Yellowstone / Jackson Hole help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going to take a family vacation there this summer. Wont be able to go until second week of July. Plan on staying for approx. 7 days. The questions I have are: Is that an OK time to go? Is 7 days enough time to stay or too long etc.? What are some must sees while there? Any other help would be great. Thanks

I love Jackson Hole...

Went there several years ago with my wife and daughter. Son couldn't make it. We went the first part of June and it snowed 14 inches in Yellowstone and they closed part of the park. We took a rafting trip down the Snake River. That was a blast, but the water was colder than the air temperature. We drove around Grand Teton National Park as well. I wanna go back!

Comment

Great time to go. We stayed a week in Jackson and loved it. Wish we would have stayed a night in northern Yellowstone. Tough to do north half as a day trip from Jackson. Eat at pinky gs pizza and local.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Great time to go. If you can be there on the 4th Jackson puts on a great fireworks show, worth seeing. Should be plenty of time. Go to Cody see the Buffalo Bill Cody museum.

Comment

We didn't feel 7 days was long enough. Lot of driving to get from one side to the other. Plus traffic.

Comment

Take a the drive down to Cora/Green river lakes/Pinedale one day. I used to stay out there for work quite a bit. Stop for a sandwich and a beer at the Wind River Brewery in Pinedale. That's a great spot.

Comment

We were there July 2015. Personally, I could spend 10 days in Yellowstone alone and feel like there was still more to see. It's an amazing place. Take your time and stop at all of the little overlooks and outcrops you pass. We saw tons of elk, muleys, bighorn, bison, eagles, and tons of those little shrews running all over the roads. Only saw one bear and didn't see any moose on our trip. Heard some wolves but didn't see any unfortunately.

Drive up to the North entrance at Gardiner, MT and check out that little town. Really neat place! Definitely check out the Yellowstone Gallery and Frameworks there front street in Gardiner. Some AMAZING photos people have taken of animals and scenery in Yellowstone.

When driving up from Jackson through the elk reserve into Grand Teton and into Yellowstone before daylight/after dark DEFINITELY PAY ATTENTION to the speed limit signs. They are not joking when they say "Elk Crossing". It is 25-30MPH for a reason up there. Dusk/Dawn the elk come down and are ALL OVER the roads.

We fly fished the Snake river with a guy named Nate Bennett who runs Teton Fly Fishing while we were there and had a blast. He is a great guy and taught this coastal raised, saltwater boy a lot about fly fishing in a very short amount of time.

Enjoy your trip!! I cant wait to go back!

Comment

We are going for 3 days this July.

Actually doing Griswold Part 2 this summer from Austin to Carlsbad to Grand Canyon to Yosemite to Craters of the Moon to Yellowstone to Grand Junction and finish at Palo Duro .

Have you booked any rooms yet? We did ours last summer for Yellowstone and barely got 3 rooms for 2 nights.

Better call today!!! Good luck

Comment

Honestly, not a great time to go. I have kids and know the drill, but it is CROWDED in July. If it's the only time you can go , then it's worth it, otherwise go later. I would also recommend Glacier, by far my favorite.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

2 weeks wouldn't be enough but you will still have a wonderful time. My family and I went to Yellowstone/Jackson hole for 8 nights. We kayaked the Yellowstone river, wade fished the Madison and Firehole Rivers and float-fished the Snake river. Camped at Gros Ventre and Madison Camp ground for a few nights before Mom came up and we stayed at The Lodge at Jackson Hole. So much great exploring to do and sights to see. You can drive for hours and have your breath taken at every turn. There should be a good number of people up there but don't let that hold you back from enjoying a good time.

Comment

We went the first week of June last year. We spent 5 days in Yellowstone and 3 days in Grand Teton. Still didn't see nearly enough of either. We put 2800 miles on my truck in 11 days and had a blast. My daughter and I are already trying to talk the wife into going back soon...
                      If you want to see moose go to Grand Teton and drive Moose Wilson Road between Moose and Jackson. We saw moose every time we drove that stretch.

Comment

Depending on age of children, they all should experience walking around Yellowstone to see the water and animals. Use as much of your vacation time as you can there.

Comment

That's a good time to go because there is a lot going on then. We go the last 2 weeks of July, but we stay close to our place and mostly fish. Wife and daughters shop a lot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Will have plenty to do in 7 days but you would need a solid month to do everything in the Tetons and Yellow stone. Probably longer then that.

July-August is peak season and you will be blown away with the traffic throughout the area and in the park.

Don't underestimate how far of a drive it is from Jacksonhole to the south entrance of the park (1.5hrs) and then there's very few roads through the whole park. For instance from Jackson to the north side of the park to me roughly 4 hours....

Teton:

In the Tetons do the Cascade Canyon hike! You go to the lake Jenny marina and either hike around the lake or take the ferry across (that'll save you 2-2.5 hours on the hike). You'll hike up to inspiration point but don't stop! (Most do stop) you've already done the hardest part. The next 3-4 miles are flat/gradual increase all the way too the trail fork. It's the most beautiful hike I've ever done. You could continue to solitude lake (it's a National Geographic top 20 hike in the entire continent I believe) but from the fork to the lake is suppose to be a harder hike. I wish I could confirm that but we didn't have the time to do it.

The tagerrt lake trail has a great view of the lake and is a easier trail that takes 1-5-2 hours to do.

Yellowstone:

Old faithful of course

Pick another peak to hike if you want. We did avalanche peak and I died lol the grade was insane the entire way.

The hot springs at the north entrance are neat along with the famous arch in Gardner.

For animals either Lamar valley or Hayden valley (I'll check the spelling on those) especially for a chance to see wolves but you'll see buffalo throughout the park along with elk.

The falls around Canyon Point village in the park are awesome too.

(I'll update some more when I get to a computer and post some over saturated snapseed photos lol)
                            Last edited by 150class; 01-31-2017, 02:34 PM.

Comment

clickety click

Comment

Working...
                              X