No announcement yet.

School Shootings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the main objective for most people is to keep guns out of schools, not arm people inside of schools.

The one entrance/exit with metal detector and police officers at the entrance/exit would be a good deterrent to keep guns from entering schools. The issue there is funding.

I think there are somewhere around 1500 schools just in Texas, metal detectors are around $5k each (which each school will need multiple), and the average police officer makes around $40k a year. That's a good chunk of change.

Comment

Seems like there's too many of these mass shootings where the shooter was profiled by the FBI and no actions were taken.

The FBI was warned in September about a possible school shooting threat from a YouTube user with the same name as the suspect in Wednesday’s campus massacre in Parkland, Florida, according to a video blogger.

Comment

There is no data at this point to back up large spread cc among teachers. It's speculation. Arguments against it are the same. And cheaper, and more implementable and and and...

Comment

Originally posted by TexMax View Post
          Yeah. I'm very serious. That's exactly the attitude i was referencing. The possibility of saving me and mine at the expense of 20 others in some hypothetical situation.
          I don't want you killing my kid trying to save your kid

Comment

Originally posted by justin81 View Post
            I think the main objective for most people is to keep guns out of schools, not arm people inside of schools.

The one entrance/exit with metal detector and police officers at the entrance/exit would be a good deterrent to keep guns from entering schools. The issue there is funding.

I think there are somewhere around 1500 schools just in Texas, metal detectors are around $5k each (which each school will need multiple), and the average police officer makes around $40k a year. That's a good chunk of change.
            Problem is we spend 10x that expense on sport and stadiums. Money has special interest tool and you see where the major interest is...

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
              I don't want you killing my kid trying to save your kid
              Nor would I. If I kill yours or mine to save one. Was that worth it

Comment

Originally posted by Spearchunker View Post
                Problem is we spend 10x that expense on sport and stadiums. Money has special interest tool and you see where the major interest is...
                that is 100% fact

Comment

Nor would I. If I kill yours or mine to save one. Was that worth it
                  Not to me.
                  I'm selfish.
                  I'm just being flat out honest.
                  I'll let a hundred other kids die before I let one of my kids die.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                    How many armed LEO hit the streets every day? How many of them have gone haywire?

How many LTC citizens hit the streets everyday? How many have gone haywire?
                    This is very true but there are the occasional cases (that doesn't happen very much) where someone does lash out, the point is you never know what another person is thinking or going through, so theres never a solid solution to this problem.

Comment

Just got a email from my daughters school, they are doing a lockdown drill tomorrow. It's a tough pill to swallow that these are necessary now.

Comment

Originally posted by justin81 View Post

As a business owner I can promise you I can find more than enough in City, Cnty, School budgets to fund school security. Find it amazing schools will build 50+ million dollar stadiums then turn around and say we can't afford paying for school police officers. It's not a high priority because it's likely not going to happen. The officials are willing to play the odds and roll the dice.

Comment

I had an idea.

The libs should put their money where their mouth is. I say get Sarah McLaughlin to do a poor pity shootings infomercial and take money to start a buy back program. Then melt the metals and sell the scrap.

I sickens me the people that donate a monthly contribution for pets. We have much bigger issue than a **** sick cat.

Comment

Originally posted by Spearchunker View Post
                            It's the new world. Your nuts and head in the sand if you think we can do anything about.

Everyday kids die of drugs. We have every law and agency fighting drugs already. But yet more and more die.

Imo it's on us to teach and train or kids how to say no and run fast.
                            I kind of agree with these statements. Bottom line, crazy people are going to do crazy things and there's only so much that can be done.

I think metal detectors could at least be a start for many schools. I know it won't solve this issue per say, but it's something tangible that could be done. Lack of funds is a pathetic excuse considering some of the crud these school districts purchase.

This may sound terrible and these schools shootings really are a tragedies; however, high school aged kids die everyday for many other reasons. Many in car crashes alone. Guess what I'm saying is, these school shootings really leave a mark on everyone, but in reality, the average high school student has a higher chance of getting killed on his/her way to school than by an active shooter on campus.

I also really think the media and politicians need to stop sensationalizing these events. No question, these perps know the spot light it will bring on them.

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
                              Not to me.
                              I'm selfish.
                              I'm just being flat out honest.
                              I'll let a hundred other kids die before I let one of my kids die.
                              I guess that is just the difference i was referencing among ourselves. And to me that makes any argument you could make irrelevant and the fore front of the issue. Selfishness. Those are 100 other people's kid's just like yours.

Comment

Yeah. I'm very serious. That's exactly the attitude i was referencing. The possibility of saving me and mine at the expense of 20 others in some hypothetical situation.
                                I would be heart broken either way but for me I would be more at peace knowing my daughter was killed by accident while a teacher was fighting to save her than knowing my daughter was sluaghtered like defenseless sheep. But that's just me.

Comment

Working...
                                X