Llano River Flooding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
    This is exactly what I was asking yesterday about Austin’s ability to release vs that of Travis.

If Travis gets forced to release at max capacity can the lakes down stream keep up?

I was thinking the same. I didn't think Town lake and Lady bird could take it, but apparently they can take some. They are talking about 4 more gates on Mansfield in the morning. Why they aren't doing it now, I'm not sure. I assume they are trying to avoid a flood wave downstream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
      I was thinking the same. I didn't think Town lake and Lady bird could take it, but apparently they can take some. They are talking about 4 more gates on Mansfield in the morning. Why they aren't doing it now, I'm not sure. I assume they are trying to avoid a flood wave downstream.

I found this info helpful.

Comment

Crazy amount of water

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
          Holy ****!!
          Exactly what my wife and I both said!

Comment

Originally posted by thegrouse View Post

I found that earlier. But they've never opened 8 gates on Mansfield before.

The whole thing feels like spreading around the pain, or deciding who gets the most. I'm glad I don't have to decide..

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
              This is exactly what I was asking yesterday about Austin’s ability to release vs that of Travis.

If Travis gets forced to release at max capacity can the lakes down stream keep up?
              Tom Miller Dam can release 107k cfs vs Mansfield 130k cfs. With 8 Gates open, Mansfield will only be around 50k cfs, which matches the inflows that Travis is getting from Buchanan. Ultimately, if it had to, the water will just go over Tom Miller, as it's a similar design to Starcke. To put it into perspective, Travis was getting 350k cfs from Starke at the peak this week. Some of the Mansfield and Tom Miller Gates may not even be operational, as they both have project going on to refurbish the the actual gates and the motors that open them.

With 8 Gates open you will see some docks flood, but most homes will be spared on Lake Austin. The only way we have a scenario like Llano and Kingsland is if the water goes over the spillway at Mansfield. That scenario isn't out of the question if we get another 8+" rain event in the watershed. They simply won't be able to let it out fast enough.

Sent from my TA-1004 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Puncher51 View Post
                The bridge is fine. It didn’t get near as high there as it did in Llano. My parents are the camp supervisors at Camp Gene Ashby on Lower Willow Creek road and I was born and raised there. How far down is there place?
                About a mile down lower willow creek rd.. 4 cattle guards to b exact
                They are right at the end where the rd crosses the creek
                U might know them then.. Burkhalters

Comment

Originally posted by Samson View Post
                  Tom Miller Dam can release 107k cfs vs Mansfield 130k cfs. With 8 Gates open, Mansfield will only be around 50k cfs, which matches the inflows that Travis is getting from Buchanan. Ultimately, if it had to, the water will just go over Tom Miller, as it's a similar design to Starcke. To put it into perspective, Travis was getting 350k cfs from Starke at the peak this week. Some of the Mansfield and Tom Miller Gates may not even be operational, as they both have project going on to refurbish the the actual gates and the motors that open them.

With 8 Gates open you will see some docks flood, but most homes will be spared on Lake Austin. The only way we have a scenario like Llano and Kingsland is if the water goes over the spillway at Mansfield. That scenario isn't out of the question if we get another 8+" rain event in the watershed. They simply won't be able to let it out fast enough.

Thank you, great info.

That leaves me wondering why they weren't dumping water from Mansfield earlier as well...

Comment

I'll add that they revised the 100 year floodplain on Travis to 722ft a few years ago, which is 8 feet above the spillway. At the time there were a lot of complaints from people that now had to purchase flood insurance when they were previously deemed safe. I don't think anyone thought that event could possibly happen so soon. Yet here it is knocking on our doorstep...

Comment

Not sure how I havent seen this thread yet. Just went through the whole thing. This event is crazy. Prayers up for everyone affected. In August my family rented a lake house on LBJ, coming from 71 going across the 2900 bridge you take the first right and you couls see the bridge from the back yard. The house was actually pretty high and far back off the water. Just knowing the bridge we used to get to it is gone and possibly the boat house and house being flooded is bind blowing. I was still in the middle of building new kitchen and bathroom cabinets for my grandmothers house from Harvey when we stayed there. My Aunt just built a house in Fredricksburg last year and the river behind her house is up to her back fence, cant remember name of the river but for yall familiar with the area or atleast the winerys there its done the road off 290 you take to go to Fat *** Winery. She has been lucky so far and only lost a table and some chairs they use to sit at the river but its still coming up.Again, thoughts and prayers to all effected. Anyone have any idea on how it is NW of Rocksprings off 55 with all the flooding in Sonora and Junction areas? I saw 41 was closed from 83 to 377 and 377 to I10 was shut down.

Comment

how about longhorn dam in east Austin? its the one dam not run by lcra.
                        and seem to be one that backs things up?

Comment

Excellent info. Thanks!

Comment

Great post.

The Buford fire training tower in downtown Austin (Cesar Chavez between S. 1st and Congress) has a monument next to it with high water marks from Austin's worst floods.

Click image for larger version

Name:	buford tower.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	24556568

Click image for larger version

Name:	flood marker.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	24556569

Comment

Originally posted by waterdog View Post
                              how about longhorn dam in east Austin? its the one dam not run by lcra.
                              and seem to be one that backs things up?
                              It will just run over the spillway, it is not a very big dam that is designed to hold back a bunch of water. It behaves a lot like Inks dam, where it spills over after a 1-2 ft rise except that they do have some gates they can lower to speed up the process.

Stevie Ray statue will probably be under water @ Auditorium shores when the 8 Gates are open.

Comment

Originally posted by Clark View Post
                                Great post.

The Buford fire training tower in downtown Austin (Cesar Chavez between S. 1st and Congress) has a monument next to it with high water marks from Austin's worst floods.

[ATTACH]929464[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]929465[/ATTACH]

1869 and 1913 were the worst floods in La Grange. They were an inch apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X