Who has a backup bow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who has a backup bow?

I've read a lot about people taking two bows on hunting trips out of town (one as a backup). I'm heading to Canada here in a month on a WT hunt and I've had a few people ask me if I'm taking a backup bow and it got me thinking.

How many of you have a backup bow?

If you do, is it the same/similar to your primary bow?

Do you shoot the same poundage?

Do you have all of the same brands/models of sights, rests, etc?

Do you shoot the same arrows/broadheads?

I have a backup bow. Main bows at 84 lbs and back ups at 74. Both Bowtechs with identical accessories but different models. Same arrows and broad heads.

Comment

I all ways take a backup bow. when you are a long way from a bow shop
      a broken bow can ruin a hunt . ON two different times a guy in camp broke his bow
      and I let them use my backup. made some good friends like that.

Comment

I use to especially when I was shooting competitive, the main reason for doing it there was in case one got lost (me and a buddy would swap back up bows for travel so if one of our cases got lost we would have something) but I'm to picky about how my bows feel to do that for hunting to. I carry extra parts and a mobile press and I can fix anything in the field except a blown up bow. I've built and tuned bows at hunting camp

Comment

I do. It's backup on a shelf somewhere

Yes, my main shooter is an Elite Synergy, the other is an Elite E35. Both have the same rest, but different sights. That may change after this season. (I'm trying out the single pin to see if I like it) Both set at 58#, both use the same arrows.

Comment

How often do things happen with a bow where it can't be repaired in the field? I have a Halon, and take good care of it, but I don't want to be out in the sticks if/when something happens. It would be an unfortunate way to kill a great trip.

Comment

Who has a backup bow?

I almost bought one last year. I had a dead limb pop up between hunting weekends (worked a 10/4 schedule at the time) and was unsure if they were going to be able to get a new limb in before the next hunt. The bow shop had some kind of hoyt( wanna say carbon knight or something for a decent price) i was on my way to buy it so i could hunt when they called me to tell me that matthews had overnighted one and it was ready to roll. I was glad they got me back going but kinda sad i didnt get a second bow. Shoulda just bought it since i already had an excuse with the "boss" to get it. Last weekend, daylight broke and i noticed i had a string starting to overlap on the cam and sure wish i had a backup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have one. Same poundage. Not the same brand or accessories. Luckily I've never had to use it but it goes with me on out of town trips. I'd rather have and never need it then to not have it and my primary bow malfunction.

Comment

I carry a backup bow in the off chance my peep comes out or something as major as cutting a string. I prepare all year for hunting season and I'm not going to miss the relatively rare chances to hunt.

I shoot 64# on my every day bow and 71# on my backup. Same exact accessories but different arrows for different conditions. They shoot same speeds and the pin gap is virtually identical. Small diameter Black Eagles for the every day bow and FMJs for the backup. I practice about 20% of my time with the backup bow. I try to make one kill per year with the backup just to stay honed.

Comment

Always have my backup bow in the truck. Same poundage, same arrows, different brand (it is my previous primary bow). I still take it out half the time. Practice with both often.

Comment

I always take a backup bow on my trips. I usually shoot hoyts and I'll have a new one and one that's 1-2 years old as a back. They are setup as close as you can get. This year I have alternated between my hoyt and a Mathews Halon but I always have two bows. You never know! I have needed the backup on 2 occasions. I usually pack two bows in my skb double bow case and pack clothes between. If not taking a backup bow you better carry a portable bow press, strings and cables that have been shot, and extra parts. Plus the knowledge on how to do basic bow maintenance.

Comment

I am 5 hours from my lease. I always take an extra bow. I usually haul 3 or 4 rifles during gun season as well. You may miss an opportunity due to equipment malfunction, but you aren't out of the game with spares available. My spare bow is a 2012 model with easy adjustments for draw. I have a 31'' draw, but I can dial this one down to 26'' for anyone that needs it. On a Texas trip we just haul my bow as the community spare.

Comment

To the lease no ,but if I'm going "out of town" then yes.Everything is different from my primary.DL and poundage are the same.Use the same arrows.

DJ

Comment

I have a backup bow. Both the same frame and rest but with different sights but both single pin.

Comment

I try to have my primary and backup as similar as possible.

Budget is usually the deciding factor on level of similarity, unless I have them setup for different scenarios (heavy/fat vs. light/skinny arrows for example for hunting/3D).

If they are identical, you may be able to swap just parts of a piece of equipment if necessary. Also, you don’t want to be messing with a single pin sight for the shot of a lifetime when you have been using a fixed pin up until that point.

If going on an expensive out of state/country hunt/competition, you don’t want your bow to be turned into an expensive paperweight because of a busted sight rail, rest, or broken string.

Comment

Working...
                              X