Timed vs free choice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timed vs free choice?

We are buying 5 hammer lower timed protein units to put on some feeders we have already. Our thoughts are to feed free choice during the off season and then start going timed during season. I've read a lot where guys swear by timed all year long so just wondering what everyone's thoughts are? Thanks

The purpose of protein is to supplement their diet so they can receive the most nutrition possible, why restrict that? There are several threads on this subject if you look around, but I am not a believer in timed protein feeders. Only benefit is if you are on a budget and want to make your feed last longer, but on the flip side how much are they actually benefiting from this?

Comment

I feel like with free choice I'd be feeding the coons all night. I think timed is the way to go. Daylight feedings only.

Some folks will be along shortly saying "if you're not doing free choice you're wasting your time".

Comment

Some benefits to timed feeders IMO are:

You can train the deer to eat when you want them to. Preferably daylight hours.
        Setting them to feed in the mornings will help reduce loss to raccoons.
        You can control how much you feed and can budget accordingly.

Not everyone can afford to let deer eat as much as they want anytime they want. Some supplementary feed is better than none at all.

Comment

there are several threads here about it with the experiences of others. Hammer has one in particular that is full of good info to start with. I have had several of them for a few years now and couldn't be happier. My deer herd keeps improving.

Comment

Our biggest thoughts for going to timed protein was to still attract deer to our pastures during season bc no one around us feeds protein during season. We have tossed the idea around about feeding truly free choice during off season and then also talked about shutting feeders off right after dark too.

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
              The purpose of protein is to supplement their diet so they can receive the most nutrition possible, why restrict that? There are several threads on this subject if you look around, but I am not a believer in timed protein feeders. Only benefit is if you are on a budget and want to make your feed last longer, but on the flip side how much are they actually benefiting from this?
              x2!

He nailed it..Free choice.

Comment

Free choice is best unless you have Aoudads because they will eat 1000 pounds iin a week free choice

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                  x2!

He nailed it..Free choice.
                  Total Agreement! I want them to eat as much as they want and whenever they want. . .

Comment

For spring/summer you should go free choice if you can afford it.

Comment

We've obviously been using the Hammer longer than anyone. Since 2012 to be exact. We hunt a 20K LF ranch and our designated pasture for the last 7 years is +/- 300 acres. We feed 2000# per month (double the ranch requirement) and probably have the best B&C average on the ranch for those years, consistently taking old deer with our bows. We draw 'em in and grow 'em big, year in and year out.

2017 buck

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171001_080738 - Copy.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	24523276
                      Last edited by hammer63; 12-20-2017, 12:33 PM.

Comment

My goal is to supplement their diet, not provide their only source of food. If you can afford free choice protein, that's great, but at $10-$12 per 50 pounds, that is gonna get expensive REAL quick.

I set mine to open for 3-4 hours in the morning and 3-4 hours in the afternoon. It IS free choice, as long as they get there during those hours. The gate is open and they can eat as much as they want. However, when the gate closes, that leaves 3-4 pounds in the tube for what comes along, or for raccoons to eat/waste. If you wanted, you could leave it open during daylight hours, and shut down at night.

I simply can't afford to feed free choice all day long for the deer, and all night for the raccoons. If I was running a high fence game ranch, I might feel differently, but for low fence game, that's what I do.
                        Last edited by Abctx; 12-20-2017, 12:57 PM.

Comment

I think you have a good plan and I will be trying it this year also. I think a lot of people didn’t read where the OP planned free choice through off season and timed only during deer season. Makes no sense to feed free choice during season to me

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                            I think you have a good plan and I will be trying it this year also. I think a lot of people didn’t read where the OP planned free choice through off season and timed only during deer season. Makes no sense to feed free choice during season to me
                            Yes I agree! I must have missed that part

If I had timed I would leave it open Jan- Sept 1 then during daylight hours only if you planned on feeding during season

Comment

Originally posted by Abctx View Post
                              My goal is to supplement their diet, not provide their only source of food. If you can afford free choice protein, that's great, but at $10-$12 per 50 pounds, that is gonna get expensive REAL quick.

I set mine to open for 3-4 hours in the morning and 3-4 hours in the afternoon. It IS free choice, as long as they get there during those hours. The gate is open and they can eat as much as they want. However, when the gate closes, that leaves 3-4 pounds in the tube for what comes along, or for raccoons to eat/waste. If you wanted, you could leave it open during daylight hours, and shut down at night.

I simply can't afford to feed free choice all day long for the deer, and all night for the raccoons. If I was running a high fence game ranch, I might feel differently, but for low fence game, that's what I do.
                              How long have you been doing this? Do you see mature(older) bucks during the daylight hours?

Comment

Working...
                              X