Truck A/C, musty smell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Truck A/C, musty smell

My company truck, 2017 F150, has a musty type smell that seems to be coming directly from the A/C. I have had the truck since it was new and only recently noticed it. Have changed the cabin air filter but it does not help the smell.

Any ideas on what I can do to get rid of it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Turn the air on full blast with it on fresh air and not rec. Get some lysol and spray a lot in the vents under the windshield. Keep doing that till it smells fresh

Comment

Maybe a clogged condensation drain hose? Happened to my 2011 F150...musty, foul smell from vents when running AC. Cleared clogged hose with a coat hanger wire and all good.

Comment

Ozone generator is great for this. Run the ozone generator and run the ac on recirculation. Do this a few time for a couple hours and all should be good.

Comment

I have the same truck, same year model, and it does the same thing. Seems worse after a good rain. I’m suspicious that water gets in some where and mildews but can’t figure it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My 2015 chevy smells musty after a good rain. Water has to be entering somewhere.

Comment

I think it’s an F150 thing. I had a 07’ and it did the same thing. I took it in for something else and asked the shop about it and he said “it smells like a ford”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

condensation moisture allows mold to grow. You can flush it or you can just add germ killer like lysol into your intake (and or scent). windows down turn ac to max and make sure interior recirculation button is turned off. Pop your hood and spray or pour small amount into the intake near windshield. When you start to smell it turn off your vehicle for at least an hour and then turn it on again full blast with recirculation button off with windows down. When string smell goes away you're done. Ot you can also find your condensation drip hose underneath and force liquid in then let it drain. Nastiness will come back out.

Comment

My wife’s explorer has a bit of a musty smell sometimes.

Comment

Just turn the heater on full blast for about 15 minutes, it will kill the mold/bacteria living in the coils in the dash. My wife’s Lincoln starts to smell after a lot of rain or real humid conditions. It works, try it.

Comment

Mine is doing the same thing. Thanks for the advice. I spent days searching through it thinking I left something in it.

Comment

Pull the blower motor and clean the evaporator coil.

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys. Have some things to try tomorrow!

Guess I’m not the only one in this boat

Comment

Originally posted by RJK70 View Post
                            Thanks for the advice guys. Have some things to try tomorrow!

Guess I’m not the only one in this boat

Since you aleady changed the cabin filter check the passenger side carpet to make sure the evap. is not leaking.

Comment

Does it have a sunroof? Possibly leaking and running down somewhere that's not noticeable.

Comment

Working...
                              X