Tx-Burt is finally on board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tx-Burt is finally on board

Well… Tx-Burt is finally “On Board”, no pun intended.
    This young Spike came out about 6:00pm Saturday evening. I was 15’ up in a tree stand, which put him about 18 yards from me. He came straight in from opposite side of the feeder and didn’t give me a good shot, front faced me the whole time. He kept looking up at the feeder like it was going to go off. He must have got pelted by corn in the past. I knew he was going to bust me; I was perfect in line with how he was looking up. I kept looking at a front shoulder shot, place I’d put a scope cross hairs on, but I didn’t like the idea of shooting through the front shoulder. I knew the 101st would have enough muscle, but questioned the Rage 3 blade on the cartilage and possible bone. I knew if I could get a good Heart shot it would take him down. After about 1 minute or two of thinking about it I figured if he gave me a shot I’d take it. He kept looking around like he was going to leave. I said to myself if he gave me a good opportunity I’d take it. He looked up back towards the way he came in, so I lifted up the bow and placed the pin on his front shoulder knowing he would look back at me, which he did, I had 2 seconds to make my decision. Thwack! The arrow went straight into the front shoulder and he took off like a scolded dog. I could see the fletching in the shoulder as he took off, so I knew it wasn’t a pass through, but a perfect shot none the less. I sat there a few minutes, texting the other hunters and waiting to go look for him. Boom, I hear my nephew who shoots an 8 pointer 200 – 300 yards’ away, so I figure I could get out and look where I shot, try to find a blood trail, it was about 20 minutes after I shot and it was starting to get dark. There was absolutely no blood, I was following dirt that he kicked out, but could see a good deer trail/path that he may have went down and sure enough there he was about 60 yards from where I shot him, no blood but a recovery all the same. After cleaning him, sure enough…shot through the heart, my first heart shot. The Rage cut through the opposite side of the hide, but didn’t go all the way through; I never found my arrow either.
    He is a 2.5 YO with 6 3/4 inch long spikes.
    Attached Files

Man congrats! Good read!

Comment

Now that is sho nuff a spike!!
      Congrats on the freezer filling.

Click image for larger version

Name:	VE.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	23906260

Comment

congrats on the spike

Comment

congrats. i've had similar results with that shot. I've learned my lesson.

Comment

Nice spike! Congrats!

Comment

Good tracking job, way to stick with it. Congrats.

Comment

Way to go!

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

congrats

Comment

Congrats on the uprights. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

congrats

Comment

Thumbs up on finally getting on the board.
                            Congrats and KAS.

Comment

Congratulations on the buck.

Comment

Working...
                              X