No announcement yet.

Mechanical vs Fixed Blade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixed blade all the way. I just worry when the moment comes, the mechanical will not open correctly with my luck.

Comment

Have shot NAP spitfires for years and have probably killed 30-40 animals with them. Never had an issue with them.

Practice and shot placement is the key.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Fixed or mechanical, shouldn't matter as long as your do your part.

Comment

Killzone is awesome! All I shoot. Cut huge holes and blood goes everywhere

Comment

With well placed shots they all should work. I'm a fan of the simpler fold-open type rather than the tricky crossing scissor action that Rage made infamous, but that's just my opinion. When I shoot mechanicals it's Raptor Tricks and Rockets.

Originally posted by oktx View Post
            Don't listen to all the anti mechanical BS.
            Until you go on a hunt and the outfitter prohibits using them.
            Last edited by meltingfeather; 10-31-2018, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by milman View Post
              it’s what you’re confident with. with beans!
              fify

Comment

Killzones are a fantastic head and so are spitfires. I have used them both plus several others. I was a fixed blade guy for ever but started using mechs on deer and animals up to 300-400 pounds a few years ago. The newer mechanicals are devastating and flat out work. My best advice is don’t hug the shoulder and don’t shoot super steep angles. If you are going to use a mechanical you have to be comfortable not blaming the head if something goes wrong!

Comment

I've shot the Killzone the past 2 seasons and really like them!

Comment

Shot placement is key but I feel with fixed I have a better chance of getting a pass thru and having better blood trails.
                    I do shoot shwackers for Turkey and texas does

Comment

Originally posted by mww982 View Post
                      I have been hesitant to try the killzones, should I be? Or should I just let them fly.
                      I'm going to be the odd ball guy here. Before you try it out on a deer, I would try it out on a hog first, if you have that choice.
                      I have myself, have always been a fixed head man. Last season, I decided to try a Mech. I ended up shooting a real nice 9 pt. at 6 yards. He was quartering away from me and should have been a heart shot. I hit the top of a rib and that is as far as it went. Lesson learned. I knew better. I knew I should have tried that head out on a hog first. So, with all that said, I'm in the process of trying out some different heads. Here is what I have tested so far and the results.
                      I have shot a hog with the Swhacker. Shot was about 15 yds. broadside. Hog ran about 30 yds. and piled up. On this 100lb hog, I did not get a pass thru. In fact, the arrow only went in about 10 inches. Not the penetration I would like to see. Blood trail was fair, but I was expecting more.
                      Second head was the same I lost the buck with, Slick Trick Raptor. I shot another 100lber at ground level, maybe less than 10yds. Broadside heart shot. Hog went about 20ft and dropped dead. I could not tell what kind of penetration I got due to the amount of brush around me and the hog, but it did not punch thru the other side. Also, upon recovery, it was very clear the blades did not open upon impact. Not a lot of blood from point of impact to where she dropped. Will not use these heads again.
                      Next head up is the NAP Spitfire. Haven't had the chance to try it yet.
                      Right now, I don't believe I have the speed to use mechanicals, but going to try to test a few more.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                        With well placed shots they all should work. I'm a fan of the simpler fold-open type rather than the tricky crossing scissor action that Rage made infamous, but that's just my opinion. When I shoot mechanicals it's Raptor Tricks and Rockets.

Until you go on a hunt and the outfitter prohibits using them.
                        Aren’t there states that still prohibit them?

Comment

Originally posted by Royal View Post
                          It has always been my opinion that mechanical broadheads are used in situations where a hunter doesn't have the knowledge to get his bow properly tuned or doesn't want to take the time to do so to achieve proper Arrow flight. Obviously that is not 100% the case. Some may be drawn to them for their cut with Etc. I do feel they do have a larger chance of failure to deflection or poor penetration. In the end it's whatever floats your boat. Just be patient and make ethical shots.
                          I am with you I know lots of people that use both I just choose to take the possibility of it failing out of the equation or a bad rubber band etc.

Fixed is my choice and ditto on shot placement it is the key.

Comment

why? why are we doing this thread again?
                            -- sigh ---

Comment

Old school zwickey broadheads.

Comment

Working...
                              X