Galveston area flesh eating bacteria...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Galveston area flesh eating bacteria...

I have been in working along the coast this week and hearing some horrible stories!

I've heard first hand from people who have recently known people that have had to have amputations and many that have had family members that have died within days of contact with Galveston area waters.

One woman I spoke to yesterday lost her husband this Monday after he had only been splashed while fishing in a boat near Texas City Dyke.

Another is in critical condition after swimming off Crystal Beach.

Most disturbing was a young mother that was pregnant, came in contact with the water, then had to have the baby taken from her and have four limbs amputated.

All of these cases went severe within days of contact.

What is going on???

I fished off Bolivar all summer last year and didnt hear this.

Have any of you heard anything?

ewwwwww

Comment

I think those stories are a bit extreme, I would love to see links to news stories.

There IS a bacteria in the gulf waters that can make you very ill and can lead to amputations and death if not treated promptly. It is all over the gulf, not just in Texas. In fact, most of the reports of it have been in Louisiana this year.

A Louisiana man died and three others were sickened after contracting a flesh-eating bacteria, known as Vibrio vulnificus, while swimming in the Gulf of Mexico.

The person who died after being splashed while fishing was an 83 year old guy from Houma, LA.

You pretty much have to have an open wound, swim in the bacteria, then not clean the area in order for infection to set in.

Comment

Originally posted by kfd82 View Post
        I think those stories are a bit extreme, I would love to see links to news stories.

There IS a bacteria in the gulf waters that can make you very ill and can lead to amputations and death if not treated promptly. It is all over the gulf, not just in Texas. In fact, most of the reports of it have been in Louisiana this year.

A Louisiana man died and three others were sickened after contracting a flesh-eating bacteria, known as Vibrio vulnificus, while swimming in the Gulf of Mexico.

The person who died after being splashed while fishing was an 83 year old guy from Houma, LA.

You pretty much have to have an open wound, swim in the bacteria, then not clean the area in order for infection to set in.
        I dont know that is all 100% correct. I have read a lot of stories and it did not make a bit of difference how old you were or if you cleaned it or not. There is a young man here on TBH that survived it because his friend/brother or someone took him the ER as soon as he seen it after learning about Vibro. I would not discount this bacteria to only attacking the old. Been wrong manytimes before could be now. If you have any type of open wound in your skin be it a scratch, hang nail, pimple on your *** i would be careful in the salt in warm months.

Comment

I just got back on Monday. Still got all my flesh. Lucky I guess

Comment

Bleach on all cuts and pokes is what I do after every fishing trip. Don't know how good it would do on vibro but makes me feel better. ..well at least after its done burning!

Comment

Years ago one of the top dogs for Brown & Root out at Shell died within 2 days of getting it in Galveston.
              But it's my understanding that it only gets that bad in people with a compromised immune system,

Comment

Dang, We're headed down there tomorrow! Hopefully we don't get our flesh eaten off as a result. I would call that a disappointing vacation.

Comment

Add a small spray bottle of diluted bleach, peroxide to your box this time of year. Vibrio is no joke. I have never been able to comfortably fish with gloves and Sat. was catching reds all morning. After handling so many fish I managed three good cuts on my hands. A little bleach on each one at least gave me peace of mind.

Comment

Bad stuff for sure....open wounds/cuts and scrapes are bad news nowdays .

Comment

Originally posted by LloydMcCoy View Post
                      I just got back on Monday. Still got all my flesh. Lucky I guess
                      You may be Superman

Comment

Just got back on Tuesday and so far so good.

Comment

The mother of a woman at our church became infected and died a few days later last summer after a trip to Galveston. Found out about it from an elder on our drive down to Galveston for an afternoon at the beach followed by a 12 hr party boat trip with my youth group. Almost sounds like the beginning of a joke, but I didn't think it was very funny...

Comment

Originally posted by Brazman View Post
                            The mother of a woman at our church became infected and died a few days later last summer after a trip to Galveston. Found out about it from an elder on our drive down to Galveston for an afternoon at the beach followed by a 12 hr party boat trip with my youth group. Almost sounds like the beginning of a joke, but I didn't think it was very funny...
                            Yes, She worked for the school district in Huntington.
                            A week or so after she passed away I got Flesh eating bacteria myself BUT I never went to the beach. I have no idea how I got it. it was in a staph looking boil (also had staph). it hurt very bad and was on my lower back. I never go to doctors, but did and after a few weeks of very hard core antibiotics I got over it. It SUCKED. I was pretty much bed ridden for a month as I didn't want to go outside and get sweaty and have it spread. It really did scare me. Thank the good Lord I made a recovery.

Comment

I've been told by a couple of doctors that Hibiclens is a much better option than peroxide or bleach. Some say peroxide or bleach will do nothing to kill the bacteria.

Comment

Working...
                              X