Halloween Buck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Halloween Buck

On the last day of my Kansas hunt the temperature had climbed to the mid 60's but at least the wind had let up some. I decided to hunt a stand that I had not hunted before. This stand was situated in a small wood lot that was surrounded by fields. To my left was a hay field, to my right was a sunflower and alfalfa field and in front of me was a wheat field.

As I got settled into the stand I was expecting not to see much. As I watched the squirls run from tree to tree and play tag time slowly passed by. My mind was wondering and thinking about all of the gear I had to get packed up so I could get checked out of the hotel in the morning on time.

I checked the time and it was 6 pm. I had one hour left to hunt. As I was thinking about the trip home, I noticed movement out in front of me. It was a doe. She walked right by my stand at 25 yards and headed out to the sunflower field, she was followed by another doe that took the same path as the first doe. The next deer to come down the trail was a 4 point buck. He came down a different trail but eventually worked his way right by my stand and exited the wood lot on the same trail as the does used. Things were starting to look good.

As I watched the deer filter out to the fields, I just knew there had to be a good buck bringing up the rear. As I peered through the woods looking for movement on the trail, I saw some horns! As the horns bobbed back and forth I realized they were heading my way. As the horns got closer I could tell it was a mature buck. He was a wide 8 point! The button buck moved back and gave the 8 point all the room that he needed to feed. The 8 point stopped at 19 yards. It was 6:30 and the clock was ticking. I grabbed my Reezen, clipped on my Tru-Fire release and came to full draw. The vitals of the buck were behind a tree so I leaned out where I could shoot around the tree. I settled my 20 yard pin tight behind the bucks arm pit and squeezed the trigger. THWACK! The arrow disappeared into the buck and he jumped and took off headed back in the direction that he had just come from. I watched him until he disappeared at the fence line. After hunting in 20 to 30 MPH winds, temperature changes from 35 to 65 degrees, and a full moon, it had finally come together on the last hunt of the trip!

As soon as I lost sight of the buck, I began gathering up my stuff so I could get out of the tree and find the deer before it got dark. I had less than 30 minutes until it was dark. I left my pack at the base of the tree and walked to the last spot that I had seen the buck. When he hit the fence line, he turned and followed the fence line. The Muzzy MX 4 really opened him up. Once at the fence I found a massive blood trail that led me to my buck. He had only gone another 50 yards from where I lost sight of him.

This was my first trip to hunt Kansas. When I walked up on the buck, I could not believe how big the buck was. He was every bit of 300 pounds. His head and neck were massive and his horns were thick. He ended up scoring 125 4/8 P&Y. When I shot him I thought he would score a little bit more than that but no mater what the tape says I am very happy with this animal. He makes my second P&Y Buck on video!

Now that the buck was down, I had to get him to the truck. The truck was nearly a mile away and I could not drive into my hunting location with the truck. I was able to get the buck over half way to the truck with my motorcycle. I had to quarter the beast and haul him out on my Badlands 2200 pack the final 500 yards across a muddy plowed field. By the time I got to the truck with the last piece of the deer, my max one camo was coverd from chest to toes in blood. I pulled away from my hunting location headed to the hotel at 11:30 pm. What a work out!!!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Sierra 1; 11-10-2009, 09:27 AM.

Nice! Congrats!

Comment

nice deer congrats

Comment

Good Job James!!!!PJ

Comment

dude, that is a beast! congrats.

Comment

awesome story and nice buck, sounds like you worked hard for that one.

Comment

Good buck - good story. Saw the video this morning. Nice job. Congrats.

Trailboss

Comment

Great story, congrats on an awesome deer

Comment

Nicely done!

Comment

Good-lookin Buck! Great Job!

Comment

Wow what a bruiser, congrats

Comment

congrats

Comment