X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daily Bible Portion (Monday)

Daily Bible Portion - 2 of 7
    "HE DWELT"

(Weekly Reading>>Genesis 37:1-40:23, Amos 2:6-3:8, Acts 7:9-16)

Attitude - Genesis 37:5-11

After receiving two dreams from Yahweh, Joseph is set on a course that would change his life and the life of his family forever. He shared these dreams with his family but failed to lift Yahweh up as their source. Joseph had a self-righteous attitude; he only talked about himself when telling of the dreams Yahweh gave him.

• The first dream was of bound sheaves of wheat gathered around Joseph’s upright sheaf. When the brothers heard this they said, “Do you intend to reign over us? Will you actually rule us?”

• In the second dream the sun, moon and eleven stars bowed down to him.

Speaking about the dreams made Joseph’s brothers hate him even more and the manner in which he shared also caused his father Jacob to question him.

Joseph’s attitude problem brought trouble upon him. Jealousy already hid just below the surface of his brother’s hearts over the transfer of the birthright and this bad report just fueled more anger. Now these dreams added to the bitterness and fostered an intolerable spirit in his brother’s hearts. The embers of resentment smoldered waiting for the right moment to burst into flame. We are told not to touch the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, as its fruit will bring death into our lives. Pride is one of its poisonous fruits. The anger festering in his brothers upon hearing Joseph’s dreams opened the door for Yahweh’s plans to unfold in Joseph’s life. Through all this, Jacob was left to ponder Joseph’s words and to remember the Covenant Yahweh had given Abraham and concurrently to himself that he now carried in his heart, the Covenant of Promise.

Genesis 35:11-13 God said to Jacob, “I am God Almighty. Be fruitful and multiply; a nation and a company of nations shall proceed from you, and kings shall come from your body. The land which I gave Abraham and Isaac I give to you; and to your descendants after you I give this land.”

Joseph is Sold and Keeps His Identity - Genesis 37:12-36

Israel (Jacob) called his son Joseph (representative of the future House of Israel) to journey to the region around Shechem to see his brothers (representative of the future House of Judah) who were shepherding and bring word back to him whether they and the sheep were well. This request was the beginning of the dreams about to unfold in Joseph’s life. These dreams were also prophetic of future events that would bring about the reunion of the Twelve Tribes of Israel in the Messianic Age – in our day (Ezekiel 37; Acts 26:6-8).

Joseph’s journey up into the region of Shechem was very dangerous as this was the same region in which his sister Dinah had been violated (Genesis 34). The objective of the journey was to bring shalom to his brothers and return with a good report to his father Jacob. In Hebrew shalom means: peace, completeness, soundness, welfare and safety; soundness (in body), health; prosperity; quiet, tranquility and contentment; friendship and peace from war.

When Joseph arrived in Shechem, a man found him wandering around in the fields. He asked Joseph whom he was searching for? Joseph stated, “I’m looking for my brothers. Can you tell me where they are grazing their flocks?” Once again, this was prophetic of Joseph (representing the House of Israel/Ephraim) looking for his brothers (the House of Judah) in the future. Joseph would be able to recognize (the House of Judah) because they would be pasturing their sheep in this region, a Hebrew idiom for teaching the principles of the Gospel/Torah.

continues tomorrow...
Working...
X