Some 8s were just lethal wounds you wouldn't recover the animal on. Great for the tournament score though. I figure if you shoot for fun you can get as close as you're comfortable with anyhow.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2018, 06:09 PM   #7
Bisch
Pope & Young

Here's my take on it:

I'll shoot just about anything they want to set up. Even on real hard courses, I'll hit nearly all of them, and just be a bit frustrated when it's over.

But................ I have been asked on numerous occasions for my opinion on how things should be set for a trad tournament, and this is my standard answer:

At most any shoot, the better shooters are always going to be at the top, hashing it out for the awards. If the shoot is real hard, those guys scores are a little lower, and most will grumble a bit because they don't think they shot it as good as they could have.

If it is set super easy, those same top shooters will still be at the top hashing it out for the awards, and they will be posting scores that most folks think are astronomical!

I always tell the folks that ask, that if they are going to err, they should err on the easy side. If a shoot is really difficult (which I believe big shoots like State and World Championships should be), guys who are not as skilled, or new shooters will go out, lose or break $50 worth of arrows, and not want to come back.

If a course is set a bit easier, those folks can have a good time and hit most of the targets, and want to come back for the next shoot.

Obviously, the perfect course would be a good mix of some really easy targets, a few really tough ones, and most in the middle somewhere.

At least that's how I see it.

Bisch
Bisch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2018, 08:13 AM   #8
Buff
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisch View Post
Here's my take on it:

I'll shoot just about anything they want to set up. Even on real hard courses, I'll hit nearly all of them, and just be a bit frustrated when it's over.

But................ I have been asked on numerous occasions for my opinion on how things should be set for a trad tournament, and this is my standard answer:

At most any shoot, the better shooters are always going to be at the top, hashing it out for the awards. If the shoot is real hard, those guys scores are a little lower, and most will grumble a bit because they don't think they shot it as good as they could have.

If it is set super easy, those same top shooters will still be at the top hashing it out for the awards, and they will be posting scores that most folks think are astronomical!

I always tell the folks that ask, that if they are going to err, they should err on the easy side. If a shoot is really difficult (which I believe big shoots like State and World Championships should be), guys who are not as skilled, or new shooters will go out, lose or break $50 worth of arrows, and not want to come back.

If a course is set a bit easier, those folks can have a good time and hit most of the targets, and want to come back for the next shoot.

Obviously, the perfect course would be a good mix of some really easy targets, a few really tough ones, and most in the middle somewhere.

Bisch
That was pretty much my thoughts.
Most of the Trad guys I know would have really struggled to complete the course and not wanted to go through that again.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:28 AM   #9
DRT
Pope & Young

What were the toughest shots one the course like?

Old 02-26-2018, 08:42 AM   #10
Caddo
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lampassas County

I like the mixture of easy and hard. The easy ones reaffirm my capabilities in my 6-18 yd hunting range and the harder. longer shots give me the incentive to improve. To me, 3D is just a game, fun to play and mostly fun to meet and shoot with other Trad folks. I'll probably never, ever be good enough to buckle, but then again, I'm not sure that I care. Most times I never turn in a score card, good or bad. Just my 2 cents.

LD
Caddo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2018, 09:19 AM   #11
RickBarbee
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where I am

Back (around 1984/85) when I first got into outdoor (bowhunter style) archery competition, there were very few 3D matches across the country (maybe none. not sure), and for sure none anywhere near my area. There were a couple of clubs who had some homemade 3D targets, but they pretty much held them in reserve for special/novelty shots.

We shot a mix of paper animal, and paper circle face targets pinned to paper bales, and/or dirt banks.

We also had a full 28 target NFAA field target range. I spent a lot of time on that range, and learned a lot about my shooting in doing so.

For the primary club events/shoots it was 60 targets at unknown distances.

There were only four shooter stakes.
Men, Women, Youth, and Cub.
All shot from their designated stake regardless of equipment, and the shots ranged from short to all the way out to 60 yards (sometimes further), but you get the point.

Even when 3D became the rage, most of it was done the same as with the paper targets up until the time the IBO came on the scene. When IBO came to the area things changed. Things changed a lot.

Me, I have fun either/any way. Kinda miss the old days though.

Rick
RickBarbee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2018, 09:28 AM   #12
Buff
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBarbee View Post
Back (around 1984/85) when I first got into outdoor (bowhunter style) archery competition, there were very few 3D matches across the country (maybe none. not sure), and for sure none anywhere near my area. There were a couple of clubs who had some homemade 3D targets, but they pretty much held them in reserve for special/novelty shots.

We shot a mix of paper animal, and paper circle face targets pinned to paper bales, and/or dirt banks.

We also had a full 28 target NFAA field target range. I spent a lot of time on that range, and learned a lot about my shooting in doing so.

For the primary club events/shoots it was 60 targets at unknown distances.

There were only four shooter stakes.
Men, Women, Youth, and Cub.
All shot from their designated stake regardless of equipment, and the shots ranged from short to all the way out to 60 yards (sometimes further), but you get the point.

Even when 3D became the rage, most of it was done the same as with the paper targets up until the time the IBO came on the scene. When IBO came to the area things changed. Things changed a lot.

Me, I have fun either/any way. Kinda miss the old days though.

Rick

About 10 years ago I worked for a couple of months in Farmington NM.
They had a Tuesday afternoon 3-D shoot every week.
Max distance was 80 yards. Most shoots a 30 yard turkey was the closest target.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:52 AM   #13
RickBarbee
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
About 10 years ago I worked for a couple of months in Farmington NM.
They had a Tuesday afternoon 3-D shoot every week.
Max distance was 80 yards. Most shoots a 30 yard turkey was the closest target.
The Permian Basin Bowhunters Assn used to set shoots like that.

I can remember going to a number of shoots there & elsewhere where I was thinking to myself - "Do I have enough arrows?"

Rick
Old 02-26-2018, 10:06 AM   #14
Hunter Todd
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fannin co. /Boswell, Ok.

Quote:
Here's my take on it:

Bisch
This sums it up for me too. I like a few long shots, but want the majority between 12-20 yards.
Hunter Todd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2018, 11:33 AM   #15
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country & East Texas

Quote:
I made it to a local 3-D shoot today.
Beautiful place with nice targets.
I was the only Trad guy that made it.
Average shot was right at 30 yards with none under 20.

I enjoy a challenge and had a good time with it only missing 2 targets. Under a Javie at 36 steps and skipped one off a football turkey facing me at 32 steps

I was wondering about the average trad guy faced with a course like this, would you just laugh at yourself or would you be frustrated?
Been in similar situations just a couple times. The first time I lost a few arrows at the first few and because I'm not that stubborn, I just shot from wherever I wanted to and didn't keep score. After I got better to where I wouldn't loose as many arrows, I'd just shoot at the thing for fun.

I don't take 3D overly seriously. It should just to have fun. Even so, I do get frustrated on some shots that I know I should be able to make.

Quote:
I know if it is too easy folks wouldnít feel challenged and if it is too hard it makes it hard for them to go back.
Definitely agree on the later statement. If you make it too hard for those who feel like they are being judged, even when nobody is watching (they think that they have to make 20+ yard shots on turkeys be ready to hunt because that is where the stake is!) then it is a disservice to some folks. At the end of the day, that is what multiple stakes are for. As far as making it too easy... I'd like to see that course

Quote:
10 small targets at around 12 to 15 yards, 15 Deer hog size targets 18 to twenty and 5 bigger target 25 to 30.

What do yíall think ?
I think that is pretty spot on. I'd mix it up a little more than that. The most fun courses I have shot have had some of the Deer sized targets close at 12 and 15 yards, but setup to where it is difficult to get a feel for depth because of trees in the way, etc. I feel you can make a course challenging with 15 yard maximum distance shots by changing up the angles, obstructions, etc. To me, those are more fun that hail Mary's to an T-rex 30 yards in a field.

Quote:
I have not had time to shoot 3-D for the last several years just wondering if everyone has improved to a 30 yard average while I was away
I'd stop shooting 3D if the average was 30 yards. I hope that day never comes.
SwampRabbit is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2018, 11:50 AM   #16
RickBarbee
Pope & Young

I think TBoT has a good handle on what folks like to see at a 3D shoot.
Mostly between 10 to 25 yards with a few shorter, and a few closer to 30 yards, with a couple of long 40 - 50 yard shots thrown in.

IBO also seems to have a good handle on what folks like to see, and has reduced it's maximum range for a shot from 40 to 30 yards.

I'm with Bisch's analysis on how to best please the masses, and how things should be for a high level championship flagged competition.

I just like to get to shoot, and consider myself (especially now days) fortunate to get to do so.

Rick
Old 02-26-2018, 11:51 AM   #17
Grand Passage
Six Point

Hunt In: Hill Country & South TX

Quote:

Pretty much this^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Grand Passage is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2018, 11:57 AM   #18
nothinbutwelves
Ten Point

Default Doah

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post
What were the toughest shots one the course like?

Sounded to me a football turkey at 32steps wins that award,
nothinbutwelves is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2018, 12:14 PM   #19
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

I think swamprabbit makes a good point. To me it is not as much the distances that make a good 3d course, it is interesting/challenging shots that replicate hunting scenarios. (unlike ASA 3d targets which are often set in open lanes). I think it is more fun and better practice to have a hog target down in a hole, shots requiring you to shoot a deer target through a narrow gap between trees, a log covering part of the 8 ring, having to shoot up/down a severe incline, etc.
jerp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2018, 12:15 PM   #20
tradtiger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lee Co., Granger

Seems to me that the main purpose of 3D tournaments should be to provide a fun atmosphere for off-season practice that more-or-less simulates hunting situations. The competitive aspect creates a little bit of pressure to make good shots as you want to actually do in hunting. The scoring aspect should reflect how close you come to hitting the spots you aim for -- and those "kill zones" may not be exactly true to real animals, but you can still test your ability to hit where you're looking.

As far as the distance goes, plenty of challenge can be built in to shots between 12 and 25 yards using various trees or obstructions, and the competitive separation can come from risk versus reward shots that put the center of the kill zone close to the obstruction. The Cowtown club did a great job at their Winter Traditional/TBoT shoot this weekend of mixing up the shots within reasonable distances, plus added some fun targets like the flying pig, long-range buffalo and Iron Armadillo, along with a close-up low-hung treestand shot that seemed like it should be a gimme 12, but forces you to focus and stay down. All of this keeps it fun, and feeling like you have a decent chance to score is fun too. Sure, top guys will shoot top scores, but it's nice for the non-world champions to be able to hit a few 10s and 12s at realistic hunting ranges.

Last edited by tradtiger; 02-26-2018 at 12:22 PM.
tradtiger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2018, 01:35 PM   #21
RickBarbee
Pope & Young

I like both the practice for hunting aspect, and the competition aspect of 3D shoots.

If it isn't going to be billed as a competition, then why have awards, or even score keeping for that matter?

I'm good either way. I've been to shooting rendezvous of several types where we just showed up & shot for the fun of it. They're fun too.

Rick
Old 02-26-2018, 02:25 PM   #22
M.E.B.
Ten Point

Sometimes you can set up a course to be harder than you actually planned to.

I was in charge of setting up the trad stakes, which were also the women's compound stakes, at our local club shoots years ago.

It took a bit but I learned a few things. Just because you are shooting well above average not everyone is so cut them some slack.

Women are usually shorter than the average man. I set up some targets that they could not see.

Also not everyone is right handed.
M.E.B. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2018, 03:48 PM   #23
JEFFRO
Ten Point

Hunt In: can't say it's a secret

The wife and I have been to our share of shoots over the last 30 years.
the answer to your question is simple. look at the shoots that are still shooting with good numbers of shooters after 4 years.
for 30 targets, an average of 17 to 19 yards is really good.
most trad folks want to go shoot, hit the target, have fun, NOT BREAK OR LOOSE ARROWS
and enjoy the day with friends..some hard targets are great. some simple are great too,
the mix of golf course and deep woods...
just my 2 cents
JEFFRO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2018, 04:33 PM   #24
RickBarbee
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFRO View Post
The wife and I have been to our share of shoots over the last 30 years.
the answer to your question is simple. look at the shoots that are still shooting with good numbers of shooters after 4 years.
for 30 targets, an average of 17 to 19 yards is really good.
most trad folks want to go shoot, hit the target, have fun, NOT BREAK OR LOOSE ARROWS
and enjoy the day with friends..some hard targets are great. some simple are great too,
the mix of golf course and deep woods...
just my 2 cents
You are wise beyond your youth.

Rick
Old 02-26-2018, 08:35 PM   #25
Selfbowman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where ya'll take Me

Denton Hill Pa. is set like that. No competition so it's fun. I think they are cheap and don't want to wear out the targets. lol Arvin
Selfbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2018, 08:52 PM   #26
tradtiger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lee Co., Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBarbee View Post
I like both the practice for hunting aspect, and the competition aspect of 3D shoots.

If it isn't going to be billed as a competition, then why have awards, or even score keeping for that matter?

I'm good either way. I've been to shooting rendezvous of several types where we just showed up & shot for the fun of it. They're fun too.

Rick
Not saying anything against the competition aspect at all. Feel fully capable of competing; and fun to try and compete against these top shots. Happy to shoot a personal best Saturday and another Sunday with equipment I've been using less than a week and six months, respectively. Nowhere near the overall top, but they should be worried.
tradtiger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2018, 08:56 PM   #27
DRT
Pope & Young

I enjoyed it and they don't need to be worried.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:02 PM   #28
RickBarbee
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradtiger View Post
Not saying anything against the competition aspect at all. Feel fully capable of competing; and fun to try and compete against these top shots. Happy to shoot a personal best Saturday and another Sunday with equipment I've been using less than a week and six months, respectively. Nowhere near the overall top, but they should be worried.
I didn't think you were Ellis.

I was just thinking, and typing out loud about what I like it about it, which is pretty much all of it.

Rick
Old 02-28-2018, 05:18 PM   #29
loco cacahuate
Ten Point

Hunt In: out my back door

My buddy Butch says:
on a 30 target course
5 targets under 15 yards
20 targets 15-25 yards
5 targets 25 yards on up
seems like a good rule of thumb
loco cacahuate is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2018, 05:33 PM   #30
DRT
Pope & Young

Sounds reasonable but if I got there and they were all 20 to 40 I'd still give it a go!
Old 02-28-2018, 06:16 PM   #31
stingerslinger
Four Point

I personally like some short, 18 yds and under, some mid range ,20 to 30 yds, couple or so longish ,30 to 40 yds . Throw in a couple moving targets and some trash on the shorter distances.
stingerslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2018, 09:01 AM   #32
Jon Stewart
Four Point

I have my own 25 target 3 D range at home in Michigan. One target, 3 D Moose, is set at 100 yards and a 3 D Buffalo, is set at 50 yards, FOR FUN, the rest of the targets are set at hunting distances, 10 to 20 yards max.

One thing about shooting non competitive shoots is you can move closer to the target and make it your shot. We do that with the grand kids. We walk them up and they shoot mush closer. I have been at this for 60 years and my competitive days are long gone.

Last edited by Jon Stewart; 03-02-2018 at 09:05 AM.
Jon Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2018, 05:44 AM   #33
caughtandhobble
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

When our local club has two shoots in a weekend, we will shoot from trad stakes the first day. On the second day we will shoot from compound stakes just for fun, they're longer but it is fun.

I always look at a shoot as everyone is shooting from the same stakes. The longer 3D shoots scores usually are the same people up top. Like Jeffro said the returning crowd may be lacking, nobody likes to loose arrows, lol.
caughtandhobble is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2018, 09:59 AM   #34
ghostgoblin22
Ten Point

Hunt In: east texas

I love distances from 10-30 yards on the range, really helps you in the long run, super fun too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ghostgoblin22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-10-2018, 08:09 AM   #35
muddydog
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tom Green Co.

I haven't shot 3d in awhile, but when I did it was for hunting practice only. I liked most targets around my effective range. About 20 steps or so. It's also fun to test your limits on a few long shots. I remember a Caribou target I 10 ringed at 85 yds on a " for fun shot". But I would say keep most stick bow shots close with about 5 targets at longer ranges to keep it competitive for the top shooters.
muddydog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2018, 10:36 PM   #36
Maddog20/20
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampRabbit View Post
Been in similar situations just a couple times. The first time I lost a few arrows at the first few and because I'm not that stubborn, I just shot from wherever I wanted to and didn't keep score. After I got better to where I wouldn't loose as many arrows, I'd just shoot at the thing for fun.

I don't take 3D overly seriously. It should just to have fun. Even so, I do get frustrated on some shots that I know I should be able to make.

Definitely agree on the later statement. If you make it too hard for those who feel like they are being judged, even when nobody is watching (they think that they have to make 20+ yard shots on turkeys be ready to hunt because that is where the stake is!) then it is a disservice to some folks. At the end of the day, that is what multiple stakes are for. As far as making it too easy... I'd like to see that course

I think that is pretty spot on. I'd mix it up a little more than that. The most fun courses I have shot have had some of the Deer sized targets close at 12 and 15 yards, but setup to where it is difficult to get a feel for depth because of trees in the way, etc. I feel you can make a course challenging with 15 yard maximum distance shots by changing up the angles, obstructions, etc. To me, those are more fun that hail Mary's to an T-rex 30 yards in a field.

I'd stop shooting 3D if the average was 30 yards. I hope that day never comes.

When we set up our last 3D shoot, we did a lot of perspective challenge shots like you mention. Not long shots (most 20-30yd), but most had trees 10 yds in the background making judging distance harder or the target was framed by trees that were 5-10yds closer or downhill with the rising slope behind it..stuff like that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Maddog20/20 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 08:40 AM   #37
Bisch
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog20/20 View Post
When we set up our last 3D shoot, we did a lot of perspective challenge shots like you mention. Not long shots (most 20-30yd), but most had trees 10 yds in the background making judging distance harder or the target was framed by trees that were 5-10yds closer or downhill with the rising slope behind it..stuff like that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
An average shot of 20-30yds for trad shooters is waaaaaaaaaaaay long!

Bisch
Old 03-20-2018, 11:59 AM   #38
Maddog20/20
Spike

Quote:
An average shot of 20-30yds for trad shooters is waaaaaaaaaaaay long!

Bisch

30 is long, but isnít 20 kind of a norm? Our setup was between 15 and 30 (I think there was only 1 at 30, but it was a Bighorn Sheep, so it was sizable) with most being around 20.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:16 PM   #39
DRT
Pope & Young

Quote:
30 is long, but isnít 20 kind of a norm? Our setup was between 15 and 30 (I think there was only 1 at 30, but it was a Bighorn Sheep, so it was sizable) with most being around 20.
No. I would say really good trad shooters would take a 20 yard hunting shot. But if many are like me 12 to 15 is confidence range. Now do I practice further? Of course. I shoot out to 25 most days. But only a few arrows. However I would shoot a course set up the way you describe. I know I'm not challenging anyone for a buckle so I am shooting for fun and realistic hunting experience anyway.

Old 03-20-2018, 12:18 PM   #40
DRT
Pope & Young

Another thing to consider is a lot of guys shoot under 50lbs. Shooting 40 to 45lbs with hunting weight arrows allows for a lot of drop at 20 yards.

Old 03-20-2018, 12:43 PM   #41
Bisch
Pope & Young

Quote:

A course that averages 25yds would be considered long for most trad shooters, and there would be a lot of grumbling. That distance does not really hurt the better shooters, but others that are beginners, or just not that good will really struggle on a course like that. It takes a lot of time and effort to get good with no sights and zero letoff!!!

I would say most good trad courses average somewhere between 15-20yds. In there there is usually a few short shots, a few long shots, and even one or two rediculously long shots. The really long stuff (say 40yds and out) is almost always at an elk or buffalo. Trash is also an element of a good course. Donít cover up kill zones, but put ďstuffĒ in the line of sight that folks have to look at while they are aiming!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 03-20-2018, 01:01 PM   #42
Maddog20/20
Spike

Quote:
A course that averages 25yds would be considered long for most trad shooters, and there would be a lot of grumbling. That distance does not really hurt the better shooters, but others that are beginners, or just not that good will really struggle on a course like that. It takes a lot of time and effort to get good with no sights and zero letoff!!!

I would say most good trad courses average somewhere between 15-20yds. In there there is usually a few short shots, a few long shots, and even one or two rediculously long shots. The really long stuff (say 40yds and out) is almost always at an elk or buffalo. Trash is also an element of a good course. Donít cover up kill zones, but put ďstuffĒ in the line of sight that folks have to look at while they are aiming!

Bisch

Grumbling? It was an ASA tournament, so grumbling is kind of a given. I sat for 10 minutes waiting for two guys argue over whether it touched the line or broke it for 12...on a score that ended up being in the mid-200ís in the hunter class that would have put them around 100th place regardless.

When we were setting up, we had to be super careful making sure that all branches were trimmed and all grass was cut for a certain distance around the target...and the official STILL came in and changed some targets because they werenít ďbroadside enough.Ē

Iím with you on what makes a good course, though. I always want an element of actual shooting in the wild to be part of it. Animals donít just walk out to exactly 15yds perfectly broadside into a 6ft manicured and trimmed clearing with a nice soft backstop, so a good 3D course should reflect that a bit IMO
Old 03-20-2018, 01:06 PM   #43
Maddog20/20
Spike

Quote:
No. I would say really good trad shooters would take a 20 yard hunting shot. But if many are like me 12 to 15 is confidence range. Now do I practice further? Of course. I shoot out to 25 most days. But only a few arrows. However I would shoot a course set up the way you describe. I know I'm not challenging anyone for a buckle so I am shooting for fun and realistic hunting experience anyway.

Maybe I donít shoot with enough trad shooters (no, I definitely donít which is why I had to learn everything from the internet...although a lot can be said for having Grizzly Jim, Jeff Kavanaugh and Jimmy Blackmon as my coaches) and that sort of warped my expectations.

I routinely warm up at 20yds and then walk 15-25yds as my ďcourseĒ at home and I transitioned from compound where I practiced at 70yds (in prep for 30yd hunting shots), so to me, 20 almost seems close.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:35 PM   #44
Bisch
Pope & Young

Quote:
Grumbling? It was an ASA tournament, so grumbling is kind of a given. I sat for 10 minutes waiting for two guys argue over whether it touched the line or broke it for 12...on a score that ended up being in the mid-200ís in the hunter class that would have put them around 100th place regardless.

When we were setting up, we had to be super careful making sure that all branches were trimmed and all grass was cut for a certain distance around the target...and the official STILL came in and changed some targets because they werenít ďbroadside enough.Ē

Iím with you on what makes a good course, though. I always want an element of actual shooting in the wild to be part of it. Animals donít just walk out to exactly 15yds perfectly broadside into a 6ft manicured and trimmed clearing with a nice soft backstop, so a good 3D course should reflect that a bit IMO

Last time I shot an ASA shoot, they had a 25yd max for the trad class. ASA does not have a large trad following for several reasons, the biggest being that they only have one trad class, instead of breaking it up into longbow, recurve, selfbow, etc.

You do know that this thread was started in the Traditional Forum by a trad shooter, asking about how a trad course should be set up, correct?

Bisch

Old 03-20-2018, 04:08 PM   #45
Rat
Ten Point

Back in the early days of the HCB we had this same debate one weekend. We had several good trad shooters but my dumb *** piped up and said it should be easy enough that a newbie could hit all the targets, have a little fun and maybe come back because if it.

Wildman handed me his recurve and a quiver of arrows and said, "You shoot, and wherever you hit the target from that's where we'll put the cone."

I am NOT a trad shooter...

About 4 targets in we changed the rule from "hit" the target to "reasonably close" to the target; you know, to keep from breaking all his arrows.

I shot the whole course and we set each cone accordingly; I don't think there was a cone over 15 yards on that course that weekend.

He never asked to be repaid for all the arrows I lost or broke, I think the laughing covered everything that might have been owed.

That trad stuff is hard.
Rat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 05:06 PM   #46
Maddog20/20
Spike

Quote:
Last time I shot an ASA shoot, they had a 25yd max for the trad class. ASA does not have a large trad following for several reasons, the biggest being that they only have one trad class, instead of breaking it up into longbow, recurve, selfbow, etc.

You do know that this thread was started in the Traditional Forum by a trad shooter, asking about how a trad course should be set up, correct?

Bisch

Sure, Iím a trad shooter so thatís why I commented. My only regret is that I didnít start earlier...but my Ausable seems to forgive my tardiness.

ASA still only has one class of trad, but it was my first 3D shoot so itís my only context. I was fortunate to be able to help set it up. Iím really looking forward to TBOT and the like so I can learn from you guys.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:14 PM   #47
Bisch
Pope & Young

Maddog, where are you located?

Bisch

Old 03-20-2018, 05:33 PM   #48
DRT
Pope & Young

I drank a lot of that in my younger years. Awful hang overs.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:10 PM   #49
Maddog20/20
Spike

Quote:
Maddog, where are you located?

Bisch

Fredericksburg, Godís Country!
Old 03-20-2018, 06:11 PM   #50
Maddog20/20
Spike

Quote:
I drank a lot of that in my younger years. Awful hang overs.

Lol...I was more of a Booneís Farm guy in my youth. I was given that nickname in college and since Iím an eye doctor, it just made a great handle to add the 20/20!