6.8 vs 6.5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.8 vs 6.5

So i have shot a 6.8 spc and LOVED IT... inside 400 pull the trigger and piggy lays down dead. That said... a little research and 6.5 grendel really seems to have the advantage everywhere. SD's are better, bullet choices better, bcs on those bullets better. So i might start xmas shoping for one or the other...
    knock down power any different?
    And what about mags? Not sure what i can run out of my AR pmags?
    what says the green screen comparing the two?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

You can't use your pmags with 6.5 Grendel. The best mags for Grendel are E-Landers and they are reasonably priced. Not sure on "knockdown". They're both great rounds though. I prefer 6.5 because I do a lot of long distance target shooting and it can hit 1000yd steel in a pinch

Comment

Originally posted by ahlongslide View Post
      You can't use your pmags with 6.5 Grendel. The best mags for Grendel are E-Landers and they are reasonably priced. Not sure on "knockdown". They're both great rounds though. I prefer 6.5 because I do a lot of long distance target shooting and it can hit 1000yd steel in a pinch
      My pmags work for my grendel.

Comment

Let me clarify... will 556 mags feed into a grendel? Or am i buying new mags for it

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
          Interesting. Are they 556 pmags or 7.62x39 pmags?

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
            Mine too

Comment

My understanding is 6.8 and Grendel are neck and neck to 300, after that the Grendel takes over. I have a 6.8 and love it, blew a piglet up with a sst

Comment

No info here but I have been trying to make this decision myself. Looking forward to reading everyone's insight.

Comment

Originally posted by kd350 View Post
                  My understanding is 6.8 and Grendel are neck and neck to 300, after that the Grendel takes over. I have a 6.8 and love it, blew a piglet up with a sst
                  Yeah... thats the vibe im getting. And i really dont shoot critters past 300-400... lets be honest you get more if you let them get closer haha

Comment

Originally posted by catslayer View Post
                    Yeah... thats the vibe im getting. And i really dont shoot critters past 300-400... lets be honest you get more if you let them get closer haha

I also use pri mags, pricey but haven't had any issues with it.

Sst is good cheap ammo that works well if your gun shoots it good. The piglet I talked about it blew out the bottom of his chest and there was blood/stuff everywhere at impact. Seems to be the number one bullet is wilson combats 95 gr ttsx, accubond is another popular one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Following. I love my 6.8 and have honestly, past about 250 I'm choosing something more than either of these.

Ringing steal is different and I'm sure the 6.5 shines at long range

Comment

Whats recoil like on both? My son is 7 and weighs like 50#. Wanting an ar because of adj stock, but would prefer something with a little more umph in case of poor shot, but not too much recoil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by sambo73 View Post
                          Whats recoil like on both? My son is 7 and weighs like 50#. Wanting an ar because of adj stock, but would prefer something with a little more umph in case of poor shot, but not too much recoil.

To me it's not bad. more than 223 but not terrible, good muzzle brake should take away what recoil there is. Just get him good ear plugs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Neither has noticeable recoil

Comment

So... this is off my own topic but oh well its my personal soapbox

For recoil issues, its 99.9% the noise that scares kids... BUY THE ELECTRIC EAR MUFFS. Worth there weight in gold. Heck I DONT shoot without them anymore and i have acess to supressors lol

I can walk up to your boy and after i get to know him punch his shoulder as hard as a 270 or bigger will playing around And he will laugh and punch me back... but if i sneak up on him, yell and punch he gets scared. Its the noise not the push

As far as rifle for kid the AR is THE way to go imho. Adjustable stock for better sight picture and propper recoil impulse, the action eats some of the recoil, they are often heavier in general( especially with full mag) cool factor never hurts, also dad shoots it too... that means somthing to some kids.
                              That said, last kid i started deer hunting we started on a laminate stock 270, medium contour barel. Not heavy at ALL... kid weighed 68 lbs and was a STRING BEAN. He now shoots with less recoil flinch than me lol

The 6.8 i shot didnt kick any more than my AR... maybe less cause it was heavier, but it was louder.

Comment

Working...
                              X