New hog poisoning process

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
    Sport hunting will never control the hog population. The state dropped the ball on this one years ago and now landowners are reaping the "rewards". My friend and myself kill every hog we see during deer season, we night hunt them over corn, and every time I'm down there I slip around in the golf cart and kill one every now and then. Ain't made a dent in them trapping and shooting. I don't know what the answer is, but ARs and AKs ain't it ! One shot, one pig, and they're gone !

I have killed my share too. I will argue that mankind has shown and proven with prejudice that it can wipe out any animal on this planet in a short amount of time as sad as this is. Ex: Buffaloes, if not for management would be extinct. Musk Ox, hunted to almost extinction until managed. Passenger Pigeons was the most abundant bird in the world until it was hunted to extinction by the 20th century. Used to fly across our skies in flocks of billions. Tasmanian devil are extinct because of protecting livestock. Caspian Tigers! The list is long and sad but is very possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jbhunting39 View Post
      I have killed my share too. I will argue that mankind has shown and proven with prejudice that it can wipe out any animal on this planet in a short amount of time as sad as this is. Ex: Buffaloes, if not for management would be extinct. Musk Ox, hunted to almost extinction until managed. Passenger Pigeons was the most abundant bird in the world until it was hunted to extinction by the 20th century. Used to fly across our skies in flocks of billions. Tasmanian devil are extinct because of protecting livestock. Caspian Tigers! The list is long and sad but is very possible.

To my knowledge, none of the animals you mentioned had 2.5 litters per year of 6 to ten babies. That's the difference.

Comment

Letting me in there with my son. My Sks or AK, his AR and couple hundred rounds.

Still not an effective option, I'm not for poisoning but that won't work either, on our place you could go out on a weekend and shoot 100 each night and not put a dent in it

Comment

Need to figure out how to feed themsomething that sterilize both sexes, they eventually die out

Comment

As a hunter-gatherer*enjoying food obtained by foraging (collecting wild plants and pursuing wild animals) regardless of some being a nuisance, I don't want to stop eating delicious lean pork. It's disturbing worrying that landowners around me are feeding poison. I doubt a pig that eats poison across a property line will die instantly and can easily walk out in front of me. With the poison potential, it will make me less interested in shooting any if I am not feeling it's safe to eat.

"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind."

Comment

Originally posted by bjsexpress View Post
              As a hunter-gatherer*enjoying food obtained by foraging (collecting wild plants and pursuing wild animals) regardless of some being a nuisance, I don't want to stop eating delicious lean pork. It's disturbing worrying that landowners around me are feeding poison. I doubt a pig that eats poison across a property line will die instantly and can easily walk out in front of me. With the poison potential, it will make me less interested in shooting any if I am not feeling it's safe to eat.

Do you eat bacon?

Comment

Originally posted by JeffK View Post
                Do you eat bacon?
                As much as possible. Should I be concerned its being poisoned? ? I know many people just shoot pigs and let them feed the buzzards and coyote, but I like making breakfast pan sausage out of them... I actually mix 80/20 bacon... best pan sausage.That's why having people poisoning free range pork sucks in my opinion and think it's a shame this is the route it's going, I wouldn't vote for that.

Comment

Originally posted by bjsexpress View Post
                  As much as possible. Should I be concerned its being poisoned? ? I know many people just shoot pigs and let them feed the buzzards and coyote, but I like making breakfast pan sausage out of them... I actually mix 80/20 bacon... best pan sausage.That's why having people poisoning free range pork sucks in my opinion and think it's a shame this is the route it's going, I wouldn't vote for that.

The poison being discussed is the same poison being used to cure bacon and ham.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                    To my knowledge, none of the animals you mentioned had 2.5 litters per year of 6 to ten babies. That's the difference.
                    This........ you can't shoot them fast enough. The best thing you can do is out a bunch of pressure on them and pray they move to the next property.

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
                      Everyone hates hogs until solutions are put on the table to test...
                      Agreed. Pro's and con's to everything. I would like to read more about it for sure.

Comment

Letting me in there with my son. My Sks or AK, his AR and couple hundred rounds.

I have killed 13 since the 1st, and had a group of about 20 in my pasture last night. I could hear at least 3 different group in different directions. I kill A LOT of pigs, and cant tell if I am even making a dent. WE NEED POISON!!!!!!

Comment

I used to run hog dogs 2-3 times a week. We also ran about 40 traps and shot any hog on site. probably killed/trapped well over 500 every year. Farmers still had to hire helicopters and still cant keep up with them. So no hunting, trapping and dogin is not going to work.

This poison may work. I need to read up on it a little more. Looks like its is just Salt peter, which is in a lot of sausages and hams. I think one of the better points on this poison is that, if a hog doesn't get a lethal dose it basically metabolizes and goes away.

Comment

Just a thought....If I ever lease my land for pig hunting it will be upfront $750/hunter and a $15 rebate for every dead hog regardless of size. I would hope every hunter hunted for free by the end of the year...

Comment

I think that the trap Casey made is an answer for individual properties. Building a pen large enough to capture 10-30 at one time starts putting a hurt on the local population quick. And they really never become trap shy because you leave it open until you start getting enough of the group coming in. I have a group of 14 coming in regularly behind my house everyday. I haven't built the trap/pen yet, but I have full confidence I can have all 14 caught with in the week. When the next batch migrates through, do it again. And all the while, it serves as a regular pen for deer, jumping in and out at will. These little 8ftX4ft hog traps that everyone is selling for $400+, catching one or two at a time and making all the pigs trap shy is not the answer for eradication. Catching entire sounders at one time, now that's making progress.

Comment

The one issue I have with poison is... let's say 20 to 30 hogs feed on the poison, leave to a creek bottom water source and all die and rot in the water... wouldn't that spoil the area with so many rotten pigs?

Comment

Working...
                                X