Feeder Emptied

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeder Emptied

Went out for a hunt Sunday morning on a spot with lots of activity from does, hogs , and turkeys. I waited for my feeder to go off but never heard it. Got down about 8:30 after only seeing a few Toms and went to check feeder to find it empty. By my calculation it should have had 2 to 3 weeks of corn in it as I filled it the same time as my other feeder. So it’s empty and the battery shows extremely low. Fill the feeder later that day get home and check the camera pictures to find pictures of 150 to 200 pounds of corn had been slung and was on the ground a week ago. Animals cleaned it up over several days. It’s an All Seasons feeder and I’ve never had a problem with it. There has been some human activity going on in the area with a new fence build but now I’m concerned the feeder, timer or motor could be malfunctioning. Anybody have an opinion? Sorry for the long story.

Had this happen with my All season the motor dropped and it will run out via gravity . 600 lbs in 2 weeks ha ha

Comment

In one of our feed pens the deer will get under it and spin the thrower with the tongue and clean out the feeder in a week. It's weird that it's only on that one and none of the others. I ended up building a little cage around it so they can't spin corn out and it's worked great and haven't seen any issues with the deer not liking it.

Comment

If you have human issues, you would have them on camera unless your running a Wildgame Innovations camera.

Comment

I had the same thing happen to me a few years ago. I put 5 bags in the feeder, changed the battery and went home. A couple weeks later, from what we could see on trail cam pics, on the first timed throw the unit went haywire and instead of throwing for 5 seconds it just kept spinning. I don't know how long it took but it emptied 250 lbs of corn on the ground. I guess the word got around in the hog community because over the next day or two more and more showed up to eat their fill. It took them several days to vacuum it all up. We replaced the timer.
          Last edited by jerp; 10-31-2018, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
            I had the same thing happen to me a few years ago. I put 5 bags in the feeder, changed the battery and went home. A couple weeks later, from what we could see on trail cam pics, on the first timed throw the unit went haywire and instead of throwing for 5 seconds it just kept spinning. I don't know how long it took but it emptied 250 lbs of corn on the ground. I guess the word got around in the hog community because over the next day or two more and more showed up to eat their fill. It took them several days to vacuum it all up. We replaced the timer.

That’s what I’m thinking. It was definitely thrown. And the whole community cleaned it up. Did it ever happen again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We 2 of "the timer" units just click on and spun until battery was dead. They were replaced and was told they had some issues with certain run. 600 lbs on the ground sure looks like alot!

Comment

Originally posted by HDWRENCH View Post
                Had this happen with my All season the motor dropped and it will run out via gravity . 600 lbs in 2 weeks ha ha
                Yep. had a motor mount slip once and the door bracket broke on one. animals had a feast on dumped corn.

Comment

Yep, I had one of the timers spin out on me last year I believe it was. They replaced it!

Comment

Originally posted by rdstrong3 View Post
                    That’s what I’m thinking. It was definitely thrown. And the whole community cleaned it up. Did it ever happen again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    We put in a new battery in and tested it and it still would not shut off. It was an old timer so we just replaced it.

Comment

Raccon got the door open by reaching through and messed with the timer enough to add one more feed time with a few seconds and got on of the time slots for 38 seconds . I now have a pin on the motor door.. I had him on cam fiddling with it .

Comment

My Moutrie was emtpied of 100 lbs./wk. Found out that squirrels just go nuts with those spinners if they can at them. Installed a cage and we'll see if that helps. My other feeder had a small factory cage around it and the corn dwindles as expected over time, or at least until the raccoons start going to town. Check into the tree rat population...they could be your culprits!

Comment

Originally posted by rdstrong3 View Post
                          Went out for a hunt Sunday morning on a spot with lots of activity from does, hogs , and turkeys. I waited for my feeder to go off but never heard it. Got down about 8:30 after only seeing a few Toms and went to check feeder to find it empty. By my calculation it should have had 2 to 3 weeks of corn in it as I filled it the same time as my other feeder. So it’s empty and the battery shows extremely low. Fill the feeder later that day get home and check the camera pictures to find pictures of 150 to 200 pounds of corn had been slung and was on the ground a week ago. Animals cleaned it up over several days. It’s an All Seasons feeder and I’ve never had a problem with it. There has been some human activity going on in the area with a new fence build but now I’m concerned the feeder, timer or motor could be malfunctioning. Anybody have an opinion? Sorry for the long story.
                          If it has The Timer in it I bet this is the problem. They had some bad units produced. I had two of them dump 2,000 pounds of feed. I contacted the guys that make The Timer and it was a common problem. They sent replacements and I haven't had an issue since.

Comment

Originally posted by HDWRENCH View Post
                            Raccon got the door open by reaching through and messed with the timer enough to add one more feed time with a few seconds and got on of the time slots for 38 seconds . I now have a pin on the motor door.. I had him on cam fiddling with it .
                            That sucks but funny at the same time if you imagine the coon doing it on purpose. "Ok, I got it open -let's reset these throw times for - hmmm, how much do you guys think we can eat at one sitting? How about 38 seconds? And let's add another throw for a midnight snack!"

Comment

I had the same thing happen with "The Timer". That and it would not keep time. It is a known issue with a run of them and can be replaced.

Comment

Working...
                              X