Darrells inspired mini air boat build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Darrells inspired mini air boat build

Funny story....I have two threads floating around on the forum that one failed and one was uncompleted. I was going to build a short tail mud motor but ended up getting a way bigger boat than I thought I was going to get so I abanded the project. I've had an 18hp lawn mower engine just sitting in my garage for a year and a half. The other thread was a failed foam kayak thread. I used the wrong type of fiberglass and it melted the foam...

With all that said I saw Darrells' thread about mini airboat the other and got interested because I have the 18hp engine laying around. The more I got to thinking about and researching it, I got more and more interested. The cool thing is I found some people were building it out of wood and fiberglassing it. Well I build houses so I have an unlimited supply scrap wood. I still have a lot of fiberglass material left over from failed kayak build. They also said they would build the cage out of emt conduit and I have some left from my duck boat overhaul thread where I built a blind.

So I have 90% of the materials just chilling in my garage and decided to give it a shot.

I bought lake buggy plans for $12 just to get an idea of side measurements. I decided to go with treated 2x8's for the sides and back. In the plans it uses some other materials. But I figured it would just be easy to go with treated 2x8's for sturdyness. I'm going to do 2-2x4 treated stringers to help with reinforcement. Then I will use 1/4 plywood for the bottom. Once it's all together I'm going to use left over fiberglass cloth on the corners of the sides where they meet the plywood. Then I will use fiberglass resin to cover the rest of the bottom and sides. To save on weight, the inside I will caulk, primer with killz(a couple coats), then probably use a couple cans of flex seal for good measure. In my head, it all should work just as well.

Then I'll weld the cage, and motor mounts, and I am waiting on what the prop guys suggest to buy the prop. Should be a fun project!

Sounds a lot like the first jon boat I built and got titled with TP&W, so I could go duck hunting. Only I used 1x12x12' for the sides. And 1/2" for the bottom. 2x6 for the transom and bow. No stringers.

Good luck on your build.
    Last edited by Texas Grown; 06-13-2017, 09:40 PM.

Comment

nice

Comment

Will either be a great build or an epic failure.......Im in to see the final product. Sounds like it may actually work.

Comment

So my phone died before I started cutting the sides. So I cut the sides and transom and screwed them together and screwed the plywood sheet on the bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I notched the transom and sides to allow me to put 3" deck screws and have them going a few different directions. The last thing I wanted was to hit a log or something a certain way and the screws start pulling loose. On every joint I have run a bead of waterproof wood glue in hopes to seal that wood. On the bottom, I used 1" 3/4 deck screws. On the transom I did it every 3-4" and on the sides I did every 6-8" until the slope picked up and went back to every 3-4". Again, lots of wood glue.

Comment

Flipped over, starting to look like a small boat!

Comment

Just got done adding the stringers. Glued and screwed them in as well. Manage to miss the stringer in a couple places, but I will use Bondo to fill it in. Need to make a scrap material run at the job sites tomorrow. I want to get a 2x8 to put on the front as a brush bumper and add a couple more 2x4's to brace the stringers.

As it sits right now I can pick it up by myself on the sides. My guess would be somewhere around 100lbs. My motor weighs about 70lbs and I weigh 200lbs. So this boat probably won't be fast by any means.

Comment

Great job so far. I have watched many vids of the lake buggies. They seem to work good.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by texan16 View Post
                    Will either be a great build or an epic failure.......Im in to see the final product. Sounds like it may actually work.
                    It'll work.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Hi fellas that sounds interesting and we dont have anything like it here in tasmania Australia but i can see possibilitys in a project like that and it could be made lighter using epoxy glass ply using stitch n glue

Sent from my ZTE T84 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by sniperfishn View Post
                        Hi fellas that sounds interesting and we dont have anything like it here in tasmania Australia but i can see possibilitys in a project like that and it could be made lighter using epoxy glass ply using stitch n glue

Sent from my ZTE T84 using Tapatalk

In an environment where there is sand and water I would think stitch and glue would work. Where I would take this thing it needs to be really sturdy due to tree stumps so I went with 2x material.

Comment

built one of the lake buggys years ago, it will work,
                          just remember one thing weight is your biggest enemy.
                          ron

Comment

I hope you know how to calculate for center of gravity. I was at the boat ramp one summer when a few fellows show up with a home made air boat? It was a deep sided 14 ft jon boat modified to air boat. they had vw bug engine on a mount with cage, prop etc etc. I asked if they figured center of gravity as it looked tail heavy by design. they laughed and said they will be up front to offset weight of engine and fuel. when they backed into water and slid off trailer, the transom sank to the water line while trying to stand nose up in the water . one guy jumped from dock to the front seat and the tail went under and the boat sank to the bottom in 4 ft of water. I just smiled sipped my beer and said that looks like a hell of a job to get it on the trailer again.

Comment

Originally posted by bronco611 View Post
                              I hope you know how to calculate for center of gravity. I was at the boat ramp one summer when a few fellows show up with a home made air boat? It was a deep sided 14 ft jon boat modified to air boat. they had vw bug engine on a mount with cage, prop etc etc. I asked if they figured center of gravity as it looked tail heavy by design. they laughed and said they will be up front to offset weight of engine and fuel. when they backed into water and slid off trailer, the transom sank to the water line while trying to stand nose up in the water . one guy jumped from dock to the front seat and the tail went under and the boat sank to the bottom in 4 ft of water. I just smiled sipped my beer and said that looks like a hell of a job to get it on the trailer again.

Trial and error. There is a development I'm building in that has drainage that has 4-8" of water in it all times. That will be my test lake.

Comment

Working...
                              X