Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-13-2017, 01:01 PM   #1
Gbird
Ten Point

Hunt In: Robertson & Polk Counties
Default How to introduce protein...

My dad and I are looking to start feeding protein at his place. As far as I know, the deer never seen it before. How do you get the deer to start eating it? When do you start feeling it? Thanks for the info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gbird is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-13-2017, 01:02 PM   #2
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Mix it with corn
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-13-2017, 01:03 PM   #3
breederbuck33
Ten Point

Set up feeder... Fill feeder... Leave... There is no art to getting them to come to the protein. They smell it and they'll come and go as they want it.
breederbuck33 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-13-2017, 01:23 PM   #4
TKK
Ten Point

mix with corn - some feed year round and others just during the off season - it is most important that they have it when the rut is over as they are run down and it will help them regain weight
TKK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-13-2017, 02:13 PM   #5
mudkat
Eight Point

Hunt In: rusk county

I had trouble getting my east Texas deer to eat it. one of my feeders was pretty low to the ground and bucks started licking corn off the spinner plate so I put a gravity feed protein feeder in the same spot with corn at the bottom and protein on top and once they started eating it was Katy bar the door!
mudkat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-13-2017, 02:21 PM   #6
JonBoy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason, TX; Doss, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by breederbuck33 View Post
Set up feeder... Fill feeder... Leave... There is no art to getting them to come to the protein. They smell it and they'll come and go as they want it.
Exactly. I put a free-feed protein feeder on my place and they had no problem finding it and figured out really quickly it was something they wanted to eat.
JonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-13-2017, 02:51 PM   #7
Huntsman27
Four Point

Hunt In: Brownwood, TX

I just started feeding protein this year and I mixed a bag of corn in with the protein and had a big problem with coons. Granted the protein feeder I have is a poor design but I don't think the coons would have been as big of an issue if I didn't add corn to get the deer started. Based on my limited experience with getting deer on protein I would not add corn. None of my corn feeders have feed pens around them but we do have a feed pen around the protein feeder. Within 2 days I had pictures with deer in the feed pen eating protein. I believe I have killed 15 coons off the protein feeder and hardly lost any protein afterwards. You can see the problem I had with coons digging for corn in this thread - http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=646726
Huntsman27 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-13-2017, 03:23 PM   #8
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Foard Co.

When we started it just set up the feeder and filled it. Took 3-4 days and they found it. Unfortunately after about a week the cows did too. Now I need new legs and have to move it
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-13-2017, 04:03 PM   #9
sbushee
Ten Point

Hunt In: All types of weather conditions

Quote:
Originally Posted by breederbuck33 View Post
This. It actually is that simple
sbushee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-13-2017, 04:04 PM   #10
bowsticker
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County, Brackettville

You can just fill it and walk away or you can put some on the ground and mix it with corn. Both strategies will work.
bowsticker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-13-2017, 04:29 PM   #11
batmaninja
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman27 View Post
I just started feeding protein this year and I mixed a bag of corn in with the protein and had a big problem with coons.
I did the same. Once.

Because a coon, crawled up into the feeder. And died. Then rotted. Then kind of calcified around the maggots and protein pellets. It was putrid.
batmaninja is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-13-2017, 04:32 PM   #12
Walker
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKK View Post
mix with corn - some feed year round and others just during the off season - it is most important that they have it when the rut is over as they are run down and it will help them regain weight
This. They need protien from now until spring green up.
Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-13-2017, 07:05 PM   #13
justin81
Eight Point

Hunt In: TX, MN, SD

not to hijack the thread, but how much protein will a group of deer go through in 4 months.
justin81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-13-2017, 08:27 PM   #14
fbchunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Thompsons

It isn’t as simple as some on this thread make it to be. It all depends on your area and the deer in it. It’s green almost year around in my area. It’s hit or miss here but what will work is put the feeder out with corn in it first. Get them used to eating what they are used to out of the feeder. Then slowly mix in protein, transition the ratio slowly over time until you are feeding only protein. Even then on really wet years they still won’t eat consistently here. Good luck and please do yourself a favor and don’t fill it full with anything until you know they will eat out of the feeder. This can save you a ton of work if they don’t like your feeder. The deer in my area see a lot of pressure so no doubt this has skewed my experience
fbchunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-13-2017, 08:34 PM   #15
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

“Deer, this is protein!! Protein, this is deer!”
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-13-2017, 08:47 PM   #16
LWD
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young County and anywhere else I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin81 View Post
not to hijack the thread, but how much protein will a group of deer go through in 4 months.
A lot. And it's a lot more expensive than corn. Some of it will depend on what your habitat is like. Some of it will depend on how many deer you have. But if they find, like it, and need it, deer can empty a protein feeder really quickly. A friend of mine goes through 600 pounds of protein every 2 weeks.

LWD
LWD is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-13-2017, 09:00 PM   #17
texashunter56
Ten Point

I would never fill a feeder to the top. I would never mix corn and protein for the initial feeder fill. I would put a bag of corn or two in the feeder when I set it up to get the deer used to the feeder and then eating out of it. Next, I would mix a bag of corn and protein together in the feeder to see how long it take them to eat the mix. Then put in the same number of bags of protein to see how long it takes them to eat that. Corn is a coon buffet and will cause issues to use it only to get the deer used to eating from the feeder. If anyone close has been feeding protein it may be easy to train the deer. The drier or worse the range conditions are the quicker they will get on the protein. The first month after the rut is critical for bucks to recover and easiest to get them on feed.
texashunter56 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-13-2017, 09:13 PM   #18
fbchunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Thompsons

Quote:
Originally Posted by texashunter56 View Post
I would never fill a feeder to the top. I would never mix corn and protein for the initial feeder fill. I would put a bag of corn or two in the feeder when I set it up to get the deer used to the feeder and then eating out of it. Next, I would mix a bag of corn and protein together in the feeder to see how long it take them to eat the mix. Then put in the same number of bags of protein to see how long it takes them to eat that. Corn is a coon buffet and will cause issues to use it only to get the deer used to eating from the feeder. If anyone close has been feeding protein it may be easy to train the deer. The drier or worse the range conditions are the quicker they will get on the protein. The first month after the rut is critical for bucks to recover and easiest to get them on feed.
Listen to this guy! He probably has forgotten more about deer and hunting than most of us will learn and experience in a lifetime.
fbchunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-13-2017, 09:36 PM   #19
Gbird
Ten Point

Hunt In: Robertson & Polk Counties
Default How to introduce protein...

Got it. Thanks for the info, guys. The feeder I will be using is hanging from a tree about 4í off the ground with a down spout. Iím not too worried about coons raiding it. They may scrounge a bit off the ground, but that should be it.

My herd is about 15-20 or so deer that Iíve seen around my dadís place. I know I havenít seen every deer, so probably add in a few more. I was thinking of feeding HiPro, but Iím open to other suggestions. Some of you already touched on my next question of when to start. I guess Iíll get it up and running faster than February since our rut has come and gone already.

Gbird is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2017, 09:41 AM   #20
chase15
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbird View Post
Got it. Thanks for the info, guys. The feeder I will be using is hanging from a tree about 4í off the ground with a down spout. Iím not too worried about coons raiding it. They may scrounge a bit off the ground, but that should be it.

My herd is about 15-20 or so deer that Iíve seen around my dadís place. I know I havenít seen every deer, so probably add in a few more. I was thinking of feeding HiPro, but Iím open to other suggestions. Some of you already touched on my next question of when to start. I guess Iíll get it up and running faster than February since our rut has come and gone already.

Oh the coons will get after it, have no fear. Just keep a cam on it and run some traps when you can to knock them back.
chase15 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top