North Texas Deer Rut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

North Texas Deer Rut

when does the deer rut in north Texas, more specifically Vernon, Wichita Falls area start heating up? im looking at making a trip to hunt with some family the 16th-20th of this month. hoping to see some big bucks moving in looking for the ladies.

Thanksgiving week is always prime time in my experience. Probably pre-rut in that country right now.

Comment

Usually they kick it up around thanksgiving and drive hard through the first week of December. The bucks are pushing does as we speak, but does are not receptive at this time. Young bucks sparring getting ready. Unless something changes it looks to be on schedule. Now a 34 degree morning Saturday morning will make them really frisky, if you can find them in all that green. Good luck.

Comment

I grew up in Jack County and have killed more bucks on Nov 14th. Late next week and up until Thanksgiving will be a great time.

Comment

I had 3 bucks (1 mature, 2 younger) after a doe Saturday in Throckmorton. Late yesterday afternoon on the way home from work I saw a nice buck with a doe in a neighbor’s front pasture.

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
            I grew up in Jack County and have killed more bucks on Nov 14th. Late next week and up until Thanksgiving will be a great time.
            As a newer hunter, this is what I have been waiting to see about Jack County. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunt-R View Post
              when does the deer rut in north Texas, more specifically Vernon, Wichita Falls area start heating up? im looking at making a trip to hunt with some family the 16th-20th of this month. hoping to see some big bucks moving in looking for the ladies.
              it can vary quite a bit, have seen the rut in full swing during youth hunts, others later in Nov. Despite what you hear, is not always the same week of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by cj7zrcool View Post
                I had 3 bucks (1 mature, 2 younger) after a doe Saturday in Throckmorton. Late yesterday afternoon on the way home from work I saw a nice buck with a doe in a neighbor’s front pasture.
                Same. Not often do I see mature bucks stuck on doe's this early, but I watched a 5-6yr old deer stay stuck to a doe this past Saturday in Throckmorton.

Comment

I saw a little bit of chasing from the younger bucks in Knox county last weekend. One 4.5yo buck showed up for me and it looked like his neck was starting to swell up.

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
                    I can echo this but my lucky day is November 20th. I've killed three bucks in north Texas on November 20th, and all three were either chasing or coming in aggressively to grunt calls and rattling.

Comment

i just heard that bucks in the area are gettin frisky!!! anyone else seeing this yet?

Comment

They were chasing in southern Clay county two weekends ago

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunt-R View Post
                          i just heard that bucks in the area are gettin frisky!!! anyone else seeing this yet?
                          Getting better every day. The next 12 days will be HOT!!!!!! Sit every chance you get!

Comment

I am seeing a lot.of dead deer on the sides of the roads. I would say the rut is in full swing right now.

Comment

It can be anywhere from November 5th to November 25th it’s looking like pre rut has just started in the last week just across the red and young bucks are starting to chase ..

Comment

Working...
                              X