Is it worth shooting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it worth shooting?

I obtained a Marlin mod 1894- micro groove carbine .357mag from my grandfather. The gun is original still in box and never been fired, or even loaded for that matter. Also. This is an old one, likely 30-40years old. JM stamped

The gun will never be sold and I would love to shoot something with it one day so shooting it doesnt bother me.... HOWEVER, I know these are collectors so I have to ask... is it worth keeping in original condition for the nostalgia, or use it is as the tool it was made to do.

Opinions?

Wow!!!!

That’s a tough one.

If I wasn’t going to sell it, I’d shoot the heck out of it.

If I thought I might, I’d probably leave it be.

Comment

i'd kill something with it. You can baby it, but it's still a gun...not art.

(Meaning you can baby it while still shooting/hunting with it)
      Last edited by TxAg; 03-11-2020, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Tools are meant to be used

Comment

if you never are going to sell it. don't just look at it, use it!

Comment

Why did your grandpa not shoot it?

Comment

There’s zero reason not to shoot it if you’ll never sell it.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                Why did your grandpa not shoot it?

Likely an impulse buy (most of his guns) and stored it away to be forgotten until I found it under a pile of other hunting junk he bought through the years.

Comment

Shoot a tasty critter with it. While you’re at it you should get a really nice .357 revolver to go with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Easttxbowman View Post
                    Likely an impulse buy (most of his guns) and stored it away to be forgotten until I found it under a pile of other hunting junk he bought through the years.
                    I would keep the box and all the wrappers and paper work for sure because those are worth money. My personal opinion would be not to shoot it because I have better calibers to hunt with, but I doubt in your lifetime an unfired Marlin 357 magnum in the box would be worth 10,000.00 so go take it out and have fun with it. Just keep it in like new shape.

Comment

Mint. Still in box. Family. And I am sure you have other guns you can shoot.

Let your grand kids, who have a rare item once bequeathed to them, enjoy the rarity as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

A few years back my dad bought a 2nd gen Colt SAA new in the box unfired. Supposed the guy he got it from got it from his dad I believe, maybe grandpa. But anyway the next day dad and I went and shot it, I asked him why he shot it he said if no one else wanted to enjoy it then he d@mn sure was. Sitting in a safe won't make any memories take it out and enjoy it and make some memories.

Comment

Shoot it

Comment

Originally posted by MUZZYSLINGR View Post
                            Shoot a tasty critter with it. While you’re at it you should get a really nice .357 revolver to go with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                            can we get a like button...please!!

Comment

Shoot it take care of it save the box first year productionwas 1979

Comment

Working...
                              X