Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-13-2017, 07:31 AM   #51
Katch66
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtech1233 View Post
Cabelas had their berber fleece stuff on sale just last month. Not sure if itís still on sale, but I bought a jacket and pants and they are really warm. They also have a wind block layer built in. Since itís fleece itís also quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This with lighter layers underneath.
Katch66 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-13-2017, 08:30 AM   #52
Daniel75
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Red River County & Atoka Co Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Cotton sucks for keeping you warm. It holds moisture and gets cold. I hunted last weekend in that weather and never was cold. Here's what I had on:

UnderArmour Heat Gear knock off turtle neck under layer from Walmart (not super tight, just snug). Light weight merino wool shirt over that. Then a Cabela's Berber Fleece with Windshear jacket. That's good down into the 20s, as long as the wind isn't strong. If it's colder than that, I'll add a Patagonia Nano Puff under the Berber Fleece. It's thin and really light weight, but very warm. The Berber Fleece is super quiet too.

It's important to wear gloves, neck/face gaiter, and a warm hat. I like a regular cap with a toboggan on top to cover my ears.

Bottom layers were merino socks, merino long johns, and camo hunting pants. If it's super cold and I'll be sitting still, I'll add a fleece under pant to the mix. I just wore my snake boots. Never got cold. If it's in the teens or single digits, I'll wear 600 gram Thinsulate and Gore-tex boots.

A big key for everything is to not wear anything that is too tight. You don't want to hinder circulation. You don't need baggy and bulky, but don't go too tight.
Shane FTW
Daniel75 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-13-2017, 04:41 PM   #53
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Bottom layers were merino socks, merino long johns, and camo hunting pants. If it's super cold and I'll be sitting still, I'll add a fleece under pant to the mix. I just wore my snake boots. Never got cold. If it's in the teens or single digits, I'll wear 600 gram Thinsulate and Gore-tex boots.
Shane when you say add a fleece under pant to the mix do you wear those over your camo hunting pants, or under? And are you talking about something along the lines of these Cabela's Outfitter Series Men's Wooltimateô Pants with 4MOST WINDSHEAR?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/cloth...9.uts?slotId=0
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-13-2017, 04:45 PM   #54
Skinny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montague County

Fleece camo or black. Depends on what stand Iím in.

Skinny
Skinny is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-13-2017, 05:16 PM   #55
2B4Him
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stephens County

I have messed up two shots when I've worn heavier jackets - string popped the sleaves.
I layer up, but when it is real cold, I take my old Army surplus down sleeping bag and get into it with it resting up on my shoulders. I stay really toasty and I can easily/quietly slip it off my shoulders for a shot.
2B4Him is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-13-2017, 05:22 PM   #56
Bowhuntin_Toona
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hardeman County, Illinois and Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
May be bulkier than you want but the Predator fleece in the TBH store has kept me warm down into the teens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
This is what I use. Tank top, Long sleeve t-shirt and hoodie layers when it's cold.
Bowhuntin_Toona is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-13-2017, 06:12 PM   #57
Texans42
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etxbuckman View Post
Shane when you say add a fleece under pant to the mix do you wear those over your camo hunting pants, or under? And are you talking about something along the lines of these Cabela's Outfitter Series Men's Wooltimate™ Pants with 4MOST WINDSHEAR?

Really cold, get the fleece wader pants w/stirrups for underneath

Last edited by Texans42; 12-13-2017 at 06:19 PM.
Texans42 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-13-2017, 06:19 PM   #58
Usdi Yonv
Six Point

If the rest of the jacket is o.k., take it to a seamstress and have them put in a new zipper.
Usdi Yonv is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2017, 06:26 AM   #59
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Red Dirt Area In Doss, Texas!

Cabelas has a great sale on the Berber / Wooltimate fleece with wind shear. Just picked up a couple more items.

Also snagged a couple UA hoodies for $10 ea.!

Last edited by Traildust; 12-14-2017 at 06:28 AM.
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2017, 06:39 AM   #60
dphillips62
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mission Valley, Victoria, and anywhere else I can sling an arrow

Thermacare low back belt. They last about 8 hours place it over your kidneys and you will be plenty warm. When I had my Harley i would use them on very cold days and they worked like a charm.
dphillips62 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2017, 06:45 AM   #61
Ironman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by dphillips62 View Post
Thermacare low back belt. They last about 8 hours place it over your kidneys and you will be plenty warm. When I had my Harley i would use them on very cold days and they worked like a charm.
That's a great idea! Hope I can remember this.
Ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2017, 09:10 AM   #62
Tx_Wader
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jackson County and Utopia

http://www.basspro.com/shop/en/under...ductextensions

Thank me later.
Tx_Wader is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2017, 09:35 AM   #63
bowhntrmatt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Concho, Val Verde

Iím a pansy when it gets cold, so what I put on is an under armor cold gear base layer, then a rocky fleece base layer, then a UA scent control midweight zip-up, then a UA scent control jacket. Iíve shot plenty out of a pop up without any issues.
bowhntrmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2017, 09:42 AM   #64
Buck-N-Rut
Ten Point

Hunt In: Abilene/Brady

Quote:
Cotton sucks for keeping you warm. It holds moisture and gets cold. I hunted last weekend in that weather and never was cold. Here's what I had on:

UnderArmour Heat Gear knock off turtle neck under layer from Walmart (not super tight, just snug). Light weight merino wool shirt over that. Then a Cabela's Berber Fleece with Windshear jacket. That's good down into the 20s, as long as the wind isn't strong. If it's colder than that, I'll add a Patagonia Nano Puff under the Berber Fleece. It's thin and really light weight, but very warm. The Berber Fleece is super quiet too.

It's important to wear gloves, neck/face gaiter, and a warm hat. I like a regular cap with a toboggan on top to cover my ears.

A big key for everything is to not wear anything that is too tight. You don't want to hinder circulation. You don't need baggy and bulky, but don't go too tight.
If its in the single digits then i will be in a box blind with a heater or drinking coffee next to my fireplace.
Buck-N-Rut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2017, 09:44 AM   #65
canny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Houston & Zavalla

Be smart about your layers and you can get by with minimal bulk. Moisture wicking base layer, followed by Merino Wool then on to your outer layer. I have a Kryptek down insulation packable jacket and a soft shell outer layer. Depending on the temps I may or may not use the down, but its always in the pack. Strip outer layers when walking in and put them on when you get in stand so you don't build up too much body heat.
canny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2017, 10:35 AM   #66
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

You guys are a lot tougher than me- I just plug a battery in and set the temp I like it. If it gets too hot I turn it down. Gets cool turn it up. Pants and socks they need to improve because can not adjust temp settings. I usually Atric Shoeld my feet with hot hands
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2017, 10:44 AM   #67
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etxbuckman View Post
Shane when you say add a fleece under pant to the mix do you wear those over your camo hunting pants, or under? And are you talking about something along the lines of these Cabela's Outfitter Series Men's Wooltimate™ Pants with 4MOST WINDSHEAR?

I have some Patagonia fleece bottoms. I wear them over my merino long johns and under my camo hunting pants. They're not outerwear pants. They're just a warm under layer.

Also, in my post above I mentioned an Under Armour knock off. It's a Cold Gear knock off, not Heat Gear. Thicker shirt designed for cold weather, not the thin stuff for when it's hot outside. It's the first layer I remove when it starts warming up. It doesn't breath like Merino does, but it's warm when it's really cold.

Last edited by Shane; 12-14-2017 at 10:49 AM.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2017, 10:58 AM   #68
cantexduck
Pope & Young

Hunt In: all over central Texas

Sitka
cantexduck is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2017, 11:18 AM   #69
WhiplashTX
Eight Point

Hunt In: Menard

Quote:

Shane covered a lot of the important points. Staying warm is about keeping your core warm. Wearing a vest under your jacket makes a big difference with out restricting your arm movement. You also won't believe how much heat you lose through your head and neck. I like a turtle neck and insulated cap for these areas and if it's really cold I'll pull up my jacket hood.

Another issue many people overlook is sweating. If your wet, you'll never stay warm. Use a moisture wicking layer and then your next layer should be able to absorb that moisture. Your outer layer should be wind proof but breathable. Walking in to your stand is the biggest cause of sweat build up. I will leave my jacket and over pants unzipped or will even leave them off until I get to the stand if I have a long walk.
WhiplashTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top