Let's talk 6.5 Grendel hunting rounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's talk 6.5 Grendel hunting rounds

I just put my Grendel together last night and just for fun let's talk bullets!
    My build is:
    20" shilen barrel with matching bolt 1/9
    Psa upper/lower
    Psa lpk with Jp fire control
    Magpul furniture with 15" key mod hand guard
    Optics for the time being vortex crossfire 6-18x44 in a Burris mount.

I currently have some 123 gr eld amp from hornady and some hand loaded 125gr partitions. I got barrel and bolt from a member here and his test targets looked very promising with both rounds. I do reload so I won't be buying shelf ammo. Rifle will be used for texas sized game probably just at average distance 400 yards and in. I have a 260 for the further shots.

I will look it up when I get home.

I shoot 120gr NBT with CFE223 and am getting 1 hole groups with exceptional performance. Remember that the Grendel has lower velocities and does not blow up bad with weaker bullets.

Comment

I'm using the .123g SST in mine. I have a box of ELD but have not taken time to see how it is next to the SST. I know the the AMAX dont hold as tight a group and the SST do.

Comment

I've got to give props to the Hornady Black 123gr ELD Match. Specs on the box show it around 2580fps, but out of my 12.5" barrel I calculated it around 2300fps. It has been spot on in its 2 hog kills at 220yds and 381yds. I will be using it some this rifle season, so we will see how it performs then as well. I'm expecting the same results on deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by lglidewell View Post
          I've got to give props to the Hornady Black 123gr ELD Match. Specs on the box show it around 2580fps, but out of my 12.5" barrel I calculated it around 2300fps. It has been spot on in its 2 hog kills at 220yds and 381yds. I will be using it some this rifle season, so we will see how it performs then as well. I'm expecting the same results on deer.

Sounds like a good choice! I got around to shooting mine today and it wouldn't pattern at all I'm thinking I've got a scope or mount issue. Gun cycled perfectly every shot but seems as if the scope wasn't tracking or holding zero.

Comment

My load is 120NBT over 31.4gr CFE 223 at magazine length. Shoots lights out for me

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
              My load is 120NBT over 31.4gr CFE 223 at magazine length. Shoots lights out for me
              What velocity are you seeing?

Comment

Alright figured out what was up with my gun the barrel but backed off a little bit got it all fixed up and now shooting 3/4" groups at 100 feels pretty good!

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
                  Alright figured out what was up with my gun the barrel but backed off a little bit got it all fixed up and now shooting 3/4" groups at 100 feels pretty good!
                  Good to hear!!

Comment

Bump

Comment

Buddy Brian running 123 SST.
                      Dropped a nice boar at 420-430 yard Range.

Comment

Ed if that is the Brian I know that shoots a Grendel he has killed a lot of hogs with the 123gr SST and tested quite a few other bullets some with good results some not as good.

A-Max and ELD-M not as good, they can work and work better at longer ranges. SST solid track record as do 100 and 125gr partitions and 120 Ballistic tips. 130gr Siroccos, 130gr Nosler Accubond and 129gr LR Accubond, Hornady 129gr SST, 130 Breger VLD Hunting.

Monometal bullets the Barnes TTX and Hornady GMX have done well over the years for many and there is a new player in that area Cavity back Bullets that are doing good on hogs.

The second volume of the Grendel handbook available at http://www.arbuildbox.com is geared toward hunting with the Grendel, bullet selection and reloading data.
                        Last edited by kmon; 10-29-2017, 08:12 PM.

Comment

The Grendel is not a crazy round. Kinda slow so the SST and the Ballistic tip are going to give you your best expansion. Bonded bullets probably aren’t going to open up much.

Comment

The Long range accubond opens down to 1300fps and expands very well at Grendel velocities but still penetrates deep. The accubond and Sirocco also expand well down to 1900 fps and real good at 2000fps so depending on barrel length will work in the Grendel.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                              The Grendel is not a crazy round. Kinda slow so the SST and the Ballistic tip are going to give you your best expansion. Bonded bullets probably aren’t going to open up much.

This is on the money from what I have seen in the real world.

Comment

Working...
                              X