No announcement yet.

Another tipping question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone tip their landscaper? Or banker? Why do we tip some jobs but not others?

I hear it is racist anyway.

Comment

Tip.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
        If I hired someone as a guide and he was sole employee and getting the whole fee, I would not feel the need to tip. I'm sure he has his price set at what he needs to make.

This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed323 View Post
          Why is tipping such a difficult Topic? Tip what you think is appropriate no matter if you're hunting or eating at a restaurant.

Originally posted by Randy View Post
          (Que the don't tip him because you are already paying him for doing his job crowd.. )
          But feel free to complain when the people they don't tip do the bare minimum.

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
          Wellllll, there is some truth to that. Tipping is out of control in this country.
          Yes, a lot of tipping is out of control.

I always think people should think about the trip. Know what's included and what's not. Then tip accordingly. If food is not included, trip is from 7am-3pm then you get there early and he fishes hard from 6:30am to 4pm AFTER you catch and release more than you thought and he feeds you...then tip really good.

Originally posted by Rick View Post
          If I hired someone as a guide and he was sole employee and getting the whole fee, I would not feel the need to tip. I'm sure he has his price set at what he needs to make.
          So you would rather him hire a super cheap guide that doesn't work near as hard as he would so you would feel compelled to tip him?

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
            Anyone tip their landscaper? Or banker? Why do we tip some jobs but not others?

I hear it is racist anyway.

https://www.motherjones.com/environm...araman-forked/
            Maybe because you pay the landscaper to cut the grass. It's either cut or not cut. He can't cut it extra good for you. And it doesn't involve giving entertainment.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
              Maybe because you pay the landscaper to cut the grass. It's either cut or not cut. He can't cut it extra good for you. And it doesn't involve giving entertainment.
              That's a bad example. If the landscaper doesn't do a good job, you hire a new one. Same with your banker. In a service-based industry, if your service provider isn't performing to your standards, you just find a new one.

If a guy runs his own guiding business, by himself, then he should have figured the "tip" into his fees.

Comment

I don't think you should automatically tip....especially if it is bad service. I kinda look at it like this.....if they do a good job and I plan on going back to them or recommending them to someone, they deserve a tip. How much depends on the level of service.

Fact: Hot waitress gets a better tip...just because.

Comment

Originally posted by quackadikt View Post
                  That's a bad example. If the landscaper doesn't do a good job, you hire a new one. Same with your banker. In a service-based industry, if your service provider isn't performing to your standards, you just find a new one.

If a guy runs his own guiding business, by himself, then he should have figured the "tip" into his fees.
                  So why should he not figure in the tip when he hires someone to guide for him?

Originally posted by LWC View Post
                  I don't think you should automatically tip....especially if it is bad service. I kinda look at it like this.....if they do a good job and I plan on going back to them or recommending them to someone, they deserve a tip. How much depends on the level of service.

What if she flirts with you when your wife is with you? That's an extra 10% tip

Comment

Originally posted by LWC View Post

Fact : Hot waitress with attitude don’t get squat! To me all about a persons attitude, attentiveness , details, prep work, equipment,,,

Comment

Because if the employees have no incentive to "do their best" then it reflects on the business owner and he loses the business. Tip included means he doesn't have to work as hard to provide the best experience possible to the client. The only one to suffer would be the owner

Either way, I am one of those who feels tipping has gotten out of control. There is a stinking tip jar at the drive thru at Starbucks. Why? Why isn't there one at any of the fast food drive thrus?

Tips were designed for the employees to help supplement their income for lower paying jobs. An owner making all the profit shouldn't need to supplement his income. If he is, he's not a good businessman.
                      Last edited by rladner; 06-22-2018, 02:19 PM.

Comment

So you would rather him hire a super cheap guide that doesn't work near as hard as he would so you would feel compelled to tip him?
                        The OP said that the guide is the owner and guide. He is not hiring anyone to guide for him. If he is the owner and guide, I would think he would work hard...or not have a business for long. I would hope he has his fee set at what he needs to make, otherwise I would say he is not a very good businessman.

Comment

Because -
                          1) Tips aren't mandatory
                          2) If, as a business owner, you feel like you deserve an extra $50 for your service, you should charge for it up front rather than panhandle for it.
                          3) See #1

I really hate that folks feel tipping is required and mandatory, to the point of it being on every outfitters page REMINDING you that tips sure are nice. Just put it in the dadgum fee up front. I don't want to have to tip someone for doing their job. Nobody's ever tipped me for doing my job over the years...nobody has ever tipped my wife for helping their kid get through college.

Why should I pay you $1,000 to come shoot deer off your place and then tip you another $100?

Why should the OP pay the business owner and sole employee $X and then tip him even more after he's paid for the guides services?

I'm not saying I don't tip, because I do. Just put me in the "it's gotten way out of hand" crowd.

Comment

I only tip if I want to or think I had good service... it can be anywhere I’ve tipped busboys before and not my waitress at the restaurant, I get the busboy deserves a tip when he brings me a drink that the waitress won’t.

This is how I see it rather it be a guide or restaurant, your paying for a service that’s all I’m obligated to pay if some one goes above and beyond and I feel like it I’ll tip. It’s extra and should never be expected.

Comment

I'm not sure it should matter if they are owner of the business or a hired guide. If the going rate for striper/gulf/bay fishing...whatever.....is $500 per trip. Because that is the going rate in the area for the trip. Are you going to pay $600 total because they are a hired guide and only $500 to the man that owns his operation? Seems like a person would tip (if they feel like it) if the service is over and above. Wouldn't matter to me if they are owner or not.

Comment

Depends, where are you fishing? If you're at a one man show in Belize, Bahamas or Mexico, I'd probably tip a little. If you're in the states, no.

We paid $100 a day per boat for two guides a few weeks ago in Punta Allen, Mx. Bonefish, permit and tarpon. Guides were excellent.

At Lake Pichachos or Comedero, typically pay $40 a boat for tips. All depends on location and set-up.

There are a couple of spots in the Bahamas where I contract direct with the guide and set up lodging myself. I tip, but no where near what I'd tip to a contracted guide at a lodge. Why, I know what the contract guys are receiving versus an independent.

Comment

Working...
                                X