No announcement yet.

My little slice of Gods country

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would name it " a part of me" . APOM. As you took in a girl in need, and you got this place, that needed help also.

Comment

Originally posted by LivinADream View Post
      While having the dozer up last week, I got on the roof to sweep off pine needles and found a hole that a squirrel had chewed through. I didn't have any material to patch the roof, and with no rain in the forecast I figured I'd fix it when I got back Tuesday. Well I got to work Friday night to see they had me down for overtime on my days off. On top of that the forecast changed to rain all week. So today I got up early, and the wife and I made a quick run to put a temporary patch on the roof. While we were there, I gave her a tour of the new work, and had her take a few pics of some of the oaks I we found with the dozer. I need to learn trees. Anyhow, I'm hoping y'all can help with some I'd. I'm pretty sure they're all oaks (3 different species). Any ideas what they are And if the deer will be looking for them?
      Sorry about picture quality jaspermac [emoji12]
      The green leaves still on the tree, and 3 dead leaves are from the same tree. I have alot of these trees.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Pics 1 and 4 were the same tree? If so, I think the ID’s are as follows.

1+4 - Blackjack oak (Quercus marilandica)
      2 - Swamp Post Oak (Quercus similis)
      3 - Southern Red Oak (Quercus falcata)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

thats awesome! I hope to have something similar some day.

Comment

1&4 looks like a water oak
          2- swamp oak
          3-red oak

Comment

Thanks for the tree help, and for the congrats.
            I had to go to some training today, but got out early so figured I would come put out some more corn and check the cams. I got some rain this week and it seems to have "melted" down the new roads and really smoothed things out. I'm not seeing any signs of a lot of deer, but the nice 8 did show back up. That's the first time since rifle season started if I remember correctly. He will get a pass from me for at least 1 more year, hopefully he will stay out of the way of other hunters. I think he is 5 this year, and maybe 115". Hopefully he makes it and gets a good growing season. What do y'all think on age/score? Notice the date and time on daylight pictures.

Last edited by LivinADream; 12-11-2017, 04:17 PM.

Comment

he's wondering whos been cutting down his woods

Comment

Name it after your stepmom.

Whatever her name is add “place”.

“Judy’s place in the woods”

Amazing gesture. Great story.

Comment

Awesome thread

Comment

I know some people outside of Lampasas who get a tax exemption for feeding birds....I know I called bs when I first heard about it. That changed when we fed for them when they were out of town, I would look into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by WesTex1 View Post
                      I know some people outside of Lampasas who get a tax exemption for feeding birds....I know I called bs when I first heard about it. That changed when we fed for them when they were out of town, I would look into it.

Going to have to look into this. I have lots of birds eating my corn. [emoji39]

Made a trip up there this afternoon and put up a new stand. Lots of tracks around the place. Even up in the yard. Forgot my card reader so won't have pics until I get home. I'll post what I see when I get them uploaded. It's going to be a little bit, I have a big bobcat getting my chickens so I have to set a couple traps when I get home. Stupid cat delayed my trip today, was planning on being at the camp all day. On another note, I did kill a big Tom yesterday.

Comment

The video where he gets the chicken is the first time he showed up last night. Then he comes back, gets in the pen and just watches them about an hour later.

Comment

I looked into it and it actual falls under the wildlife exemption plan

Comment

Originally posted by WesTex1 View Post
                            I looked into it and it actual falls under the wildlife exemption plan

I'll do some research, thanks

Comment

There ain't much better in the world than sitting in a tree on your own land. Been busy the last couple weeks and was finally able to get back up here for a hunt. Came yesterday and did a little work and had a doe and yearling on corn mid day. Camera shows that the same buck is still around. Also got a blurry picture of what looks like a new buck. Good luck to those of you still hunting this season.

Comment

Well I hunted this evening, and will hunt tomorrow and Thursday as well to finish out the season. I don't have any bucks on camera that I would shoot, and doe season is over, but you never know what might pass by. Tonight I didn't see any deer, but did have a fox come in right at dark. It was too dark for my camera pick it up. I have a breeding pair that I get on camera all year, but this is the first time I've seen one in person. Cool little critters. I don't have any quail, or turkey so for now they're safe. I have a few doe hanging around and that same tall 8 is still a regular. One of my cams was set on video and I got a bobcat, and a coyote chasing the 8 pt on camera. How old do y'all think the 8 is? I keep going back and forth between 3-4. Enough rambling, here's a few pics to keep the interest.
                                https://youtu.be/EmnIKLoZr4s

Comment

Working...
                                X