Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2017, 12:55 PM   #101
txpanhandle32
Eight Point
 
txpanhandle32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: allison, tx
Hunt In: allison NE tx panhandle
Default


Stud 4 yr old. He could be a good one next yr!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
txpanhandle32 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2017, 02:17 PM   #102
Top Of Texas
Eight Point
 
Top Of Texas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Texas Panhandle
Hunt In: Panhandle
Default

Dang!
Top Of Texas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2017, 05:02 PM   #103
kry226
Ten Point
 
kry226's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Germany
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Of Texas View Post
Dang!
x2. Get 'em.
kry226 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2017, 05:17 PM   #104
Aggiehunter08
Pope & Young
 
Aggiehunter08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: West Texas
Hunt In: The World
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpanhandle32 View Post

Stud 4 yr old. He could be a good one next yr!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That deer has hung potential. Prob could hit the magic number @ 6.5-7.5
Aggiehunter08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2017, 01:41 PM   #105
Clark
Ten Point
 
Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Austin
Hunt In: Collingsworth Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpanhandle32 View Post

Stud 4 yr old. He could be a good one next yr!
Man, that buck is awesome.
Clark is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2017, 02:01 PM   #106
dataxman
Ten Point
 
dataxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Athens
Hunt In: Wheeler, Collingsworth, Coryell, Bosque, and Henderson counties. I'm willing to travel.
Default

I hope to have the cameras checked next week.

I was up there for the dove opener. Had some good success on the western side of Wheeler County. I saw quite a few quail too. How's the quail looking?
dataxman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2017, 02:11 PM   #107
txpanhandle32
Eight Point
 
txpanhandle32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: allison, tx
Hunt In: allison NE tx panhandle
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiehunter08 View Post
That deer has hung potential. Prob could hit the magic number @ 6.5-7.5
guna be hard enough to wait until he's 5! haha probably will shoot him next year
txpanhandle32 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2017, 02:17 PM   #108
Aggiehunter08
Pope & Young
 
Aggiehunter08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: West Texas
Hunt In: The World
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpanhandle32 View Post
guna be hard enough to wait until he's 5! haha probably will shoot him next year
I've finally got to the point where I realize you'll never shoot 170 deer shooting 150 five year old deer. It's a hard thing to do but will pay off over time. We are letting a solid 5 year old buck walk this year. Wish we'd push our minimum age to 7.5. Hopefully your neighbors will not shoot him.
Aggiehunter08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2017, 02:34 PM   #109
Clark
Ten Point
 
Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Austin
Hunt In: Collingsworth Co.
Default

Work weekend, ready for opener.
Solid crop of young bucks hanging in the pasture.
Knuckleheads better not run off.
Not sure what the plan is, don't think the 8 or that 9 will get any better with another year.
Both were better last year.

Name:  127.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  87.6 KB

Name:  177.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  78.0 KB

Name:  174.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  88.6 KB

Name:  581.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  87.1 KB

Name:  888.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  76.2 KB

Name:  1091.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  84.0 KB

Name:  1277.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  61.9 KB

Name:  1366.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  73.9 KB

Name:  2073.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  85.7 KB

Name:  2768.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  89.3 KB
Clark is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2017, 09:16 PM   #110
Top Of Texas
Eight Point
 
Top Of Texas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Texas Panhandle
Hunt In: Panhandle
Default

Clark, how old did you reckon that 9 pt was last year?
Top Of Texas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2017, 09:39 PM   #111
Top Of Texas
Eight Point
 
Top Of Texas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Texas Panhandle
Hunt In: Panhandle
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiehunter08 View Post
I've finally got to the point where I realize you'll never shoot 170 deer shooting 150 five year old deer. It's a hard thing to do but will pay off over time. We are letting a solid 5 year old buck walk this year. Wish we'd push our minimum age to 7.5. Hopefully your neighbors will not shoot him.
Each to his own of course, but you are spot on. I can't tell you the number of dead bucks I've seen, and 1 thing appears true, that really big deer are not as rare as it might seem. Still rare, but most of them get shot when they break 140-150 regardless of age.
Top Of Texas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2017, 07:00 AM   #112
txpanhandle32
Eight Point
 
txpanhandle32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: allison, tx
Hunt In: allison NE tx panhandle
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiehunter08 View Post
I've finally got to the point where I realize you'll never shoot 170 deer shooting 150 five year old deer. It's a hard thing to do but will pay off over time. We are letting a solid 5 year old buck walk this year. Wish we'd push our minimum age to 7.5. Hopefully your neighbors will not shoot him.


Oh ya i totally agree, but one my neighbors will shoot him before then. Hes good about lettin them get to 5 but thats about max.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
txpanhandle32 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2017, 07:18 AM   #113
Clark
Ten Point
 
Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Austin
Hunt In: Collingsworth Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Of Texas View Post
Clark, how old did you reckon that 9 pt was last year?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Of Texas View Post
Each to his own of course, but you are spot on. I can't tell you the number of dead bucks I've seen, and 1 thing appears true, that really big deer are not as rare as it might seem. Still rare, but most of them get shot when they break 140-150 regardless of age.
I've posted about 20 pics of him. (post 33, 34, 109).
How old do you think that buck is?
Clark is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2017, 07:32 AM   #114
SFAbowhunter
Ten Point
 
SFAbowhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Melissa, Texas
Hunt In: Public Land
Default

That 9 is a great looking mature buck. If he was better last year it would be hard for me to pass him this year.
SFAbowhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2017, 02:00 PM   #115
coldgas
Ten Point
 
coldgas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Briscoe Tx
Hunt In: Hemphill Co
Default

Well, before I went to Beaumont for a week the milo was looking great with big fat grain filled heads on it. I went yesterday to plow up the wheat half of the plot and there is not a milo head to be seen. I'm glad to have deer but usually they do not eat my milo up till frost and I don't even have wheat planted yet. Not looking good for bow season.
coldgas is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2017, 09:45 PM   #116
Top Of Texas
Eight Point
 
Top Of Texas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Texas Panhandle
Hunt In: Panhandle
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark View Post
I've posted about 20 pics of him. (post 33, 34, 109).
How old do you think that buck is?
I hate trying to age deer before they're filled out for rut. But looking at last year photo in mid Oct, there's no way that's a 3 year old. This year we have very few 5 yrs and no 6 yrs, so he's likely 7 or older.

I expect you to post a photo of him in your hands next weekend.
Top Of Texas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2017, 10:56 PM   #117
Top Of Texas
Eight Point
 
Top Of Texas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Texas Panhandle
Hunt In: Panhandle
Default

Thought y'all might find this interesting.

I love spot and stalk, one of the blessings of the Panhandle. I did a lot in the early 90's at Matador WMA before it went to draw. I got in range a few times, but always went Full Retard when it came to shot time, 20 yards to a bedded buck just popped the adrenaline threshold. What can I say?

A while back on a friends ranch, I spotted a nice little mule deer about a 1/4 mile and wanted a picture. In less than about 20 minutes I was within 20 yds and snapping pictures. It didn't occur to me how calm I was about it until he stuck his head down behind a bush and I thought - I could've drawn my bow right there.

What do you think drives the different emotional responses between shooting with a camera vs with a bow? If I'd been bow hunting, it would've taken me over an hour to stalk into range then history would show I would've screwed up a shot opportunity. Ive done this several times with a camera. But put a bow in my hands and I turn into Gomer Pyle. What gives?!
Attached Images
  
Top Of Texas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2017, 12:14 AM   #118
sbushee
Six Point
 
sbushee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Hunt In: Hardeman county
Default

Those are great pics of the muley
sbushee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2017, 11:14 AM   #119
coldgas
Ten Point
 
coldgas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Briscoe Tx
Hunt In: Hemphill Co
Default

Who's hunting this weekend?? Wish I were ready but I'm not.

Top of Texas, on Monday I had a TPWD pickup pass me at the 83/33 junction and there was a floppy eared dog riding shotgun. Was that you??
coldgas is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2017, 03:44 PM   #120
kry226
Ten Point
 
kry226's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Germany
Default

Can ya smell it???? Almost there!
kry226 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2017, 04:11 PM   #121
Top Of Texas
Eight Point
 
Top Of Texas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Texas Panhandle
Hunt In: Panhandle
Default

I won't be hunting, but my neck is swellin'. Im loving the weather.
Top Of Texas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2017, 04:31 PM   #122
Jethro
Ten Point
 
Jethro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Collingsworth County
Hunt In: Quail, Marilla
Default

I got home from pig/varmint hunting down at Ozona about middle of Sunday afternoon. With the forecast we had I knew I had to get seed slung out on my food plot. It has been way to dry to plant up until now. Timed it just right though! It has got probably 4" of rain on it in the last 3 days. By this weekend it should be popping up and growing like crazy!

With this kind of opportunity I imagine I should go ahead and put some fertilizer on that Triticale this weekend, and probably throw some AWP out in it too.
Jethro is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2017, 05:13 PM   #123
Mudslinger
Pope & Young
 
Mudslinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lubbock, TX
Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA
Default

Ready but not going. Wife is leaving town and I do not want to board the dogs this weekend. Not anything really to look at on cams so I will wait until next weekend. Good luck to everyone else!
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2017, 06:03 PM   #124
Top Of Texas
Eight Point
 
Top Of Texas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Texas Panhandle
Hunt In: Panhandle
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldgas View Post
Who's hunting this weekend?? Wish I were ready but I'm not.

Top of Texas, on Monday I had a TPWD pickup pass me at the 83/33 junction and there was a floppy eared dog riding shotgun. Was that you??
Nope, wasn't me. Probably guy from Gene Howe.
Top Of Texas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2017, 06:14 PM   #125
Clark
Ten Point
 
Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Austin
Hunt In: Collingsworth Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldgas View Post
Wish I were ready but I'm not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Of Texas View Post
I won't be hunting
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslinger View Post
Ready but not going.
Buncha slackers.

My hound has a terrible ear infection, she has to sit this one out.
Guess I'm going solo.
Probably wear out my welcome at Wellingtontx and Comet's camp.
I'll have a report Monday.
Clark is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2017, 06:36 PM   #126
Top Of Texas
Eight Point
 
Top Of Texas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Texas Panhandle
Hunt In: Panhandle
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark View Post
Buncha slackers.

My hound has a terrible ear infection, she has to sit this one out.
Guess I'm going solo.
Probably wear out my welcome at Wellingtontx and Comet's camp.
I'll have a report Monday.
HA!

So what's it gonna be Clark? The 9 pt or the 8 pt or hold out for surprise visitor?
Top Of Texas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2017, 08:43 PM   #127
coldgas
Ten Point
 
coldgas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Briscoe Tx
Hunt In: Hemphill Co
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark View Post
Buncha slackers.

Yes. My foodplot was destroyed a month early by deer. I'll hopefully get wheat planted early next week and be ready to hunt in a month. I haven't been to my Bronte lease to set up either. My daughter is getting married in a few weeks and we are short handed at work. I really need to get my priorities straight with this hunting stuff cuz it just ain't working out this year.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
coldgas is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2017, 09:06 PM   #128
Clark
Ten Point
 
Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Austin
Hunt In: Collingsworth Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Of Texas View Post
HA!

So what's it gonna be Clark? The 9 pt or the 8 pt or hold out for surprise visitor?
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldgas View Post
Y
Oh yeah.
With y'all missing the opener, somebody needs to knock something down to keep this thread going.
Maybe that boar that's been jumping in the feed pen shows.
Clark is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2017, 11:32 AM   #129
chastings77
Nubbin' Buck
 
chastings77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Texas Panhandle
Hunt In: Lake Meredith, Crossbar
Default

Saturday can't get here soon enough! Hunting Lake Meredith archery...hike, spot and stalk. Got really close last year on a stalk, hope to make it happen this year. I have never seen many archery hunters out there. anyone else going?
chastings77 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2017, 11:42 AM   #130
Jethro
Ten Point
 
Jethro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Collingsworth County
Hunt In: Quail, Marilla
Default

I am leaving our bowhunting spot for my son. He will probably be in Sun/Mon to give it a shot. Not sure what I have going this weekend, but may have to give you a holler Clark. Or might see you over at Robert and Scotts.

Been cool and wet up here, doesn't feel like bow opener at all. More like rifle opener is what it feels like. Should have the deer moving good. Ought to be a great weekend.

Last edited by Jethro; 09-28-2017 at 11:45 AM..
Jethro is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2017, 12:47 PM   #131
Clark
Ten Point
 
Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Austin
Hunt In: Collingsworth Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
I am leaving our bowhunting spot for my son. He will probably be in Sun/Mon to give it a shot. Not sure what I have going this weekend, but may have to give you a holler Clark. Or might see you over at Robert and Scotts.

Been cool and wet up here, doesn't feel like bow opener at all. More like rifle opener is what it feels like. Should have the deer moving good. Ought to be a great weekend.
Be nice to see you.
Thanks for the weather report, that's good news.
Clark is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2017, 01:14 PM   #132
Jethro
Ten Point
 
Jethro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Collingsworth County
Hunt In: Quail, Marilla
Default

Samnorwood/Quail/Marilla didn't get as much rain as we did here in town. Total those places is probably 4"-5". Here in town more like 7"-8" since Sunday morning. We got 5" in town on Monday alone. More rain forecasted possibly Friday, with a pretty decent chance Saturday morning. Bring rain gear for sure. And it has been pretty cool as well. Today was 55 for the low and only supposed to hit 65 this afternoon.

I picked up a brassica mix to top dress the food plot at the hidey-hole in the woods with in the morning. With all the moisture I am going to go ahead and sling some fertilizer as well.Will run the camera card while I am out there. Everything should be hard-horned now.

I will have to spend some time at home with the wife this weekend. She has been in KC since Monday morning on hospital business, won't be back until late Friday. I was gone to Ozona Fri/Sat/Sun last week pig hunting. We have only seen each other half a day in the last week. I bet I can slip out that way for a couple hours at some point though.

This is the pig I busted down in Ozona last weekend.

FullSizeR by , on Flickr

Last edited by Jethro; 09-28-2017 at 01:17 PM..
Jethro is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2017, 02:11 PM   #133
Hi-Lonesome
Four Point
 
Hi-Lonesome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: TX Panhandle
Hunt In: TX Panhandle
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chastings77 View Post
Saturday can't get here soon enough! Hunting Lake Meredith archery...hike, spot and stalk. Got really close last year on a stalk, hope to make it happen this year. I have never seen many archery hunters out there. anyone else going?
I have bow hunted Meredith a few times years past and it was extremely difficult without success. If you are able to close the deal out there with a bow I would be very impressed. After the last go around I was thinking a boat ride from Harbor bay to Martin's or Evan's canyon would yield some success.
Hi-Lonesome is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2017, 03:23 PM   #134
coldgas
Ten Point
 
coldgas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Briscoe Tx
Hunt In: Hemphill Co
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-Lonesome View Post
I have bow hunted Meredith a few times years past and it was extremely difficult without success. If you are able to close the deal out there with a bow I would be very impressed. After the last go around I was thinking a boat ride from Harbor bay to Martin's or Evan's canyon would yield some success.
Dies the lake go back that far. We used to do that when the lake was full.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
coldgas is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2017, 01:12 PM   #135
chastings77
Nubbin' Buck
 
chastings77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Texas Panhandle
Hunt In: Lake Meredith, Crossbar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-Lonesome View Post
I have bow hunted Meredith a few times years past and it was extremely difficult without success. If you are able to close the deal out there with a bow I would be very impressed. After the last go around I was thinking a boat ride from Harbor bay to Martin's or Evan's canyon would yield some success.
I have hiked in to Martins and Evans canyons...tough hike for sure!

I have always wanted to take a boat over to Evans canyon. I know that the water does go all the way to the east side of it. I thought that it would be a neat business to 'ferry' hunters from harbor bay to Evan's canyon on the weekend, $50 both ways or something. I would pay good money for someone to take me in by boat on a Friday evening and then pick me up on Saturday or Sunday...haul my gear and meat!

Last edited by chastings77; 09-29-2017 at 01:28 PM..
chastings77 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2017, 06:46 AM   #136
Aggiehunter08
Pope & Young
 
Aggiehunter08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: West Texas
Hunt In: The World
Default

Good luck this morning gents. Misting rain here.
Aggiehunter08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2017, 09:14 AM   #137
hunter68
Six Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default

Not going because of moisture. Do have a question though. I know in areas with higher deer densities, people feed all day. Thinking about adding a 10am and 2pm feed time. Any thoughts on this in the panhandle?
hunter68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2017, 09:43 AM   #138
tdhadley10
Four Point
 
tdhadley10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Default

Holy crap!! Just stuck my first deer and it's a big Muley buck!! Came in right at sunrise. First a really nice prob 4.5 year old came straight into feeder pen, which I was a little shocked bc the muleys havnt come in the pens much. He was nice but decided to let him go. Was def hard decision bc I've never harvested with my bow in 3 years of bow hunting. Then three mins later I see big boy pop out. Was just praying he came in bc this stand doesn't have great shooting lanes. Too grown up trees around me. He took a while but jumped in and started feeding. He got behind feeder so I drew for what felt like 20 mins. Prob 3 min hike and he finally stepped out. Tried to calm the heart rate, which didn't really happen, then settled in and let it fly. He was barely quartered towards me but not much. More broad than anything. Heard the glorious thud and he jumped and my arrow then went straight in the air. He walked slowly and wobbly away stopping often and looked like he was gonna go down. Never saw or heard him drop but feel good about the shot. Just got down and def got him. Dark blood and arrow smells like deer for sure!! Gonna let him sit for a few hours then start the recovery!!

Wow! That was an experience of a lifetime for sure. So pumped. I'll check back after I recover him. Wow!! 2027-2018 Archery Season. One I'll never forget!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tdhadley10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2017, 09:44 AM   #139
tdhadley10
Four Point
 
tdhadley10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhadley10 View Post
Holy crap!! Just stuck my first deer and it's a big Muley buck!! Came in right at sunrise. First a really nice prob 4.5 year old came straight into feeder pen, which I was a little shocked bc the muleys havnt come in the pens much. He was nice but decided to let him go. Was def hard decision bc I've never harvested with my bow in 3 years of bow hunting. Then three mins later I see big boy pop out. Was just praying he came in bc this stand doesn't have great shooting lanes. Too grown up trees around me. He took a while but jumped in and started feeding. He got behind feeder so I drew for what felt like 20 mins. Prob 3 min hike and he finally stepped out. Tried to calm the heart rate, which didn't really happen, then settled in and let it fly. He was barely quartered towards me but not much. More broad than anything. Heard the glorious thud and he jumped and my arrow then went straight in the air. He walked slowly and wobbly away stopping often and looked like he was gonna go down. Never saw or heard him drop but feel good about the shot. Just got down and def got him. Dark blood and arrow smells like deer for sure!! Gonna let him sit for a few hours then start the recovery!!

Wow! That was an experience of a lifetime for sure. So pumped. I'll check back after I recover him. Wow!! 2027-2018 Archery Season. One I'll never forget!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Anyone know a tracker with dogs in Childress area?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tdhadley10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2017, 10:19 AM   #140
Duzy
Ten Point
 
Duzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Texas Panhandle
Hunt In: Wheeler & Hemphill
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhadley10 View Post
Anyone know a tracker with dogs in Childress area?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Jeff Bonner: (806)-662-3357

Good luck


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Duzy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2017, 10:31 AM   #141
Top Of Texas
Eight Point
 
Top Of Texas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Texas Panhandle
Hunt In: Panhandle
Default

Me. I'm in Pampa with dog.

Give him at least 6 hours. I prefer to wait 12 hr, but you'll want to start where you'll have plenty of daylight. You should be OK if you don't bump him. A deer walking off slow is usually hit back, dark blood is usually liver. Depends, but most will go between 200 yds - 600 yds. Just be patient. And go slow.

If you run into trouble, or want to talk about it, just call me. My phone number is on my website. Let me know how you're doing before 3:00 today.

www.topoftexastracking.com
Top Of Texas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2017, 10:35 AM   #142
Duzy
Ten Point
 
Duzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Texas Panhandle
Hunt In: Wheeler & Hemphill
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Of Texas View Post
Me. I'm in Pampa with dog.



Give him at least 6 hours. I prefer to wait 12 hr, but you'll want to start where you'll have plenty of daylight. You should be OK if you don't bump him. A deer walking off slow is usually hit back, dark blood is usually liver. Depends, but most will go between 200 yds - 600 yds. Just be patient. And go slow.



If you run into trouble, or want to talk about it, just call me. My phone number is on my website. Let me know how you're doing before 3:00 today.



www.topoftexastracking.com


Thanks Jeff


Not this Cowboy...
Duzy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2017, 02:58 PM   #143
Top Of Texas
Eight Point
 
Top Of Texas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Texas Panhandle
Hunt In: Panhandle
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhadley10 View Post
Holy crap!! Just stuck my first deer and it's a big Muley buck!! Came in right at sunrise. First a really nice prob 4.5 year old came straight into feeder pen, which I was a little shocked bc the muleys havnt come in the pens much. He was nice but decided to let him go. Was def hard decision bc I've never harvested with my bow in 3 years of bow hunting. Then three mins later I see big boy pop out. Was just praying he came in bc this stand doesn't have great shooting lanes. Too grown up trees around me. He took a while but jumped in and started feeding. He got behind feeder so I drew for what felt like 20 mins. Prob 3 min hike and he finally stepped out. Tried to calm the heart rate, which didn't really happen, then settled in and let it fly. He was barely quartered towards me but not much. More broad than anything. Heard the glorious thud and he jumped and my arrow then went straight in the air. He walked slowly and wobbly away stopping often and looked like he was gonna go down. Never saw or heard him drop but feel good about the shot. Just got down and def got him. Dark blood and arrow smells like deer for sure!! Gonna let him sit for a few hours then start the recovery!!

Wow! That was an experience of a lifetime for sure. So pumped. I'll check back after I recover him. Wow!! 2027-2018 Archery Season. One I'll never forget!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Any news?
Top Of Texas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2017, 03:17 PM   #144
tdhadley10
Four Point
 
tdhadley10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Of Texas View Post
Any news?


No deer. Tracked him for about 50 yards and then blood went cold. Backed out so we wouldn't disturb evening hint and will look again this afternoon. Must not have been as good shot as I felt like I made. Pretty bummed right now. Hoping I stumble upon him or get another chance. I'm pretty sick.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tdhadley10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2017, 05:02 PM   #145
Top Of Texas
Eight Point
 
Top Of Texas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Texas Panhandle
Hunt In: Panhandle
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhadley10 View Post
No deer. Tracked him for about 50 yards and then blood went cold. Backed out so we wouldn't disturb evening hint and will look again this afternoon. Must not have been as good shot as I felt like I made. Pretty bummed right now. Hoping I stumble upon him or get another chance. I'm pretty sick.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Give me a call. If you want to hire me to bring my dog don't stomp up the scent by doing a grid search.
Top Of Texas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2017, 06:01 PM   #146
txpanhandle32
Eight Point
 
txpanhandle32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: allison, tx
Hunt In: allison NE tx panhandle
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Of Texas View Post
Give me a call. If you want to hire me to bring my dog don't stomp up the scent by doing a grid search.


Promise you wont be dissapointed if you call Jeff, if the deers dead id put money on it that he will find it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
txpanhandle32 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2017, 06:03 PM   #147
Aggiehunter08
Pope & Young
 
Aggiehunter08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: West Texas
Hunt In: The World
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhadley10 View Post
Holy crap!! Just stuck my first deer and it's a big Muley buck!! Came in right at sunrise. First a really nice prob 4.5 year old came straight into feeder pen, which I was a little shocked bc the muleys havnt come in the pens much. He was nice but decided to let him go. Was def hard decision bc I've never harvested with my bow in 3 years of bow hunting. Then three mins later I see big boy pop out. Was just praying he came in bc this stand doesn't have great shooting lanes. Too grown up trees around me. He took a while but jumped in and started feeding. He got behind feeder so I drew for what felt like 20 mins. Prob 3 min hike and he finally stepped out. Tried to calm the heart rate, which didn't really happen, then settled in and let it fly. He was barely quartered towards me but not much. More broad than anything. Heard the glorious thud and he jumped and my arrow then went straight in the air. He walked slowly and wobbly away stopping often and looked like he was gonna go down. Never saw or heard him drop but feel good about the shot. Just got down and def got him. Dark blood and arrow smells like deer for sure!! Gonna let him sit for a few hours then start the recovery!!

Wow! That was an experience of a lifetime for sure. So pumped. I'll check back after I recover him. Wow!! 2027-2018 Archery Season. One I'll never forget!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds like a liver shot. He should be dead. Call a dog.
Aggiehunter08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2017, 06:05 PM   #148
txpanhandle32
Eight Point
 
txpanhandle32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: allison, tx
Hunt In: allison NE tx panhandle
Default


No idea what will come in, havent checked the cam in awhile but there is ALOT of good sign!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
txpanhandle32 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2017, 06:11 PM   #149
tdhadley10
Four Point
 
tdhadley10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Default

Jeff I appreciate it sir. Really do. I'm down in cottle county so a ways from you. Got a local dog in and tracked further than we did but lost it about 200 yards from shot. Never found anymore blood after about 50 yards. So bummed and sick I either wounded it or killed and count recover.

Jeff, did you by chance help search for s double drop whitetail for Coke Howard a few years ago? Didn't find and then Cole got him during rifle season later that year.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tdhadley10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2017, 07:31 PM   #150
Top Of Texas
Eight Point
 
Top Of Texas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Texas Panhandle
Hunt In: Panhandle
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhadley10 View Post
Jeff I appreciate it sir. Really do. I'm down in cottle county so a ways from you. Got a local dog in and tracked further than we did but lost it about 200 yards from shot. Never found anymore blood after about 50 yards. So bummed and sick I either wounded it or killed and count recover.

Jeff, did you by chance help search for s double drop whitetail for Coke Howard a few years ago? Didn't find and then Cole got him during rifle season later that year.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Local dog? Yer killin' me!

Don't recall that one buck in particular but have had a several of the "survivors" get killed later in season.
Top Of Texas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com