Tri Tip or Chuck Roast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tri Tip or Chuck Roast?

Got a buddy coming up for work this weekend and looking for an excuse to drink some beer... not that we need one. Typically we will smoke a brisket and vac seal pounds and pounds of leftovers. Figured this time around, I'd do something a little more manageable. We are doing some "poke ribs" one night but need to satisfy the beef fix too...

With the idea of low/slow smoked brisket (S/P + smoke) in mind, which would you prefer?

Tri tip or chuck roast? Been wanting to try each.

Some pics in case anyone is hungry already this AM...

I love a good tri-tip smoked low and slow just like you would a brisket flat!

Comment

I would do tri tip. You might want to do more than one if you want to freeze some leftovers. Two guys drinking beer can rip through a tri tip pretty quick...

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
        I love a good tri-tip smoked low and slow just like you would a brisket flat!
        My sister lives in California and Tri tip is popular and good for bbq
        I like chuck and Tri tip equally well

Comment

tri tip gets my vote.

Comment

Tri-tip all the way. And those ribs look great!

Comment

Tri Tip reverse sear method served medium rare to rare would be my choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

if you want similar to brisket. Go with the chuck roast (also known as the poor mans brisket). Cook it the same as you would a brisket. Tritip is awsome too but I would not compare it to a brisket. Cook it slow till ~120 degrees then sear pulling at 130. Let rest for 10 min. With a tritip make sure you slice correctly. Grain runs different depending where you are on the roast.
                From what you said above I would go with the chuck roast. More time to sit around the fire and drink beer.

Comment

poke ribs and beef ribs... 1/2 smoked, 1/2 fried... slice and they are all finger foods... no forks n knives needed... just beer n napkins and maybe some dippin' sauce! ...I'm jus' sayin'...

Comment

Originally posted by wes View Post
                    if you want similar to brisket. Go with the chuck roast (also known as the poor mans brisket). Cook it the same as you would a brisket. Tritip is awsome too but I would not compare it to a brisket. Cook it slow till ~120 degrees then sear pulling at 130. Let rest for 10 min. With a tritip make sure you slice correctly. Grain runs different depending where you are on the roast.
                    From what you said above I would go with the chuck roast. More time to sit around the fire and drink beer.
                    Have you checked the price of chuck roast lately. Briskets may be high now , but chuck roast have always been much higher per lb. than brisket. Briskets just way much more than an average chuck roast. I would go with the chuck roast though.

Comment

Throw another tri tip for me.

Comment

The last Tri-Tip I smoked I shredded it and made Tacos with it. Added Salsa, Cheese, Sour Cream, and Guacamole. Towards the final Hour I put the avocado halves on the smoker and used those for the guacamole. Turned out great. Might have been the cold drinks or we were starving.

Comment

Originally posted by tpack View Post
                          Have you checked the price of chuck roast lately. Briskets may be high now , but chuck roast have always been much higher per lb. than brisket. Briskets just way much more than an average chuck roast. I would go with the chuck roast though.
                          yea it was about the overall cost not the cost per pound.

Comment

I have smoked Tri Tip and it’s great.
                            My favorite way is to sous vide then sear on a hot grill or fire pit with mesquite
                            Another way and this is how I do prime rib
                            Is smoke till about 100deg then vacuum seal and sous vide to desired temp then sear comes out awesome and has the smoke flavor.

Comment

I love tri-tip but grew up with it over a santa maria style pit, if it's over medium rare its over cooked. Slice thin and toss it in a kaiser roll with jalapenos the next day

Comment

Working...
                              X