Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-15-2017, 10:27 PM   #1
Johnny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montgomery & Madison Counties
Default 2017-2018 East Texas Hunting Thread

I'm a little late but time to get this East Texas campfire stirred up. From what I'm personally seeing and what I'm hearing from others, the deer are healthy and the bone has been growing at a record pace!

This will be a place for us East Texas hunters to chime in on what y'all are seeing, share trail cam pics, give tips and really just a place to shoot the bull.

Here we go and good luck this upcoming season! Let's make it one to remember.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2017, 10:35 PM   #2
NewBallCoach
Four Point

I'm in. Hunt just outside of Palestine in Anderson County about 30 acres. Not alot of deer pics this summer, mostly pigs. Have 5 different doe, a 6, and 2 8's (one is on the list, I think he's 5.5). Past couple years I've had more show up around mid October. Lookig forward to the upcoming season.

Good luck to everyone.
NewBallCoach is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2017, 10:48 PM   #3
d_e_smith
Pope & Young

Hunt In: ETX

I'll be holding down the fort in SE Nacanowhere. Hoping for a lovely season of big bucks and a mysterious swine disappearance.
d_e_smith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2017, 10:55 PM   #4
HoustonHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Houston/Angelina/Trinity Counties

We just finished our camera survey and numbers look good, probably better than last year.

We've been hammering the 8's (except for the 10 I got away with) and it's showing in our herd. Lots of 9+ in the gene pool.

Deer at cameras wasn't what I expected but with everything as green as it is (and all puddles full of water), corn is an afterthought.

Should be another great year for the herds and the antler development but I anticipate having similar issues as the last few years around feeders.

Time to get creative (again).
HoustonHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2017, 11:10 PM   #5
jbhunting39
Six Point

In. What's up fellas. Panola County. 215 Acres. New lease for us. Does not appear to have been hunted for awhile. Roads r grown up. No evidence of previous dwellers. Not gonna disturb it too much this year, maybe a feeder or 2, ground blind, 2 ladder stands. Just sneak in and hunt it to see what's cruising the creek bottoms. I feel a record breaker coming this year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jbhunting39 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 12:05 AM   #6
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX

I saw a good deer a little bit ago at work. Was turning around at a gate and my lights hit this big boy. The pic is blurry and doesn't do him justice, he was a really good deer. I've been seeing a few nice ones already.

CRM_95 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 12:46 AM   #7
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas Pineywoods, Austin County

Had to take a break financially this year from leasing, but I'll hit up Big Sam a little, as well as traveling to the family farm in Austin Co when there aren't visitors using it. So I'm gonna be living vicariously through all of you fellas! I pray that it's a year to remember...the conditions sure do favor it being a good one
TxDispatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 02:29 AM   #8
Cajun shooter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oakwood

I'm in. Can't wait to read all the reports. I'm just starting on my fall food plots over in Leon county near Oakwood.

Are y'all seeing much in the way of acorns? I have one tree over my camp that's pretty thick in acorns but out in the field I'm not seeing much. I don't know if I just can't see them or if they aren't there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Cajun shooter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 05:16 AM   #9
Rockin' G Ranch
Eight Point

Hunt In: East Texas

I'm in. Sprayed fields yesterday in preparation for my fall good plots. Ready for some cool weather!
Put up feeder pens this summer to keep the hogs at bay. Hopefully they'll leave since they can't get to the corn anymore.
Rockin' G Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 06:51 AM   #10
Pineywoods
Ten Point

Hunt In: Elkhart, Splendora, Laneville & Throckmorton

I am still hunting in Houston County between Grapeland and Elkhart. We are ate up with pigs worse than ever this year. We really haven't had many the last two seasons. I was late getting cameras out this year so I'm excited to check them for the second time next weekend. So far, the pic below maybe my target this season. He was a very nice 8 last year. He is 5 year old 9 this year. Hopefully the 6 year old super tall 10 survived last season and shows up soon on camera. If so, he will be my target...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Pineywoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 06:54 AM   #11
DesertDug
Ten Point

Hunt In: far out west texas & SHNF & Lovelady

Just read the last page of the 2016-17 thread. Glad to see we have the new one for this year.

74 ac in Pennington. New lease member txassisan (TBH) and I only. Looking forward to it. Done a lot of work on the camp house this past summer..
DesertDug is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 07:16 AM   #12
Cajun shooter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oakwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineywoods View Post
I am still hunting in Houston County between Grapeland and Elkhart. We are ate up with pigs worse than ever this year. We really haven't had many the last two seasons. I was late getting cameras out this year so I'm excited to check them for the second time next weekend. So far, the pic below maybe my target this season. He was a very nice 8 last year. He is 5 year old 9 this year. Hopefully the 6 year old super tall 10 survived last season and shows up soon on camera. If so, he will be my target...

We're almost neighbors, good luck!

Cajun shooter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 07:27 AM   #13
MnM
Four Point

I'm just north of Palestine. Only have pics of does and hogs. Been feeding protein/corn all summer. Hoping for better pics.
MnM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 08:18 AM   #14
bollomb
Eight Point

Hunt In: Trinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDug View Post
Just read the last page of the 2016-17 thread. Glad to see we have the new one for this year.

74 ac in Pennington. New lease member txassisan (TBH) and I only. Looking forward to it. Done a lot of work on the camp house this past summer..
There are some good woods around Pennington. Maybe Im partial as I hunt pretty close to there ha
bollomb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 08:20 AM   #15
Tshelly
Ten Point

Hunt In: Walker, Montgomery, Trinity, & Lee
Default 2017-2018 East Texas Hunting Thread

I'm in. Fawn crop looks real nice, lots of acorns and such a good summer with rain and mild temps. 5 years since the drought, there's going to be some studs show up and the cupboards are full of up and comers. Going to be a fun year regardless of all the acorns that are about to rain down lol

Tshelly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 08:23 AM   #16
texas shag
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cayuga, Childress, the Mountains

I am in. I need to get to my small family farm outside Cayuga (Anderson county) and get things rolling. Plan to do that in the next few weeks. My wife and I welcomed a baby this year and my time at the farm has been severely reduced. I haven't run cameras yet and don't have any corn in feeders. Can't wait to see what we have this year....
texas shag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 08:31 AM   #17
cva34
Six Point

Hunt In: Vienna ,Tx
Default East Tx

Love East Texas hunted near Douglass 20+years ..the Drive through Houston to get there finally made me get off...not the miles the crazies..Best of Luck to you guys...
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 09:10 AM   #18
Huggybear
Ten Point

Already have pictures of 1 in the 150-s and 1 in the 160s! It's going to be an amazing year for east Texas.
Huggybear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 09:21 AM   #19
Hix
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas- Gregg Co. & Marion Co.

In

Hix is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 10:34 AM   #20
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where the thieves and poachers roam

I'm in! Been in the middle of selling a house this summer so I am behind the game but ready to get some cameras out and see what is around this year.
AgHntr10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 10:41 AM   #21
Tshelly
Ten Point

Hunt In: Walker, Montgomery, Trinity, & Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgHntr10 View Post
I'm in! Been in the middle of selling a house this summer so I am behind the game but ready to get some cameras out and see what is around this year.

I'm your home inspector when you buy a new one! Just finished up the schooling and started my own company Southern Quality Home Inspections.

Tshelly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 10:52 AM   #22
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where the thieves and poachers roam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tshelly View Post
I'm your home inspector when you buy a new one! Just finished up the schooling and started my own company Southern Quality Home Inspections.

I will keep you in mind, we are working on a piece of land to build on right now though. My future sis in law just started as a real estate agent in the Conroe area maybe she can send some business your way. Shoot me your info and I will pass it along
AgHntr10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 10:55 AM   #23
jjaimes
Ten Point

I got my Flash Light Ready!
jjaimes is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 11:05 AM   #24
sambo73
Pope & Young

Hunt In: van zandt and coleman counties

I am in Van Zandt County. Hunt about 100ac. We see a few deer. Really hoping to see hogs this year. Going to move a couple stands this weekend and put feeders up. Would love to find another lease close with a lot of hogs. hope to run some cameras this year too.
sambo73 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 01:30 PM   #25
U.S.ArmyRetired
Ten Point

Family land in Harrison County North of Waskom. 40 acres surrounded by paper company leases and outlaws. I'm lucky to see deer. Trying something different this year. Put 2 corn feeders on the property in JAN. Been running them all year long. Just letting it grow up this year except mowing the fence row and a couple of right-of-ways so we can get around better. Have a 15' ladder stand in a small opening I mowed out in June and a box sitting on a pipeline for rifle hunting. Live in Killeen so I only make it up there 5-10 times during hunting season.
U.S.ArmyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 03:15 PM   #26
Pineywoods Paul
Eight Point

Hunt In: Polk County, TX

Checking in from northwest Polk County west of Corrigan. We are in our 36th season on the same ground. Wet Spring & Summer has us concerned about another bumper acorn crop-potentially hindering effectiveness of baited corn and food plots. Also like others have mentioned, after seeing fewer hogs last season our population has exploded again.

Just looking forward to being perched in my bow stand or with my rifle in my "Pulpit in the Pines".
Pineywoods Paul is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 03:28 PM   #27
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Im still in Houston Trinity and Leon Cos. we passed a BUNCH of 6 year olds last year.. Not getting a lot of pics right now over corn but i have seen them.. Holy moly what it year this is shaping up to be. Passing those deer sure turned out to be the right thing.

Edit....i just cant bring myself to post pics.i sure got Burned a couple times.
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 03:28 PM   #28
JayB
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cass County

Cass County for us. Our 200 acres is starting to show more deer on camera. Had some good bucks on camera last year, at night. I did not hear of any neighbors taking great ones, so I believe they survived. Acorns just mean it is easier to find trees to hunt . Looking to a good year. have not killed a deer in a couple years.
JayB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 03:36 PM   #29
bollomb
Eight Point

Hunt In: Trinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarGuy View Post
Im still in Houston Trinity and Leon Cos. we passed a BUNCH of 6 year olds last year.. Not getting a lot of pics right now over corn but i have seen them.. Holy moly what it year this is shaping up to be. Passing those deer sure turned out to be the right thing.

Let the haters hate. I enjoy seeing your pics of those East Texas swamp donkeys. I am just ready for them to shed already so we can see what deer we will have hanging around for the season.
bollomb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 04:17 PM   #30
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Was out working on things this past weekend, and the weekend before... saw some beautiful bucks, but absolutely NONE are coming to feeders... all HOGS!! Last year we had a lot of deer hitting the feeders mainly I think because our hog numbers were WAY down due to all the flooding from the previous year+... The hogs are back with a vengeance! I knew it would be this way so not surprised... Had 3 sows and one lone boar hitting one spot last year... When those sows dominoed with their litters, those 4 hogs turned into 30!! That same thing happened all over our property!

Also, already see a lot of "akerns" too... gonna be a tough hunt this year in Liberty County! Gonna have to get out there and mix it up a bit. A bit early to try to establish a pattern or location for specific deer just yet. I had some good 'uns that we let walk last year... I'm in hopes they'll resume their similar patterns from the year before. Got me a sack full of new cameras and will start scatterin' 'em out soon as I see hard horned deer when I'm out riding around or when the ones behind my house start showing up hard horned...

I'm looking forward to hunting along with you guys this year again. Gonna be my second year since '76 to hunt deer in East Texas... Let's Git-er-dun!!
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 04:48 PM   #31
BW96
Eight Point

Hunt In: Public and wood county

Well, I hunt public and one small place in wood county. Doing a whole lot of staying out of the wood county place. Great deer come through early November and then they are gone, which leads me to believe it's intrusion on our part. Anyways, really going after 2 deer up there. Ones a 9 that I passed 2 years ago at 4 I believe and one is deer that put on about 35 inches between 3 and 4. But he will be 5 this year. I haven't ran cameras or anything. I will plant for fall and hope for the best. We only hunt it a handful of times a year as I enjoy the public atmosphere. But I do enjoy following this thread. Good luck to all.

Edit, the year is wrong on the stealth cam pic.

Last edited by BW96; 08-16-2017 at 04:51 PM..
BW96 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 04:50 PM   #32
Mexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx

Good luck guys looking good!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Mexico is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 06:10 PM   #33
BowFed2014
Eight Point

We are seeing some nice bucks this year, but not many does. My shooter buck keeps coming in, but he is a little camera shy. I only have 1 decent picture of him and it's a side shot.

BowFed2014 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 06:16 PM   #34
buck40
Spike

In. Hunt Polk county. One spot covered up with deer all offseason, the other spot I haven't seen a deer all year...strange but true. LOTS, LOTS AND LOTS OF PIGS on anything without a pen.
buck40 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 06:40 PM   #35
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Quote:
I just cant bring myself to post pics.i sure got Burned a couple times.
Can't say that I blame you...hope you have a banner year! And that your father gets his hands on a goodun
Old 08-16-2017, 06:44 PM   #36
d_e_smith
Pope & Young

Hunt In: ETX

Quote:

It's a pretty safe bet that if I post pics this year it's of something I have no intention of shooting. One of my stands has a 21pt (what I can make out) NT showing up...but I got a buddy on that place and he's hunting my stands this year. Hoping he groundchecks him.
d_e_smith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 06:53 PM   #37
JLivi1224
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk County

Looking forward to this thread from polk county. Good luck fellas.
JLivi1224 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 06:55 PM   #38
Pineywoodkiller
Ten Point

Hunt In: McCulloch, Gregg, Upshur, Rusk, and Liberty county

I'm in. The wife and I just moved to the north Houston area from Kilgore. I hunted ten minutes from the house there. I don't have anything here so I'm not sure what I'm gonna do. It's gonna kill me, I know that. I guess I'll just have to live through y'all.

Pineywoodkiller is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 07:01 PM   #39
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Angelina county. In.
Bayouboy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 07:02 PM   #40
BW96
Eight Point

Hunt In: Public and wood county

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineywoodkiller View Post
I'm in. The wife and I just moved to the north Houston area from Kilgore. I hunted ten minutes from the house there. I don't have anything here so I'm not sure what I'm gonna do. It's gonna kill me, I know that. I guess I'll just have to live through y'all.

The big sam is not too far from you

BW96 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 07:03 PM   #41
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowFed2014 View Post
We are seeing some nice bucks this year, but not many does. My shooter buck keeps coming in, but he is a little camera shy. I only have 1 decent picture of him and it's a side shot.

If his brows are good, that deer may be a net booner.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:05 PM   #42
Pineywoodkiller
Ten Point

Hunt In: McCulloch, Gregg, Upshur, Rusk, and Liberty county

Quote:
Originally Posted by BW96 View Post
The big sam is not too far from you

I've never hunted public land. To be honest I'm not sure where to begin.

Pineywoodkiller is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 07:06 PM   #43
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_e_smith View Post
It's a pretty safe bet that if I post pics this year it's of something I have no intention of shooting. One of my stands has a 21pt (what I can make out) NT showing up...but I got a buddy on that place and he's hunting my stands this year. Hoping he groundchecks him.
PM me a ph number if you get bored.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:07 PM   #44
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Quote:

You ain't alone, brother we moved back to Conroe last fall, and I was accustomed to walking in the back pasture in the evenings to hunt at the farm. I had some adjusting to do. It's worse this year with no lease I plan on being a TBH junkie unless the farm is free of guests and I can sneak up there a few weekends this year. Dang people want to go up and enjoy the cooler weather and are cutting into my hunting I went from only having 3 weekends off limits to currently having only 4 that will be free all dang year
Old 08-16-2017, 07:34 PM   #45
DaveC
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Menard & Montgomery County

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowFed2014 View Post

Wow, what a hoss!

I'm still shooting swine and an occasional deer in Splendora.
I put up a feeder with slinkys last week, guess I'll be covered in hogs again.

DaveC is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 09:55 PM   #46
Tex
Ten Point

Haven't had a chance to hunt east Texas but I enjoy following the thread. Good luck this year to all.

Tex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 10:27 PM   #47
NewBallCoach
Four Point

I can hardly wait. Need to get my crossbow restrung and I'll be ready for the season. Before you jump me, I've had shoulder surgery on one shoulder and have had to do physical therapy on both multiple times lol.

Can't wait to check cameras this weekend. Also, since taking down my spin feeder I built a PVC pipe feeder and am looking forward to putting that up this weekend.
NewBallCoach is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 10:54 PM   #48
noflyzone
Ten Point

I hunt east of Palestine on the neches river and south of Marshall off hwy 43

Lots of doe and fawns. No target buck yet

noflyzone is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 11:09 PM   #49
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun shooter View Post
I'm in. Can't wait to read all the reports. I'm just starting on my fall food plots over in Leon county near Oakwood.

Are y'all seeing much in the way of acorns? I have one tree over my camp that's pretty thick in acorns but out in the field I'm not seeing much. I don't know if I just can't see them or if they aren't there.

I fertilized an area of white oaks...they are LOADED. Got a stand strategically placed.
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 11:13 PM   #50
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Quote:
I've never hunted public land. To be honest I'm not sure where to begin.

No different than anyplace else, minus the feeder and permanent stand and the people.

No, really the public land is some good hunting. I have 2 leases and still find time to hunt public. grab a tree climber and get after it.
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top