No announcement yet.

Mud terrain for rock roads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooper STT Maxx or Pros hold up very well, they ride rough and don’t wear to well, but they were tougher than heck, I had both and each got 70K and had no chunks missing but I couldn’t stand the way they ride.

I’m running Toto MT right now, can’t say how they hold up compared to the others as I’ve only had them for 8K miles so far

Comment

My Uncle lives outside Utopia, TX and has a long rock driveway. He goes through tires like skittles. He says the absolute best are Toyo. He and most of his neighbors run Toyo AT's and MT's as they last longer than the rest. Note, they still don't last long. Rocks will chew up tires.

Comment

I pump wells everyday and drive about 150 miles a day, I'd say 50% of that is horrible gravel roads, and between myself and several other guys, cooper is about the best tire I've ran. I like the cooper AT3 its just an all terrain. I got 32k out of my last set. This is on a chevy 3/4 ton with a flatbed. I like the ST Maxx also, but they are a little higher. A co worker likes the stt pro, but they're even higher.

I don't reccomend Goodyear duratracs or bfg's

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Also I keep my tire pressure around 60psi. They don't chip as bad.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

If you will notice, on the sidewall of a cooper st max or stt pro it will say “armor tek carcass construction” those sidewalls and tread are super thick and tough.

Comment

Yokohama Geolander

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

NOT BFG A/T KO2's or whatever they're called... I put a brand new set on my ranch truck when I took it to Del Rio. It pretty much stayed on the ranch other than trips to town to load feed. At 8,000 miles, they were so chewed up, they wouldn't pass inspection. 3 of the 4 had belt separations because they just could not handle the rough rocky roads. Granted some of the things we called "roads" were a stretch. I took one back to Discount Tire where I bought them when I had a belt separation. The guy looked at it and asked me how many miles... I said less than 5K... those rocks on our roads are tough... His comment cracked me up... "... well maybe they should call these "some terrain tires" instead of all-terrain...

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                  NOT BFG A/T KO2's or whatever they're called... I put a brand new set on my ranch truck when I took it to Del Rio. It pretty much stayed on the ranch other than trips to town to load feed. At 8,000 miles, they were so chewed up, they wouldn't pass inspection. 3 of the 4 had belt separations because they just could not handle the rough rocky roads. Granted some of the things we called "roads" were a stretch. I took one back to Discount Tire where I bought them when I had a belt separation. The guy looked at it and asked me how many miles... I said less than 5K... those rocks on our roads are tough... His comment cracked me up... "... well maybe they should call these "some terrain tires" instead of all-terrain...
                  That’s wild, because my Duramax has a set of these pushing 60k and I’m thinking of replacing them just because they are getting loud, not because they are really worn out. I hunt in Comstock and have a long drive down a terrible road, which I’ve done countless times, usually pulling heavy trailers. I’ve been nothing but impressed with these tires. (Granted, they see mostly Highway when I’m not hunting).

Comment

After working oilfield 17 years Coopers are the only tire I will ever run.....They hold up better than any other tire I have ran. I always got 55K-65K out of their MT's. I was religious about rotating and balancing them though.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhntrmatt View Post
                      That’s wild, because my Duramax has a set of these pushing 60k and I’m thinking of replacing them just because they are getting loud, not because they are really worn out. I hunt in Comstock and have a long drive down a terrible road, which I’ve done countless times, usually pulling heavy trailers. I’ve been nothing but impressed with these tires. (Granted, they see mostly Highway when I’m not hunting).

I just put another set of 'em on my ranch truck 2 weeks ago because they had recently replaced one under warranty. I had to bring my truck home for some pre-season maintenance and took it to Discount Tire and had them put new ones all around. I'm no longer hunting that rocky terrain so I figured they'd be OK for the sand and mud in South Texas, but I'd never have put them back on my truck if I was using it in a rocky area. The guys at Discount Tire couldn't believe the mileage those tires had on 'em until they looked them up in their computer... I also upgraded to Load Range E instead of D too. That should help too.

Edit to add: When I was in Del Rio (south of town along the river) some of our roads were steep up/downhill 4WD "roads", but the guys rutting Nitto or Toyo tires fared much better than I did.
                      Last edited by SaltwaterSlick; 09-08-2020, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Bfg all terrains ko
                        I work in rock quarries and they are the best tire I can find. I get a new set every 10-12 months.

Comment

Great info guys thanks!

Comment

Working...
                          X